Covid Booster Thread moderation

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Covid Booster Thread moderation

Post by Mick F »

:D :D
Nicely put TC.

I still stand by the fact of plain English and post Covid was what I was taking about, and NOT saying I was suffering from the well-documented syndrome. Never ever said I was.

I was ill post Covid, not from Post Covid ......... and I was at pains to say that, and I still stand by that.

Over and out! :D

PS:
Over and out, as I'm taking the doggie for a walk now.
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 11:24am I was ill post Covid, not from Post Covid ......... and I was at pains to say that, and I still stand by that.

Over and out! :D

PS:
Over and out, as I'm taking the doggie for a walk now.
1. Please stop digging. TC was right. Even being blunt, I am sure you can find another expression to avoid confusion with the jargon, no matter whether the person pointing out the jargon meaning did it in an irritating way. How about "after covid"? You don't strike me as the sort of person who would usually throw lumps of Latin into your writing.

2. Please stop trying to shut down disagreement with your posts. That's a bit chilling from someone with a moderator label. It's fine if you don't reply but don't pretend you're not reading. ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mick F wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 9:02am
Hellhound wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 11:41pm I have to disagree with you on questioning and misinformation.There is no misinformation just information.Questioning that information is how we debate and form opinions.
Yep.
Utterly agree.

I've been moderated on here regarding this. Opinions aren't facts or misinformation, just formed personal opinions and are open to argument.
No - there is misinformation... There are plenty of people who think that vaccines and autism are linked. Any suggestion there is pure misinformation.

Similarly there are a lot of lines of misinformation about covid, and they are actively dangerous.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 2:01pm
Mick F wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 9:02am
Hellhound wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 11:41pm I have to disagree with you on questioning and misinformation.There is no misinformation just information.Questioning that information is how we debate and form opinions.
Yep.
Utterly agree.

I've been moderated on here regarding this. Opinions aren't facts or misinformation, just formed personal opinions and are open to argument.
No - there is misinformation... There are plenty of people who think that vaccines and autism are linked. Any suggestion there is pure misinformation.

Similarly there are a lot of lines of misinformation about covid, and they are actively dangerous.
I would agree. Additionally an aspect of "amplification" - more people spreading misinformation even as "their opinion" the more prominent it becomes. More prominent means more people will get to see the misinformation and more see it often. And repeated misinformation/amplification gives the impression that the misinformation is a widely held view which makes some more ready to believe it.

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mjr wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 12:03pm 1. Please stop digging. TC was right. Even being blunt, I am sure you can find another expression to avoid confusion with the jargon, no matter whether the person pointing out the jargon meaning did it in an irritating way. How about "after covid"? You don't strike me as the sort of person who would usually throw lumps of Latin into your writing.

2. Please stop trying to shut down disagreement with your posts. That's a bit chilling from someone with a moderator label. It's fine if you don't reply but don't pretend you're not reading. ;)
Back home now, and back on-line.
Not shutting down anything, I was just signing off.

Another expression?
I had Covid19 and tested positive. That much is history.
I had little no symptoms (looking back to then, I had a meal that I couldn't taste properly, and it was only one meal, and no more) and unless we had been given a testing kit, I (and we) wouldn't have suspected it in the slightest.
We had a play with the kits, to see how they worked, and we were very much surprised and alarmed that I was positive.
Mrs Mick F remained negative throughout, and I still have no idea where I contracted Covid.

After testing negative, I became ill.
Not well at all.
Still negative but could hardly get up out of bed or out of the arm-chair.

I was suffering for a few days - a week? .............. and here we get to the nub of the issue ..............

I was ill post Covid, after Covid, because of having Covid, later after being negative ............. the expressions can get longer and longer and longer.

Post means afterwards, like pre means before. It's English, as much of it is Latin, German, French etc etc.
Happy to continue this argument ad infinitum if you want.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 3:22pm ....After testing negative, I became ill.
Not well at all.
Still negative but could hardly get up out of bed or out of the arm-chair.

I was suffering for a few days - a week? .............. and here we get to the nub of the issue ..............

I was ill post Covid, after Covid, because of having Covid, later after being negative ............. the expressions can get longer and longer and longer.

Post means afterwards, like pre means before. It's English, as much of it is Latin, German, French etc etc.
Happy to continue this argument ad infinitum if you want.
Actually the test kits only test for virus in you nose and upper throat. You can have virus elsewhere in your body. No virus in nose & throat does NOT mean you don't have virus elsewhere - so it is quite possible you still had the same Covid infection but there was no longer virus in your nose and/or throat. Even under your unique definition of what is actually the term for a condition, nothing to do with post-Covid just highlighting that the test only tests 2 regions of the body.

Negative or positive from a PCR/LFT does not mean you don't/do have the disease, just an indication as to likely possibilities. LFT is particularly poor in that it gives high numbers of false negatives.

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes Ian, you are no doubt correct.

All I can say, is a repeat of what I saw and felt. Lateral Flow and PCR showed I had it ............ and then tested negative.
Double jabbed, and the second one was 1st May.

Dates?

Little bit of symptoms 2nd August but didn't suspect a thing.
6th August positive
9th August negative
Not well at all 11th August
Feeling ok 22nd August.

I still stand by my statement.
Post/after/because of Covid 19 I was ill but certainly not during it!
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Read this website from NHS.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavir ... ong-covid/

After reading it, look at my screenshot from my records.
I put an X next to my symptoms.
Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 16.05.15.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 4:08pm Read this website from NHS.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavir ... ong-covid/

After reading it, look at my screenshot from my records.
I put an X next to my symptoms.Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 16.05.15.png
From the same page
For some people, coronavirus (COVID-19) can cause symptoms that last weeks or months after the infection has gone.
The tests do not show that the infection has gone, they only indicate that it has likely gone (PCR) or maybe gone (LFT) from your nose and/or throat area.

Also from the NHS
https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavirus/post-covid-syndrome-long-covid/ wrote:What is Post-COVID syndrome/Long COVID?
The NICE guideline scope ... defines post-COVID syndrome as signs and symptoms that develop during or following an infection consistent with COVID-19 which continue for more than 12 weeks and are not explained by an alternative diagnosis.
(my bold and colour)

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Again, and I repeat.
I was suffering illness after Covid/post Covid/after testing negative etc etc etc.
Not well at all.

No mention of syndromes or Long Covid or Post-Covid.

Post vs Pre.
After vs Before.

The NHS statement is this:
About long COVID
How long it takes to recover from COVID-19 is different for everybody.
Many people feel better in a few days or weeks and most will make a full recovery within 12 weeks. But for some people, symptoms can last longer.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS:
Over and out.
Off down the pub (through the pouring rain and gales) as it's the popular Friday 5 o'Clock Club there.

Argue amongst yourselves while I'm away. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Just read something that amused me. Here it is from I think was Slowster's second post n on here.
They argue in exactly the same superficial way they would with someone over a pint in the pub, i.e. not actually arguing but just dismissing what other people say and simply stating and re-stating their own opinions, which are all they are really interested in.
First amusing part was about arguing like in a pub. One of the arguments for not banning political threads iirc revolve around them being a robust debate like mates have in the pub.

Second amusing part was about dismissing what others say and just restating their own opinions. Also something used a lot in political threads.

Third our rather second and a half is about only being interested in their own opinions. It's often the case when there's a gaggle of posters on political threads with very similar locations on the political spectrum pretty much only interested in having a sounding board for their opinions. Dissenting opinions get shut down with persistence. Classic sign of this approach is repeated snipped threads where only small bits are taken out of the whole context or a post is surgically snipped into smaller sub points that are torn apart often using the poor phrasing of the poster who's thread is being countered against them. Meanings are understood but if there's any possibility of using an ambiguity of phrasing they will.

As I said, I found that quoted bit amusing. It's part of why I think political threads on this forum don't work. It's also a bit like arguing from both ends if pub like discussions are OK but also not OK for political threads.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 2:01pm No - there is misinformation... There are plenty of people who think that vaccines and autism are linked. Any suggestion there is pure misinformation.
I would still say that that is information and they are entitled,rightly or wrongly,to think that.
There are many things on both sides of any argument/debate/state of affairs that one could label 'misinformation' to suit their needs.
ncutler

Post by ncutler »

People are entirely free and entitled to be as daft, incoherent and stupid as they like as long as it's only their own funeral.

Promulgating lunatic stupidity in a way that damages, or might damage, or might conceivably do a tiny amount of harm to other people is not acceptable and is not going to happen on my watch.

Daft ideas are not information: they remain daft ideas. They do provide useful 'information' about the education, knowledge, thought processes and likely motives of the perpetrators.

There are no two sides to the vaccination -> autism argument. The notion that one might have to be 'balanced', even handed or impartial is a fraudulent confidence trick promoted by people and organisations with a pecuniary interest or antisocial axes to grind.
No pasaran