I don't like the new look!

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: I don't like the new look!

Post by Mick F »

Agree with you, Patrick, about the colours in Special Edition.

I just swapped over to look, but I don't half prefer Subsilver2! Much better.
Mick F. Cornwall
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

anything that has the winged wheel is good for me!
ian burt

Post by ian burt »

I agree, the new look is awful and I'm not a computer geek so I don't know what all the other versions mean. What was wrong with the old style, easy to read, clear and uncluttered. On the new one there is far too much repetititve bits that do not add anything (why keep on saying 'by' the column heading says it already. It appears that the new format has been designed by a computer consultant who needs to justify trheir fees but has no idea of what a real use needs.
Graham

Post by Graham »

ian burt wrote:I agree, the new look is awful and I'm not a computer geek so I don't know what all the other versions mean.

Find the link on your screen "User Control Panel"

Click on the Tab labelled "Board Preferences"

Find the label "My Board Style" . . . dropdown list alongside.

Try the different styles in the list. The solution is in YOUR hands.

ian burt wrote:It appears that the new format has been designed by a computer consultant who needs to justify their fees but has no idea of what a real use needs.

How to win friends and influence people :wink:
ian burt

Post by ian burt »

Graham, thanks for the information but I think you've missed the point a bit. With modern IT you can, if you want and know how, change anything to anything. This does mean that the original designer doesn't have to think of what the users needs are. You have to want what you get. It's the way everything seems to be going but it does ostracise people who just want to use the prodict without hassle. (also, would the forum save my changes or would that be done on the PC being used as I use the machines in my local library and they don't save ANY changes)
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

ian burt wrote:... It appears that the new format has been designed by a computer consultant who needs to justify trheir fees ...

As far as I know, Theme designers don't charge anything. And let's remember - this website is free.
Si

Post by Si »

patricktaylor wrote:
ian burt wrote:... It appears that the new format has been designed by a computer consultant who needs to justify trheir fees ...

As far as I know, Theme designers don't charge anything. And let's remember - this website is free.

...as is the vast majority of the time that the admin staff donate to sorting out its other 'problems'.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

ian burt wrote: (also, would the forum save my changes or would that be done on the PC being used as I use the machines in my local library and they don't save ANY changes)

Your preferences are saved within the forum, so when you log in, it comes up in the way you chose - no matter which computer or where.
Mick F. Cornwall
drossall

Post by drossall »

Will you be adding any more? I'd still quite like to try vphpbb3 :twisted:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

drossall wrote:Will you be adding any more? I'd still quite like to try vphpbb3 :twisted:

Your wish is my command, eventually...

Please find vphpbb3 as a style, for those vBulletin fans amongst you! :)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ian burt wrote:What was wrong with the old style

The old style was the default look for phpBB version 2. The new style is the default look for phpBB version 3. We got the new style when we upgrade the Forum software to the current version. But this isn't a problem, you can easily switch back to the old style - see the first post in this thread.

ian burt wrote:easy to read, clear and uncluttered.

It's a personal preference thing. I much prefer the new style: much easier to read the actual message text without all those border lines. Definitely a more modern look in terms of how websites are developing. In fact I'd say the new style is less cluttered than the old one, but I'm not a graphic designer so that's only my personal opinion ;)

ian burt wrote:It appears that the new format has been designed by a computer consultant who needs to justify trheir fees but has no idea of what a real use needs.

Both the old and new styles were designed by Tom Beddard at http://www.subblue.com/, but I don't know whether the phpBB community paid him for his work. Certainly the CTC obtained this forum software for free: none of your membership money was wasted :)
drossall

Post by drossall »

wow, a style all of my own :D

That was service above expectations, thanks.
bailout

Post by bailout »

Don't know if this is the right thread but I just wan't to say that I much prefer the new forum. :D