Loggin in

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Mick F
Spambuster

Loggin in

Post by Mick F »

If I log in when first entering the Forum, then try to post a reply to a thread, I am asked to log in again.

Why?

Mick F. Cornwall
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Don't know, you shouldn't have to log in again. Unless you've been inactive for a bit: the login expires eventually.

What browser are you using?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm on Safari 1.0.3, using an Apple Mac iBook with OSX 10.2.8.

Gotta go out now, but I'll try again later and check again.

Mick F. Cornwall
Alan

Post by Alan »

I had problems registering, I filled in all my details and they were accecpted by the computer, I was then informed that I would be sent an email to activate my account. The email was not recieved and I tried a few more times with no success. In the end the only way I could register was to change my user name and use a different email address. Was it just a glitch in the system or have other people had difficulties too? The advice given in the FAQ's was to contact the Administrator, but I was unable to find a link to click on to contact the Administrator. It's good to be back, I didn't realise how much I would miss this message board. Thanks.
Yorkshireman

Post by Yorkshireman »

I seem to get that problem - just had it now in fact. Logged on, read this topic, tried to reply and had to log in again (I`m on ME and IE6) :oops:
Colin N.
Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... but the wind is mostly in your face!
http://www.freewebs.com/yorkshireman1/
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Alan wrote:I had problems registering, I filled in all my details and they were accecpted by the computer, I was then informed that I would be sent an email to activate my account. The email was not recieved and I tried a few more times with no success.

I've seen a few activation messages sent by the Forum bounce back for one reason or another. One was due to a mis-spelled domain in the e-mail address, the latest is a "user unknown" error. One user had 123-reg e-mail forwarding to his Hotmail account, and that was broken. Unfortunately there isn't much I can do with them, unless the spelling mistake is obvious.

I'll make sure there's a way to contact an Admin if things don't work.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

As for the login problems, I'm not sure. When you log in you get a cookie saved by your browser - no cookie no login. Unless something is deleting or supressing the cookie (firewall/proxy software?) your login should keep going.

The login session lasts for an hour after your last action. If you don't do anything for an hour the Forum logs you out.

I'll have a search on the phpBB support forums to see if other boards have seen this problem.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hello again,

Yes. Definately happens. Log in when you enter the site, try to reply to a thread, and are asked to log in again.

Mick F. Cornwall
julk

Post by julk »

Mick,

I just posted this reply without being asked to log in again.

Interestingly I am also using a mac, running 10.4.8 & OmniWeb.

Puzzling!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hmmm... can't reproduce the problem here, yet. Will do more research.

OK, loads of potentially useful questions for you:

Do you have to re-login for every post/reply in a session, or just the first?

Does this happen just for replies, or for any post?

Are there any other pages, such as your Profile, Private Messaging, where you have to log in again (e.g. perhaps when sending a private message)?

Searching on the phpBB forums seem to suggest that your problem in Safari might go away if you clear the cookies for the site.

Also from the phpBB forums: Are you running any google web accelerator or any other type of accelerator, or any type of special toolbar addons in your browser?

Do you use AOL?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

admin wrote:Do you use AOL?

I think I can answer that, you use Plusnet I think. The issue with AOL is that they often change the apparent IP address you're using (in fact a proxy server) while you're browsing. I don't think Plusnet would do that.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

julk wrote:Interestingly I am also using a mac, running 10.4.8 & OmniWeb.

Julk, can you try it using Safari?
julk

Post by julk »

Mick,
Its me again using Safari this time.
I logged on the message board then posted this reply without having to log on again...
I had safari security cookie preferences set at
'accept cookies only from sites you navigate to'
and show cookies displayed 6 ctc cookies with 3 just for the forum.

Can you see the cookies on your machine after you have logged in to the forum and then again when you try to reply?
julk

Post by julk »

Admin/Mick,

I just quit Safari without logging off the board.
On starting Safari again display cookies showed only 1 ctc forum cookie was left.
I accessed the forum again and it listed julk and admin as logged in active.
I didn't log in at that point.
On starting this reply I was asked to log in again...so I did.
Display cookies shows 5 ctc cookies 2 for the forum.
julk

Post by julk »

Admin,
From my testing I surmise that quitting your browser without logging off the forum leaves the forum displaying that you are still actively logged on.
I don't know how long this state persists on the forum.

My browsers when set to accept cookies work without requiring a subsequent login for posting replies after the first login and before quitting the browser.