Sales methods - should prices be included?

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Jdsk

Re: 58cm THORN AUDAX - Chris Juden's 1997 review model

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 3:23pmOne has noticed some machines offered for sale, apparently not sold, they reappear a few months later, one remembers seeing them, by which time the original post has of course disappeared so one can not see if the price has been raised or lowered.
Do you mean on this site or elsewhere?

Thanks

Jonathan
PH

Re: Sales methods - should prices be included?

Post by PH »

I'm not bothered about the price being obligatory, it's up to the seller. I'm less likely to buy something which isn't clearly priced, which is up to the buyer.
I'm more bothered that someone's posting of an item for sale descends into general chat about it. If we're going to change rules, maybe the first ought to be that a for sale thread is between the seller and potential buyers.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PH wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 5:18pmIf we're going to change rules, maybe the first ought to be that a for sale thread is between the seller and potential buyers.
That's a good principle. But I'd make exceptions for safety and legal issues, and for a third party praising an item.

Jonathan
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

PH wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 5:18pm I'm not bothered about the price being obligatory, it's up to the seller. I'm less likely to buy something which isn't clearly priced, which is up to the buyer.
I'm more bothered that someone's posting of an item for sale descends into general chat about it. If we're going to change rules, maybe the first ought to be that a for sale thread is between the seller and potential buyers.
Agree re the second paragraph.

There was another poster on the forum who became understandably, and justifiably, miffed by people asking lots of detailed questions about his for sale bike but (eventually he realised) had no intention of buying. Hence, wasting his time.

It’s irritating and rude, all because some people are obsessive and nosy (about items they have no intention of purchasing).

If they are genuinely interested in that bike or similar type of bike, a thread can be started outside of the sale thread, or PM’s, etc.

And, of course, GLWS is allowed or similar comments.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
joe schofield

Post by joe schofield »

'I did not put my bike up for sale to have the manner of its selling raked over by ....'

Chris. I'm sure you didn't, but you must accept that such an unorthox method of pricing (for this forum) is likely to invite some comment. There's no need to take offence; none is intended.

Perhaps if you'd mentioned some of the detail you've now supplied about why early Thorns are so good some of us might have been more appreciative. And if you'd put it on for £500 you might have found a buyer by now.

There is no evidence in ANY of the foregoing that anyone here is 'trawling the web for bargains they can trade at a profit'. Shame on you! That's exactly why this forum is so cherished.

Just consider the thought that some of us who think sealed bids are a bit rum, especially from such a true believer as yourself, might have the sanctity of this forum uppermost in their minds, not the price of your bike.

Good luck with the sale, as they say!
pigman

Re: 58cm THORN AUDAX - Chris Juden's 1997 review model

Post by pigman »

CJ wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 4:14pm So if you press me - as you have - I think this bike may be worth at least £500 to someone who appreciates its particular features. And I'm beginning to think that putting it on Ebay would be to cast pearls before swine. Maybe I'll keep it in the loft until someone more discerning comes along. I am certainly not interested in selling it to someone who's trawling the web for bargains they can trade at a profit. If that's your game, I don't mind if my manner of selling disappoints you
Good reply which gets to the crux of the sale
1. We now have a ball park figure from which to work from. So no £200 offensive offers nor no £1000 drunken offers
2. Maybe I am being naive here, but I don't see the majority of posters on here being "flip a windfall" buyers

I have sold on a number of bike forums by biding my time and responding to wanted ads, where I know a buyer wants something and offering it at a reasonable price, hence clearing my shelves and feeling satisfied that it's gone to someone who actually wants that bike/part
brumster

Post by brumster »

Maybe one solution would be to have a separate board for sales items titled: Open to offers. Though as a seller, I would find this rather tedious if I was in a position of receiving numerous offers, all of which would require a reply to the bidder.
PH

Post by PH »

joe schofield wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 7:41pm There is no evidence in ANY of the foregoing that anyone here is 'trawling the web for bargains they can trade at a profit'. Shame on you! That's exactly why this forum is so cherished.
Well the quite clearly is the evidence that people are using this form in that way. both buying stuff that shortly afterwards appears on Ebay and buying from Ebay stuff that is likely to sell better on here. The mods are aware of this, but are happy to let it go on.
Bogawski

Post by Bogawski »

Quite, I sent an e-mail to Graham about a poster who seems to get an inordinate amount of bikes for sale and didn't get a reply.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Bogawski wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 8:02am Quite, I sent an e-mail to Graham about a poster who seems to get an inordinate amount of bikes for sale and didn't get a reply.
Graham isn't doing much here these days.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

PH wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 11:46pm
joe schofield wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 7:41pm There is no evidence in ANY of the foregoing that anyone here is 'trawling the web for bargains they can trade at a profit'. Shame on you! That's exactly why this forum is so cherished.
Well the quite clearly is the evidence that people are using this form in that way. both buying stuff that shortly afterwards appears on Ebay and buying from Ebay stuff that is likely to sell better on here. The mods are aware of this, but are happy to let it go on.
Must admit, I’ve never seen this but it must be happening as you’ve got evidence.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

markjohnobrien wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 8:05am
Must admit, I’ve never seen this but it must be happening as you’ve got evidence.
Is it a particular issue (even if happening) and if so, how would it be controlled?
PH

Post by PH »

Bonefishblues wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 8:08am Is it a particular issue (even if happening) and if so, how would it be controlled?
I pointed out to the mods a bike that had just been bought off Ebay, and was told that they didn't consider it dealing as it was their hobby. I'd have minded the dealing less if the seller wasn't dishonest about their reasons for selling, the only reason is that's why they bought it. When I pointed this out to the mods I was curtly told to mind my own business.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Why is this a problem? Seems innocuous to me.
PH

Post by PH »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 9:51am
Why is this a problem? Seems innocuous to me.
That seems to be the position the moderators have taken and it's their decision to make.
it's the dishonesty I object to, IMO this isn't just a selling platform, I might sell something cheaper to an enthusiast who tells me it's just what they're looking for, than to someone who intends re-selling elsewhere. Likewise I might not haggle as hard with someone selling their pride and joy due to personal circumstances that I would with someone buying and selling for fun.