Standardised Sales Form for bikes

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
rich.hr6

Standardised Sales Form for bikes

Post by rich.hr6 »

Would it be thought possible and/or beneficial to have a standard list of details and dimensions to fill in for bike sales, that enabled and helped sellers put down all the relevant and important information to aid potential purchasers make up their minds? So many bikes are listed without the details that help me, and possibly many others, make the effort to even bother going any further.

Location....price....teeth count on cogs..........all handy things to know, at least I would have thought so!!

Or is it just me?????
De Sisti

Re: Standardised Sales Form for bikes

Post by De Sisti »

The moderators won't stand for it! They allow individuals to post the flimsiest of details
for items with no accompanying picture. It's a shame, but it's true. I have often mentioned
it to them, but they don't seem to be bothered.
sizbut

Post by sizbut »

Why? If you're interested or might be but need to know more just ask. If you're not then no harm. No form is ever going to cover everything without becoming ridiculously long, a pain to complete, and a pain to maintain.
Aikon

Post by Aikon »

From another forum I use, I’ve been copying it when I sell stuff.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

sizbut wrote: 28 Aug 2021, 10:15pm Why? .
It's being lazy and disrespectful!
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Aikon wrote: 28 Aug 2021, 11:14pm From another forum I use, I’ve been copying it when I sell stuff.
Yes, but how would a buyer know if the item you're selling isn't damaged in anyway?
How would they know whether you've mis-described your item without seeing actual
photographs of it?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

rich.hr6 wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 11:14am Would it be thought possible and/or beneficial to have a standard list of details and dimensions to fill in for bike sales, that enabled and helped sellers put down all the relevant and important information to aid potential purchasers make up their minds?
I'm trying to think a way of trying it and seeing what happens. Without any central edict or agreement.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

There are forum guidelines which stress the value of photos

viewtopic.php?p=344489#p344489

Expecting any official enforcement of this seems misplaced: there's already a lot of effort going into preventing spam etc. If an item is unsold though a lack of information, then sellers may get the message, or not. If a potential buyer badly wants more info they can ask.
===========================================================
PS This is from Graham when putting the frames size in the title was introduced

viewtopic.php?p=733089#p733089
sizbut

Post by sizbut »

De Sisti wrote: 29 Aug 2021, 6:10am It's being lazy and disrespectful!
Sure, not providing enough information might be undermining their chances of a sale, but "disrespectful" - hardly.
fossala

Post by fossala »

sizbut wrote: 30 Aug 2021, 12:04pm
De Sisti wrote: 29 Aug 2021, 6:10am It's being lazy and disrespectful!
Sure, not providing enough information might be undermining their chances of a sale, but "disrespectful" - hardly.
This is the first thing I thought. Entitlement to the nth degree.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

De Sisti wrote: 28 Aug 2021, 9:22pm The moderators won't stand for it! They allow individuals to post the flimsiest of details
for items with no accompanying picture. It's a shame, but it's true. I have often mentioned
it to them, but they don't seem to be bothered.
The moderators don't have time to vet every for sale post in either direction (lacklustre or formulaic). They are volunteers, giving their own time to make the forum a more decent place. The detail in for sale posts tends to get fleshed out by questions, or the item doesn't get sold...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

rich.hr6 wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 11:14am ...teeth count on cogs...
I think you mean sprockets, cogs have teeth which engage with another cog, if the teeth engage with a chain then it's a sprocket. (yes, IGH have cogs, but the ratios are also rather well known)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
rich.hr6

Post by rich.hr6 »

I stand, well actually sit, as it were, on my Brompton, corrected!!!

And....I shall continue to count the teeth on my cogs, even though they are sprockets. Thankyou very much.

Happy Christmas....