Wordle or similar?

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
thekelticfringe

Wordle or similar?

Post by thekelticfringe »

I've just tried to pick up the threads on a (........eeerrrm) thread that I think seems to be about the politicisation of bikes. (Sorry, I know it's Sunday and probably at least 1/2 of us are planning to get down the pub or tuck into a large piece of roast flesh, but please stick with me).

Howabout a 'Wordle'-like techy gadget thingey that pulls out keywords from a thread so that a newcomer can get an overview of the previous (insert large # of) pages? Probably 'green' too :mrgreen:

Or would that spoil the fun?
Pedal faster, I hear banjos!
gaz

Re: Wordle or similar?

Post by gaz »

I'm not part of the admin team but I think the answer probably lies in another thread.

In which case the answer's probably no.

Of cousre if there was a Wordle facility (whatever that may be) you'd have found that out already. :wink:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sounds like a nice idea, but we'd need to find some code to create the Wordle-like images (the Wordle code is copyright IBM and not available for use), and the amount of processing involved would put a large strain on the Forum's server :(

Unfortunately I don't think any system would actually add much value to the list of topics: conversations drift off subject quite often, and even humans sometimes don't always notice where sarcasm is being used to make the opposite point.

People who write vague topic subjects will find that they get fewer responses than if they write a more descriptive (or provocative!) subject.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Today's word.

Here's a clue - an essential part of a wheel build.

Post here if you get it in one. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Don’t post clues, it ruins it!

Pretty obvious what it was from that clue, but to play fair I still put in my seed words, so scored a three.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Here's a clue - an essential part of a wheel build.
But cup-of-tea is 8 letters ! :roll:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
drossall

Post by drossall »

There is the idea of a word cloud. It's more usual to use that where you've got a set of "documents" e.g. search results. In the cloud, common words appear larger, and words that occur more rarely (in the documents) are smaller. So you can pick out the interesting ideas, click on those words, and explore the documents/results that include them.

There are one or two free word-cloud generators out there, so I pointed one at this thread. Not sure how helpful it is, or whether it would handle threads with multiple pages (and no links to the individual messages, sorry!) Nor am I sure of the significance of the arrow - most word clouds are rather more cloud-shaped. But this is what I got:
Attachments
download.png