Loggin in

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Fonant

Post by Fonant »

simonhill wrote:Maybe others are having same prob, but can't, or can't be bothered to, tell you. I assure you it is very frustrating and time wasting.

That is a possibility, but we do get rather a lot of posts and very few problem reports...

simonhill wrote:I have only recently started to get these probs.

Since when? There have been no changes to the forum software for a few months now, but the time you started having problems might be a useful clue.

Have you tried using the "Log me on automatically each visit" option? This makes the login work slightly differently, and might give me some clues as to what the problem is. Don't forget to use the Log out button though, if you do.
Anthony Cartmell (also known as "admin" when posting in a more official capacity on this Forum)
Kangaroo trike, Windcheetah recumbent, Batavus dutch bike, Dawes Galaxy Twin tandem, Pashley unicycle
http://www.fonant.com – Quality web sites.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Just tried the log on auto button - lets see.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Sorry, I got timed out yesterday – I only get an hour session at the library.

Before that I had logged on with the ‘Log me in automatically’ switched on. I was able to post OK and then return to make a new post, still logged on. I then typed my new message, but when I hit submit it failed with something like ‘invalid screen’ and returned to a blank message box. I was then unable to log out, it kept telling me it was invalid. It eventually got crashed as my time ran out.

I can’t remember when this first started happening – it may have always been like it ever since the new message board system was launched. I rarely post more than once so it wouldn’t have been a problem.

Logging onthis time I had to enter my details 4 or 5 times before it accepted it. Then I posted this, but it went straight back to the login screen (I have just written this bit therest is pasted). I have now logged in with the auto thing set so lets hope this takes.

Don’t worry about wasting any more time on this – it may be the library systems, but they are quite different with different functionality (one is Essex Libraries and the other is Southend Libraries) and it seems strange they both ‘fail’. Re asking the librarians, they have no technical knowledge and I know that there is only one guy who looks after all the Southend systems, so any chance of help there is limited. I have had problems with one other site that I have to log into (a financial one), but there are plenty of other ones that work fine.

The most annoying thing is writing the post only to find it disappearing into the ether when I hit submit. I will have to remember to copy before submitting (I wrote this in word and am pasting in).

Anyway, thanks again – I will try from some exotic internet cafes next time I am away on a trip and see if I works OK there.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

A final test with Auto turned on????
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

On my first submit, I get "Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form."
So I will submit again.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

On third submit it works and leaves me logged in.

So I will stick to the old adage, if at first you don't succeed, etc.

Maybe the auto login switch turns off some of the library gremlins, but not all!

Sorry to have bored the rest of you. Fonant, permission granted to delete all this.