My laptop, or has the forum typecast changed?

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Psamathe

Re: My laptop, or has the forum typecast changed?

Post by Psamathe »

Re the dark theme (when you get to it):
As you've already addressed things like text colour and other aspects I think the only outstanding change would be the font change and optionally the font size (but that can be done locally in better browsers using web site settings). I'd say leave the symbols, etc. as they currently are.

That way as before you have the "dull and boring" (light) theme and the more modern dark theme.

Whilst I'm not a great fan of Lucida, I tried a local override on the font (local override on the .css) taking out the Lucida, etc. so it switched to Helvetica and it didn't make a massive difference. Similarly FontAwesome icons are great EXCEPT their quotation one - but that's hardly a massive issue and by Tuesday I doubt many of us will even notice it.

So I'd say, if you're (admin) looking for an easy life I'd leave the dark theme as it is (maybe sorting the console errors but they don't seem to be affecting anything, just internally messy).

Any change means differences and it always takes a little time to get used to them. As I said before I think there are betterdark themes but as you have already said there are other considerations like source, maintainability, reliability/bugs.

Ian
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

. The Flame icon was for a "hot topic" of more than 25 posts. Not really needed, as you can see how many pages of posts each topic has anyway. I've just disabled this feature.
Awww I liked the flame :cry:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

You should think yourselves lucky - one forum that I was on a few years back, issued permanent bans to anyone who said they didn’t like the changes!!!!!
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Interesting: all mods are different.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, it's a balancing act.

To little moderation and the Forum fills with spam and abuse.

Too much moderation and people leave the Forum to go somewhere else.

I think the mods here get the balance about right :)
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Icons are a combination:

Red = contains posts you haven't read yet.
Black = you've read everything here.

Sheet with lines = ordinary topic
Exclamation mark = sticky topic (always listed first)

With asterisk = contains a post from you

With padlock = topic thread is locked, no-one can post to it any more

When I get a spare moment I'll add these to the FAQ page.

The Flame icon was for a "hot topic" of more than 25 posts. Not really needed, as you can see how many pages of posts each topic has anyway. I've just disabled this feature.
Thanks! I'll get used to it (LOL) :D
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin