Uploading Images (with prosilver board style)

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
tROLL

Uploading Images (with prosilver board style)

Post by tROLL »

Not sure if this has been covered...but having read many topics with posts from 'invaluable posters' who have problems uploading images (or attachments as cyber nomenclature goes) I thought I'd try to elucidate as best I can.
After all depriving these wisdom bearers of submitting information is a loss to the CTC Community! :shock:

I cannot give much, if any :( , experienced information in regards to the real issue covered in this forum (BIKES/TRIKES/TANDEMS and all the rest), so I will try my best to help with something I know a little about.

Firstly, let me say, I've tried teaching my Mum to use her laptop. However, EVERY time something 'goes wrong' I am summoned.
Sometimes it just ain't gonna happen! :wink: Luckily my Dad steers well clear of the 'devilish machine' :lol:

Okay, so, let us begin.
There are two ways to upload/place an image in the post you are writing.
The first, if you have the image/picture/document on your computer. Second, if the image is one you have seen on another website.

To the first!
The image is saved somewhere on your computer, possibly in your documents, desktop or digital camera's upload folder.

Admin Edit, 17 August 2018: You shouldn't need to resize your images before uploading any more! Before uploading you must make sure the image is set at a moderate size (256k is the max. limit for this forum), this will ensure not only a fast upload (the process the computer goes through to initially send the info to the CTC 'home'), but also make it instantly appear on the slowest of internet connections.
To resize your image take a look at How to resize photos in Windows (does not apply to Windows 10)

So, now you have verified the image is at the permitted size you are ready to upload.

Whilst writing a post your display/window should look something like this:

Obviously without the red ellipse...
Obviously without the red ellipse...

Look at where the red ellipse is and you will see three tabs. First is the 'Options' tab which is selected per norma. Followed by 'Upload attachment' and then 'Poll creation'.
..Please note that the 'Poll Creation' tab will NOT appear if you are replying to a post, only by creating a new post can you begin a Poll..

Click on the 'Upload attachment'.
This should produce something like this:

Picture 3.png

Click on 'Browse' button.
A window will pop up and give you the possibility to browse through your files (yes, everything on your computer. So be careful what you choose! :wink: )
Once you have found the image you intend to share, click on the 'Open' button and your image's location will be placed in the text box ahead of 'Filename'. Next click on the 'Add the file' button.
When the Upload is complete (depending on the size of the image and the speed of your connection) this will appear:

Note that the 'Options' tab has been reselected automatically.<br />Also, a new section has been created: 'POSTED ATTACHMENTS'. This is where all your images will be listed.
Note that the 'Options' tab has been reselected automatically.
Also, a new section has been created: 'POSTED ATTACHMENTS'. This is where all your images will be listed.

You may now add a subtitle to the image (the box in front of 'File comment'). You may also 'Place inline' (put the image exactly where you want it to go in your post) or you can delete the image from your post with 'Delete file' button (this will only delete the Image from the post, not from your computer).

I normally select where I want it to be placed in my post.
Wherever the vertical flashing line is (normally in front of any letters you're writing) the image will appear in text format once you press 'Place inline'.

i.e. (attachment=0]Picture 5n.jpg[/attachment)

What I like to do next is to preview the post with its new image by simply clicking on the preview button:

Picture 5n.jpg

By doing so, your whole post will be shown above the part where you were/are writing. Scroll down and you can still amend or add any text or images as you wish.

Et Voila, just repeat the procedure to add...as many images as you wish...NOPE. The limit is FIVE :cry:

The second method will be up in a following post due to Uploading restrictions. Talk about Ironic!
Last edited by tROLL on 21 Apr 2010, 3:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Uploading Images Step by Step (or nearabouts)

Post by Mick F »

Very good, but not quite right.
It depends on what Forum preferences you have.
I use SubSilver2 and I don't have the screen you show with the red ring or an Options Tab.

I have this:
attachments.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
tROLL

Post by tROLL »

Now for the second method.
So you've been browsing around and have found some images you'd like to share with the community.
So you start by clicking either: 'New Topic' or 'Post Reply' giving you a page containing this:

Picture 7n.jpg

The important part here is the 'Tool Bar' which headers the text box (highlighted in red).
And more important is the button 'Img'. Clicking on this button will produce a rather insignificant text of the likes shown in the image below.

Picture 8.png

The trick here is, once you've clicked the 'Img' button and that strange looking text has appeared, you need to place some information in between the two [img]'s for this to become legible by the computer.

So what do you add?
You add the link! (no, nothing to with chains) The link is the address or location of the image you are referring to.
To obtain an images link/location you need to right click (third/fourth finger on the mouse) and select 'copy image location' from the menu that is displayed.

Picture 9n.jpg

Return to the page where you were writing and right click in between the two [Img]'s and select 'Paste'. To make it easier to right click in between the [Img]'s just add a couple of spaces in between them.

