Search facility glitch

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Marc

Search facility glitch

Postby Marc » 5 Jan 2007, 5:20pm

Thank you all for the re-desing

Time for constructive feedback?

I searched the forum, read the first returned item went to use back to access the second item and this is always the resulting screen

"Warning: Page has Expired The page you requested was created using information you submitted in a form. This page is no longer available. As a security precaution, Internet Explorer does not automatically resubmit your information for you.

To resubmit your information and view this Web page, click the Refresh button. "

Can you advise . . .

Marc

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 5 Jan 2007, 5:39pm

Simple Explanation:

The forum software we are using causes this effect when you use the Back button after viewing an item from the Search results list. It only affects some browsers, including Internet Explorer and Firefox. It should be fixable by modifying the forum software.

Technical Explanation:

This is a feature of Internet Explorer for POSTed form data.

The web specifications say that POSTs may (and usually do) modify page data. IE makes sure that you don't accidentally repeat the POST by displaying the warning message. Clicking Refresh would show the page, but this would repeat the search and is also annoying to have to do.

Firefox does a similar thing, whereas the Opera browser just takes you back to the previous page without contacting the server again.

I think we can fix this, but making the search form perform a GET rather than a POST.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 5 Jan 2007, 6:07pm

OK, I've made some quick modifications.

It's not pretty but it works reasonably well. You should be able to do a search, read an item, and then go back to the search without that annoying warning message now.

The one proviso is that you have to wait at least one second before returning to the search results page.

Please post a comment here if you still have problems.