Posting an image

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Graham

Posting an image

Post by Graham »

Requirement :
You have a photo on your PC and you want to show it in your post.

Constraint :
The filesize limit on attachments appears to be set at 1.47 Mb. ( That sounds a bit large to me as photo-storage takes a lot of space and space == £££ ). There doesn't appear to be an autoshrink facility for photos on this new board (??)

Scaling/shrinking the size of a photo in a photo editor is trivial.

Procedure :
At the bottom of the posting window, you will see the tab "attachments". Click it.

Browse for the filename of your photo.

Choose the "inline" option

Press "Go" button or whatever it is labelled.

phpbb3 User instructions are here
admin
Site Admin

Re: Posting an image

Post by admin »

Graham wrote:The filesize limit on attachments appears to be set at 1.47 Mb. ( That sounds a bit large to me as photo-storage takes a lot of space and space == £££ ).

That's OK at the moment, we've plenty of space. It means that people are more likely to be able to upload photos directly, without having to resize them.

Graham wrote:There doesn't appear to be an autoshrink facility for photos on this new board

I've set it to create thumbnails for images wider than 400px: click on the thumbnail to see the original full-size image.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thank you, Graham.

This a big improvement to the old forum, it was slow and cumbersome, and now we can click on the photo and see the original in a new window in it's full glory!

BUT
What has happened to our old photographs? I know they're there in the threads that they were pertaining to, but we had a "gallery" we could see and use the photos again and again from. I had photos there that were not used, and ready to post when the moment was right.

Where are they all?
Can we view and use them?
Mick F. Cornwall
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Mick F wrote:What has happened to our old photographs? I know they're there in the threads that they were pertaining to, but we had a "gallery" we could see and use the photos again and again from. I had photos there that were not used, and ready to post when the moment was right.

Where are they all?
Can we view and use them?

They are still on the server. I need to spend some time investigating how images can be transferred from the old "gallery" storage to appear in the new "Manage attachments" list. At the same time it would be good to edit posts using the old system so that they use the new system, but that might be difficult.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thank Anthony,
I know you must be pulling your hair out trying to get the forum the way we all want it!

Good luck, and well done!

Regards,
Mick
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

Graham wrote:Constraint :
The filesize limit on attachments appears to be set at 1.47 Mb.

I couldn't upload anything greater than 245 Kb (I think), but my pic was higher than the previous 300 pixel limit (good).

Ditto well done Anthony :)

Is it so important to have the old gallery pics available in the new attachments gallery? Seems a lot of work. Why not upload them again? thirdcrank's point about not having saved them on his PC - if they are in a post that is still viewable, they could be saved to the PC from there (right click on image etc).
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'd not want to create an issue over the gallery. Searching old posts to repost will be OK if the search facility is better, something I've not had time to check.

I do think it is important that anybody wanting to post a pic should be able to do so in a 100% user-friendly way. It seems obvious to me that a lot of the most valuable stuff on here comes from occasional posters and although we are a pretty friendly bunch, some people are a bit timid about posting, especially if it means asking for help. I'd class myself as a reasonably competent and experienced computer user (having first been thrown in at the deep end over 25 years ago when the only user-friendly bit of kit was the 'off' switch) but I have not the patience to experiment while software puts its tongue out at me. That's probably a character weakness but I'm not the only one and a lot of very normal people's eyes glaze over at the first mention of computer tech.

As in ' a picture is worth 1,000 words.'

(As an example of a pic I have reposted, somebody once advertised for something which sounded like a Karrimor Uplift - I had both models so I sent a pic. I eventually gave them one of them. Pic no use on my computer, images in PMs and sale and wanted, gone forever. Since then, several people have advertised for the same thing without knowing what it was called. I've reposted the pic from gallery several times to help them with their search. Cannot now even take a new pic because when last seen it was in France on the bike of the satisfied new owner - and his pic in a PM to me has also gone forever. Not a big deal. Not even a little deal, and certainly not something to bother about. If I do search, I'd probably find a copy in 'Does anybody know' .)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Nicely put TC.

I have photos that I would like to post again, and I have no idea where they are in the thousands of posts.

In my gallery, I knew where they were, and could use them time and again if I wanted.
Mick F. Cornwall
yoyo

Post by yoyo »

I have again attempted to upload a photograph from my files and got the message that it is too big. There was no 'inline' option anywhere. I am most disappointed and quite angry that something that used to be so simple has now become an impossibility. Where are there specific instructions that work? The change in the layout and workings of the forum are definitely not an improvement. It is not as clear to read and the easy photo uploading is no longer possible.
gaz

Post by gaz »

OK, I can get an image to the forum, although the file size limit is saying 256KiB. I think Graham's instructions in the OP are pretty good apart from the filesize.

But I've still got some other problems, some of which I've overcome on this thread. It's a test board thread so it will disappear over time.

Biggest question is how do I display an image from my attachments list, (i.e. one that's already uploaded to the site on the new version) without needing to upload it again?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Also on Gaz's link to the test board, I've raised an issue about deletion.

I know how much certain threads have been ruined by people using Photobucket to put images on here. They forget that if they delete them or move them in any way, the threads get spoiled as the pictures disappear.

This can happen now with the in-house attachment lists as we can now delete. The old forum didn't allow for deletion.
Mick F. Cornwall
Graham

Post by Graham »

gaz wrote:OK, I can get an image to the forum, although the file size limit is saying 256KiB. I think Graham's instructions in the OP are pretty good apart from the filesize.

Sorry Gaz I haven't been following the details of your investigations.
Do I need to change something in my "simple instruction" ?

gaz wrote:Biggest question is how do I display an image from my attachments list, (i.e. one that's already uploaded to the site on the new version) without needing to upload it again?

I would go to the post where the required photo is already shown.
EDIT it and copy the line of text referencing the photo.
Paste that into the new post.

There is probably a better way . . . . which will reveal itself with our growing experience.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Graham wrote:Sorry Gaz I haven't been following the details of your investigations.
Do I need to change something in my "simple instruction" ?

The forum definitely refuses to upload anything above 256kb for me. It's only the filesize that seems wrong in your instructions.

Graham wrote:
gaz wrote:Biggest question is how do I display an image from my attachments list, (i.e. one that's already uploaded to the site on the new version) without needing to upload it again?

I would go to the post where the required photo is already shown.
EDIT it and copy the line of text referencing the photo.
Paste that into the new post.

If only it were that simple.

Here's a short example:-

Upload of a new suitably sized pic:-

HPIM0750.jpg

Now I'll quote from this post to show you what happens next. It'll take me a few minutes to sort out.
Last edited by gaz on 3 Mar 2009, 9:01pm, edited 1 time in total.
gaz

Post by gaz »

From a quote the code line appears in square brackets as {attachment=0}HPIM0750.jpg{/attachment}.

This appears as:-

HPIM0750.jpg

To get the image I have to right click and copy the shortcut into image brackets, having first removed "&mode=view".
i.e.{img}http://forum.ctc.org.uk/download/file.php?id=73{/img}

This gets an enlarged image like this:-

Graham wrote:There is probably a better way . . . . which will reveal itself with our growing experience.

I hope so bcause the above method is extremely cumbersome to put it politely.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Just to add another issue the old gallery used to display the pic making it easy to choose the one you wanted.

The new attachments list does not - meaning I'm going to have to choose sensible filenames rather than the series of numbers that my camera provides by default. Not a great hardship.