Sales methods - should prices be included?

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
CJ

Re: Sales methods - should prices be included?

Post by CJ »

Bonefishblues wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 8:08am Is it a particular issue (even if happening) and if so, how would it be controlled?
Sealed bids seems like one pretty good deterrent! ;-)
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

markjohnobrien wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 5:39pm
PH wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 5:18pm I'm not bothered about the price being obligatory, it's up to the seller. I'm less likely to buy something which isn't clearly priced, which is up to the buyer.
I'm more bothered that someone's posting of an item for sale descends into general chat about it. If we're going to change rules, maybe the first ought to be that a for sale thread is between the seller and potential buyers.
Agree re the second paragraph.

There was another poster on the forum who became understandably, and justifiably, miffed by people asking lots of detailed questions about his for sale bike but (eventually he realised) had no intention of buying. Hence, wasting his time.

It’s irritating and rude, all because some people are obsessive and nosy (about items they have no intention of purchasing).

If they are genuinely interested in that bike or similar type of bike, a thread can be started outside of the sale thread, or PM’s, etc.

And, of course, GLWS is allowed or similar comments.
Re people asking questions just for the sake of asking, all they are doing is prolonging the period before the post is automatically deleted.
The rudeness sometimes extends to the 'wanted' section as well eg invitations to buy retail at full price.
I would have thought that somebody genuinely interested in buying an article but needing more info would use a PM to avoid generating interest in other potential buyers.
Personal comments about the advertiser are IMO a no-no as are comments about non-members abusing cUK facilities.
Advertisers need to remember to edit their title if things change eg sale completed.

Above all, it's a straightforward system to connect buyers and sellers on a small scale. It shouldn't involve any extra work for the moderators unless there's dishonesty etc in the ad itself, nor any disputes about the condition of stuff after the transaction.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

CJ wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 10:22am
Bonefishblues wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 8:08am Is it a particular issue (even if happening) and if so, how would it be controlled?
Sealed bids seems like one pretty good deterrent! ;-)
I'm thinking that we should don leather breeches , oil up and wrestle for the right to buy. It'd liven things up no end :D

(Actually, things can get lively about just about anything, can't they!)
CJ

Post by CJ »

PH wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 10:20amI might sell something cheaper to an enthusiast who tells me it's just what they're looking for, than to someone who intends re-selling elsewhere.
Me too, but unless one already knows the buyer, how can one tell?
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Bogawski wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 8:02am Quite, I sent an e-mail to Graham about a poster who seems to get an inordinate amount of bikes for sale and didn't get a reply.
Graham is retired from moderating.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Jdsk wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 5:31pm
PH wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 5:18pmIf we're going to change rules, maybe the first ought to be that a for sale thread is between the seller and potential buyers.
That's a good principle. But I'd make exceptions for safety and legal issues, and for a third party praising an item.

Jonathan
Some people don't want even positive comments on a for sale thread.

And if it's more than a couple of sentences, they should probably post in the 'Cycling good & services - your reviews' area and post a link on the for sale item.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
leftpoole

Re: 58cm THORN AUDAX - Chris Juden's 1997 review model

Post by leftpoole »

A price should be asked-no matter who or what or where or how.....
Cyril Haearn

Re: 58cm THORN AUDAX - Chris Juden's 1997 review model

Post by Cyril Haearn »

No need for rules on suggesting or setting prices, there are plenty of other possibilities, anyone can check prices for themself

I think CJ is indeed an expert, 31 years service to TGCOO, This Great Club Of Ours
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies