My laptop, or has the forum typecast changed?

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
gbnz

My laptop, or has the forum typecast changed?

Post by gbnz »

Apologies, anyone know? My forum page on screen has suddenly reduced in size the past 12 Hr's, with either a different and/or smaller font :wink:

Is it my laptop or has the forum screen changed? (Nb. No other sites appear to have changed)
Farrina

Re: My laptop, or has the forum typecast changed?

Post by Farrina »

Yup, same here using an iPad Air. Did have a quick look in my user control panel settings (without success) to see if font/size was configurable.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

And me. Assumed that the cat had wandered across the keyboard again.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Good to know, thought either myself or laptop had failed again!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes, the forum's themes changed yesterday.

I suggest using the Forum Update Issues thread:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=145045

Jonathan
peetee

Post by peetee »

Me too. Only superficial change, fortunately. Unlike Retrobike forum that is vastly different and not for the better, either.
One improvement here is that I can now click on the private messages tab without having to rotate my screen. A tiny issue, I’ll admit, but it was rather annoying!
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

I don’t like the changes. Font is awful and, previously, I could keep track of threads I’d contributed to but that option has disappeared.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

Yep the new font is awful.

Unfortunately 'puters are infected with a 'lets just have a fiddle around' virus. As a signed up 'why can't you just leave things alone' traditionalist this drives me mad.

I guess the logic goes like this:

Why fix things with a 1 line change of code when you can submit 1000 lines instead with 999 of those lines breaking something else!
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Agree. It was absolutely fine before.

The font is too small and awful, the layout fiddly, and it does seem change for changes sake.

I don’t use a PC to read and post on this forum but an older iPhone and the new layout is an utter pain.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

One thing here is that Admin posted a thread explaining what was happening and why.

We've had several users who seem to have missed that and the other threads where problems have been raised and dealt with pretty quickly.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

I think the font is an error. I can't really be bothered to trace it through, but when I looked yesterday it was something called 'Lucinda Grande'; previously it was something else, now it appears to be set to 'Helvetica Neue'.

I believe that the forum software has some default, which CUK had overriden, and the upgrade to the new version has somehow changed that back to something resembling the default from the factory.

It should be traced through in the various style sheets by the technical person and restored to what it was before.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

markjohnobrien wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 9:31am I don’t like the changes. Font is awful and, previously, I could keep track of threads I’d contributed to but that option has disappeared.
Have a look at the little spanner at the bottom of the page. I think that is what you want.
mjr

Post by mjr »

simonhill wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 10:54am
markjohnobrien wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 9:31am I don’t like the changes. Font is awful and, previously, I could keep track of threads I’d contributed to but that option has disappeared.
Have a look at the little spanner at the bottom of the page. I think that is what you want.
No, that is the half where you set them up, but there used to be an alert in the top bar which told you of notifications of new replies. There is now no point using the spanner to subscribe to topics because the notifications alert has gone.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

This is for email though ?
32E93331-AF06-4CF1-8D02-AFA0FD6E0C66.png
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mjr

Post by mjr »

Paulatic wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 11:01am This is for email though ?
32E93331-AF06-4CF1-8D02-AFA0FD6E0C66.png
Before the upgrade, there was a web notification option. Emailing on every reply is too noisy unless it is a special topic.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.