posting pics (again)

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
pigman

posting pics (again)

Post by pigman »

Ive tried to search to avoid repeating a post, but cant find what I really want and readily admit to being a technophobe/numpty, so any advice must be real idiot style stuff.

I've said that I'd try to sell a bike on this forum for a mate. Neither of us have cameras, nor home pc's. I use the works pc to communicate on this forum and reckon that with a bit of asking around I could borrow a camera, but dont know anyone well enough who uses home internet. As its a works Pc, I'm not allowed to upload any photographic software to enable me to in turn upload pics onto the forum. Question is therefore, can I simply upload a photo direct from the camera using a USB cable. I feel that without the obligatory pics, a sale is unlikely to happen. Any ideas out there?
patricktaylor

Re: posting pics (again)

Post by patricktaylor »

With a USB cable you can probably download a pic from the camera to the PC without installing any new software (I do). Then email the pic file (.jpg) to someone who would be happy to upload it to the forums for you (me?). This method would allow them (me?) to edit the image as required - adjust size, crop, colour, contrast, etc.

If you'd like my email address, let me know. I'd be happy to help.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Pigman, I get the feeling from your OP that the boss isn't going to be happy about you uploading a pic from a camera to a work PC. I don't know if you can upload straight from a camera to the forum, sounds unlikely to me.

Find a helpful friend with a camera and a PC?

Or try your local library. Most have PCs these days. There will be no problem uploading a pic from a camera to the library PC.

However library PCs tend to loose all data at the end of your session.

Assuming you have an e-mail account with yahoo or some such provider (easy to set up if you don't), rather than just a work based one, log in to your e-mail account, create a draft e-mail and attach the pic. Save the draft with the attachment.

You can then either send that to patricktaylor for squashing and uploading to the forum or simply offer to e-mail pics to any interested party.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

gaz wrote: I don't know if you can upload straight from a camera to the forum, sounds unlikely to me.

I can.

My camera appears on my desktop as a Volume. I can navigate to it via the browse button, then navigate into the camera. I won't do it to demonstrate, as my camera is set up to take huge 1.5Mb files, and I resize to make them small enough upload to the forum efficiently. I suppose I could reset it for a demonstration if you'd like, but I know it can be done.

However, Mrs Mick F's camera doesn't come up on the desktop, and I have to use a prog called Image Capture to retrieve the files. I could use iPhoto too. So I suppose it depends on what camera you have. I have a Konica and Mrs Mick F's is a Cannon.
Mick F. Cornwall
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

You might be able to set the camera to 640 x 480 pixel size (lowest resolution) before taking the shot,this may allow a direct upload to the website as per Micks suggestion.

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
pigman

Post by pigman »

patricktaylor wrote:With a USB cable you can probably download a pic from the camera to the PC without installing any new software (I do). Then email the pic file (.jpg) to someone who would be happy to upload it to the forums for you (me?). This method would allow them (me?) to edit the image as required - adjust size, crop, colour, contrast, etc.

If you'd like my email address, let me know. I'd be happy to help.

patrick
thanks for the offer. The stage I'm at is that Ive got a photo onto the Pc, but cant upload it to the forum cos it says the filesize is to big. Unforunately I get blocker messages (guessing its part of our work's network admin setup) if I try to download any imaging software eg. Gimp. If the offer still stands, can I email the photo to you for to compress etc to a permissable filesize. The pc quotes the size as 1413kb. Please let me know how you feel, no offence taken if youve got lots on at the mo' and cant do.
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

No problem at all. I'll send you my email address in private message.