Cookie opt out

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
admin
Site Admin

Re: Cookie opt out

Post by admin »

Psamathe wrote: 8 Jun 2021, 12:51pm (My bold and colour)
In which case removing Google Analytics would not have much of an impact if so many browsers are blocking collection of the data you say the site owners so desperately need - they are not getting that data anyway 'cos of browser blocks.
Indeed. Google Analytics is perhaps becoming slowly less and less useful. At some point Google Analytics will need to switch to using some other indicator of who is visiting what. They will, because selling targetted advertising is their core business and main revenue stream. Cookies might disappear, but advertiser tracking isn't going away any time soon. Too much money in it.

There have been some signs of "first-party" cookie tracking using a proxy server, so the Google Analytics server looks like it's on the same domain as the website. For example, it would be possible for this Cycling UK to have analytics.cyclinguk.org as an alias for the Google Analytics server, thus potentially allowing tracking even though "google-analytics.com" trackers are blocked. Apparently some sites already do this, using CNAMES, but it would be possible using an HTTP proxy too, even more tricky to spot.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

admin wrote: 8 Jun 2021, 11:03am
Mick F wrote: 7 Jun 2021, 6:46pm I have Adblock etc, but whenI click on the link, I get this .................
The error message says "Safari can't open... ...because macOS doesn't recognize Internet addresses starting with "abp:".

So something, perhaps with the initials "ABP" has mangled the URL in a way that means Safari can't understand it. My best guess is that the "something" is Adblock Plus.

If you disable Adblock Plus temporarily, the link should then work fine.
Good afternoon.
Just logged in after a long walk with doggie in the lovely day!

Give me a few minutes .......... after "emptying the forum" and I'll check again after disabling Adblock and get back to this issue.

I must say, though, I've raised this cookie issue on here before. Probably Tea Shop, and got short shrift from the replies.
I say again, I don't give a toss about cookies, as I delete them and delete my browsing history every day or even twice or three times a day. If other folk don't do that, more fool them.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

There isn't an opt out option.
I can uninstall, but not opt out.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just done a search.
I've been on here since 2004 banging on about cookies.

Happy about them.
Stop warning me about their existence !!!!!!!!

Give me a Safari extension that blocks the warnings permanently, please.

I know this isn't a CUK forum issue, but it's a mouthpiece for me to harp on about it. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hello, I view many areas of computer technology and practices as very intrusive and controlling, yuck!
It starts by insisting that all users want every conceivable whizz and App, so one gets battered with unwanted crepe, (cleaned up spelling).
It can be as annoying a predictive facility on phones & so on, to eliminate it would seem to be well beyond my skill set :oops: .
Why can't tech companies offer a bare bones model to suit the requirements of duffers such as myself?
Cookies are just yet another way of them wanting to know about everything I do, even my TV keeps acting the smart ar*e! Help :oops: MM
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cookies are a way for a website to remember who you are, and/or retain a specific state, such as sorting order preferences. They're needed because HTTP is a stateless protocol: every request is completely separate. Cookies are sent with each request, and can be used to look up a session key or similar so the website remembers your preferences, or login state, or whatever.

Cookies in themselves aren't bad, or dangerous, they're just short snippets of text stored by your web browser.

The use of cookies starts to intrude on people's privacy when big sites (Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc.) set cookies on multiple websites, to remember you and your preferences as you move around the internet. This is how they target adverts at you, for things you have just searched for. It's not so much the cookie that's the problem, it's more the fact that they're gathering vast amounts of data on you with a cookie to identify who you are.

The GDPR was intended to make it illegal to use cookies for tracking people without first asking permission. A noble aim, but implemented completely the wrong way around. It's much better to be asked once per browser, rather than once per website. Your browser has complete control over which cookies it sends to websites, and which cookies it won't send. Websites may or may not be trustworthy: they could say they aren't tracking you, but track you anyway.

Anyway, we are where we are. The GDPR might well mean we're legally required to ask everyone who visits the Forum whether they're OK with Google Analytics or not. Hence the annoying popups you've come to love might be coming here soon. From a technical point of view it's annoying and mostly pointless, but it's a legal requirement. Blame the politicians and law-makers, not the website developers.