Picture 10.png
Picture 10.png (17.6 KiB) Viewed 117617 times

So.
1. Get to the image you wish to reproduce in your post.
2. Click on top of the image with the right mouse button.
3. Select something along the lines of 'Copy image location'.
4. Return to CTC page where you were writing your post.
5. Select the area in between the two [img]'s (MAKE SURE the flashing line is in between the (Img] right click [/img).
6. Right click the mouse again and select 'Paste image location' or maybe just 'Paste' (as in my case).
7. Click 'Preview' (in between 'Save' and 'Submit') and "Job's a Gud'un".

Please Note: The images shown above are taken on a Macintosh Operating System (Mac OS). Yours will look different if using Windows OS.
However, the procedure is the same the only thing that will differ is the options in the menu when right clicking over the image (and in between the [Img]'s.

Hope this is of some help.
All the Best
tROLL :mrgreen:
tROLL

Post by tROLL »

AHA! YES! There are variations... :oops:
I didn't even think about the different forum preferences. Sorry.

The procedure shown above is using a ProSilver message board style.

But I think the general procedure is more or less the same.

This Topic was and is intended to be updated/edited, so if there are errors or other changes to be made please let me know and I will edit.

Also feel free to add any information about different Board styles.
Thanks Mick F
Yorkshireman

Re: Uploading Images (with prosilver board style)

Post by Yorkshireman »

Photobucket is my friend :wink:
Five clicks on the l/h mouse button and I'm here v
:shock:
Colin N.
Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... but the wind is mostly in your face!
http://www.freewebs.com/yorkshireman1/
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

Colin - good photo.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Useful thread, nice screen shots. Better than my version. :D

Pedals off to find some screen capture software to download from the wibbly wobbly web.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
mw3230

Post by mw3230 »

Thanks Troll - explained in a clear and easy to follow style. I'll print your info and put it in a safe place, probably never to see it again!
Retired and loving it
Yorkshireman

Post by Yorkshireman »

patricktaylor wrote:Colin - good photo.

Colin N.
Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... but the wind is mostly in your face!
http://www.freewebs.com/yorkshireman1/
tROLL

Post by tROLL »

Aye, Gaz, Sorry! didn't even search for other posts. :oops: I wish I knew how to build a new search engine for this forum.
No disrespect intended to Gaz or site builders!

Thanks Mw3230

Nice shot Yorkshireman, keep em coming...however you manage.
Si

Post by Si »

tROLL wrote: I wish I knew how to build a new search engine for this forum.
No disrespect intended to ....site builders!

Ha ha, you should have seen it before! :D The search feature, and its inherent problems are out-the-box components. We know that it's not the greatest thing since sliced bread but looks like we are stuck with it for the time being. Just remember that if you try to search on a word that is less than four characters long you will be disappointed!
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

Si wrote:... The search feature ... We know that it's not the greatest thing since sliced bread but looks like we are stuck with it for the time being ...

Good search engines aren't easy to build. That's why Google employs hundreds of PHDs.

Kwackers on a different thread rightly suggests searching Google for (eg):
"Uploading Images (with prosilver board style)" site:forum.ctc.org.uk
gaz

Post by gaz »

tROLL wrote:Aye, Gaz, Sorry! didn't even search for other posts.:oops:

You've got nothing to be sorry about. I'm sure your thread will be a great help to lots of people and it'll be the one I link to from now on if I spot someone asking for help.

tROLL wrote:I wish I knew how to build a new search engine for this forum.

Si wrote:Ha ha, you should have seen it before! :D

I remember those dark times. (emoticon : shivers down spine : )
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
PH

Post by PH »

tROLL wrote:Now for the second method.
So you've been browsing around and have found some images you'd like to share with the community.
So you start by clicking either: 'New Topic' or 'Post Reply' giving you a page containing this:
tROLL :mrgreen:

If I've understood this right, you're suggesting displaying someone else's image in your post?
Sorry, but at best that's impolite and at worse costing them money. Linking an image in that way is using their bandwidth, something they'll either be paying for or will have an allowance of. You're also at their mercy, they change a the image at that address and the new, possibly inappropriate, image will appear in your post. IMO better to either;
Ask the source if that's OK
Copy the image onto your own webspace, or something free like photobucket (Though there may be copyright issues)
Add a link to the image rather than the image itself.

Sorry to be a killjoy, but I manage a couple of websites and paying for someone else's usage is more than annoying.
Si

Post by Si »

Yes, I have to agree with PH. This practice can be found on many forums and, to be honest, would be a nightmare to try to police, but that is not to say that it is right. Thus, if you don't have permission to embed an image in your post, then linking to the page rather than embedding the image, or at the very least adding a credit to the post would be the decent thing to do! I would not advise copying the image to your own space or uploading it to the forum so that you can publish it as, like PH, I'd be very concerned about CR issues.