Cannot return from a link

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
thirdcrank

Cannot return from a link

Post by thirdcrank »

If I go to a link from the forum, when I close that window to return to the forum, I always get an error to say that IE has experienced a problem and do I want to send a message to Microsoft to report it. IE then closes and I have to log back on.

(To casual bystanders: I am indifferent to the benefits of any other system.)
Graham

Re: Cannot return from a link

Post by Graham »

thirdcrank wrote:(To casual bystanders: I am indifferent to the benefits of any other system.)

Please respect T/Cs request on this.
Can anyone offer a diagnosis for this forum + MSIE problem ??
Sorry I cannot help myself T/C . . . I gave up using MS a couple of years ago ( and have forgotten much about it :D )
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

T/C I've also had this happen,sorry I can't help as I'm too thick in the 'pooter dept. Hope someone else can though.
David

Post by David »

Difficult to diagnose - I do recall serious problems with acrobat a while ago, have you got the latest acrobat and an up to date MSIE ?

You could always try downloading and installing mozilla. mozilla is to IE as campagnolo is to shimano.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I got another free download of acrobat quite recently, claiming to be the latest, without checking I have no idea of the version. I got the latest IE a couple of weeks ago.

There is a Mozilla shortcut on my desktop, unclicked. I could use another Shimano/Campag analogy: pick'n mix leads to confusion. I do not like computers that play up.

I do not think I am thick but I am acutely aware of my own limitations.
David

Post by David »

thirdcrank wrote:I do not think I am thick but I am acutely aware of my own limitations.

We'll reserve judgement on that for the time being :twisted:

Does it happen with every link or just with some. If you give me some sample links I can try them out from Mrs D's computer, however if it breaks HER computer you will have HER to deal with :-)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

David

I have not taken notes but I think it is happening every time. The last time I remember it happening for certain was in the thread by r2 about Critical Mass. There is a link posted I think by stof, going to a another thread about CM. I went to that, read it, closed that new window and got the message on the lines that it had experienced a problem and would I like to send a message to Mr Gates.
Fonant

Post by Fonant »

Does this still happen, since I removed the site stats feature that checked for Adobe Acrobat?

What version of IE are you using?

Can you tell me a sequence of clicks that always leads to IE crashing, or does it seem to be random?
Anthony Cartmell (also known as "admin" when posting in a more official capacity on this Forum)
Kangaroo trike, Windcheetah recumbent, Batavus dutch bike, Dawes Galaxy Twin tandem, Pashley unicycle
http://www.fonant.com – Quality web sites.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Just tried it, result exactly the same.

I used the same link as last time. On People and Rides there is a thread from r2 'Critical mass is it a good thing' (or similar.) There is a link from stof to an earlier posting - bottom of second page. Clicked on that and it came up normally. Clicked on the little red box with a cross to exit and got a warning that IE had encountered a problem, sorry for the inconvenience but it was going to close. Would I like to send a fault report. IE then disappears and my own (google) homepage is there, reduced in size.

I regret all I know about my version of IE is that it came as an offered download/upgrade in the last few weeks. If you tell me where it will tell me the version I will be happy to look.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

version is 7.0.5730.11

(Found it all on my own.)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I read the link to the CTC press announcement about the Telford case and got back to the forum without trouble, twice.
Fonant

Post by Fonant »

I can't see anything different about the Critical Mass ride post that might give IE a problem.

In my IE7 (version 7.0.5730.11 too) I can click on that link, which opens a new tab, and then close the new tab without problem... I've also tested it with the default settings, which opens the new page in a new Window, and that behaved itself too.

I can only suggest that you send a report about the crash to Microsoft, as IE suggests, and see if this crash has been seen by them before.
Anthony Cartmell (also known as "admin" when posting in a more official capacity on this Forum)
Kangaroo trike, Windcheetah recumbent, Batavus dutch bike, Dawes Galaxy Twin tandem, Pashley unicycle
http://www.fonant.com – Quality web sites.
David

Post by David »

Eyup TC,

I can't duplicate it either, however one question to ask is how much RAM has your PC got ? I was out installing a PC for my Aunt the other day and her browser would not work with BT's yahoo mail because it had insufficient memory (256MB was not enough).

If you are short of memory, you could see problems. My Wife's PC has 512MB RAM.

As the example link you gave was literally just a simple link that opens another page on the forum, it has to be something iffy with your computer.

I'd recommend going out for a ride on your bike to alleviate your stress :-)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

David

Thanks - whatever it is it won't be shortage of RAM. I have had this computer just a year* and I made sure it had enough trimmings for my younger son to do all the wild things like video editing that enthusiasts tend to do. This forum represents the biggest deman I make on it myself, which I do not think is huge. I have sent a billet doux to Billy Gates as recommended by Fonant and hope that as the warning says IE has encountered a problem, that is where it lies.

A huge improvement on an Amstrad 8256. :wink:
David

Post by David »

I suspect the reply you get from the big enchilada will be along the lines of "You need vista". Just listen to BBC R4 - they're doing all the marketing.