To answer merseymouth, the reason this tracking is a problem is because Google and Facebook and the like have discovered the eye-wateringly immense value in gathering data about people. It's all about selling targetted advertising, still very Big Business. In 2020, Google made $146,920,000,000 in advertising revenue. That's why Google is Big.

In the case of Facebook, the targetted advertising can be used to influence national election results (see: Cambridge Analytica) which is another massively lucrative exercise. Facebook knows your family and friends, and can work out your political views. They'll then send you political adverts which you will probably like, subtly influencing your ideas on how to vote. We naturally like organisations that fit our opinions.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

admin wrote: 8 Jun 2021, 6:07pm ..........the annoying popups you've come to love might be coming here soon. From a technical point of view it's annoying and mostly pointless, but it's a legal requirement. Blame the politicians and law-makers, not the website developers ...............
Bring in the people who create apps and blockers.
They will create a tool so the popup warnings will disappear to get around the "law".
Yes please, PDQ please.

Never had it before, so we don't need it now .............. unless you want to opt in to the warnings. Some people want the warnings. Some people couldn't give a toss because they understand the issues. Please don't consider us all "children" about this.

Not pointing a finger at Admin, or this forum, or CUK, as they are bound by the (stupid childish) rules.
Anthony, please don't take this personally, it's just me venting my spleen.
Mick F. Cornwall
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No problem, it seriously annoys me too.

Try the Vivaldi browser, and the uBlock Origin browser plugin. They work wonders - I hardly ever see a cookie popup these days!
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Admin, So as I won't touch "Farcebook", "Utube", "Twitter" et al I should be safe? My response must be Jim Royle's favourite one liner - "My ***e!".
Luckily at my age and condition I won't suffer the risks for too long :( . MM
mjr

Post by mjr »

admin wrote: 8 Jun 2021, 6:07pm The GDPR might well mean we're legally required to ask everyone who visits the Forum whether they're OK with Google Analytics or not. Hence the annoying popups you've come to love might be coming here soon. From a technical point of view it's annoying and mostly pointless, but it's a legal requirement. Blame the politicians and law-makers, not the website developers.
According to the ICO, the law requires that the consent request is "prominent and separate from our terms and conditions" not that it is annoying or a pop-up, so the website developers who use annoying pop-ups unnecessarily also deserve blame.

As do site owners demanding Google Analytics and basically selling their visitor data to Google in exchange for a few pretty charts. It is good that people will have to be asked if they want to be an easy Google-slave or not.

As well as the politicians and law-makers for a law that is spectacularly ineffective.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Syd wrote: 8 Jun 2021, 12:15pm The angst some people know on the subject, aside from what it is doing to their blood pressure, is amusing.
I think you may be extrapolating a bit far from written words. Remember that my avatar is smiling while yours looks very stressed indeed!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

merseymouth wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 4:12pm Hi Admin, So as I won't touch "Farcebook", "Utube", "Twitter" et al I should be safe?
Nah. They touch you, with the help of willing webmasters and site owners. If you refuse permission, like admin says, they "fingerprint" your browser instead and make a digital shadow of you, following you around the web and spying on you so they can target adverts at you, all for the greater good of their shareholders.
Luckily at my age and condition I won't suffer the risks for too long :( . MM
Advertisers will probably figure out you're dying before you tell your family, like they have done for pregnancies.
Syd

Post by Syd »

mjr wrote:
Syd wrote: 8 Jun 2021, 12:15pm The angst some people know on the subject, aside from what it is doing to their blood pressure, is amusing.
I think you may be extrapolating a bit far from written words. Remember that my avatar is smiling while yours looks very stressed indeed!
I may well be extrapolating but I am far from stressed.

My avatar and I have little in common.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just a little update.

I'm now using Firefox.
I have installed Adblocker for Firefox and something (I can't remember the name of) to get rid of the cookie warnings.
Both work perfectly.

In the process of assembling the passwords for websites, and I've already transferred all my bookmarks.
When the process is complete, and there's no reason to use Safari any more, I will delete it.

No doubt more up-to-date Macs can have a more up-to-date Safari, but I'm stuck in the past for now. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall