Adding an Approval flag or recommendation count

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
CREPELLO

Adding an Approval flag or recommendation count

Postby CREPELLO » 26 Oct 2010, 9:03pm

When next upgrading the forum, could you please look for software that allows people to simply 'click' their aproval for someone else's posting. Although it may be a quick way of folks expressing themselves in preference to making their own full posting, I'm sure it would be interesting to see how general forum users like (or not) comments left by posters. It's used on lots of other sites (at least, blogging sites) and it does seem to be a way of registering your approval of a posting, without the need to spell it out, which can be time consuming, if you're doing this regularly.

Does anyone else think this could would be a good idea (or not)?

ferrit worrier

Re: Dear Mod's....

Postby ferrit worrier » 26 Oct 2010, 9:29pm

Good idea :D put me down for a vote "for"
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.

brother nathaneil

Postby brother nathaneil » 26 Oct 2010, 11:29pm

If I could've simply clicked my aproval... I would've :wink:
I think it's a good idea
Success is a journey, not a destination. The doing is often more important than the outcome ~ Arthur Ashe

http://www.5blokes-end2end.weebly.com

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 26 Oct 2010, 11:46pm

How about a thumbs up or thumbs down?

I would like to >dislike< lots of stuff on Facebook, but they only let you >like< things. :twisted:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 27 Oct 2010, 6:47am

I don't like the idea. I like to have a chat and discuss. Not give just to give a "tick".
Mick F. Cornwall

Graham

Re: Adding an Approval flag or recommendation count

Postby Graham » 27 Oct 2010, 8:05am

There is a "recommend it" button on the (non-cycling) forum that I most. "Must-be-read" posts can be seen on the "Best of boards" list showing a descending list of the most recommended posts.

This is extremely useful for focusing of the best/most-interesting posts and also for drawing one a little further than ones most used boards.

I'll have a look at the Modification packets for this.
Whether we do it or not is another matter because it takes Anthony's time and we cannot get any information about the supposed fate of this forum . . .. it will continue, but we don't know who will run it.

Another month goes by . . . . where is the new website ctc.org.uk . . which was supposed to delivered in March 2010 !!
Are these so-called suppliers competent ??
Who is paying for the delayed development ??
When will this website be delivered ? . . . . 9 months late ? . . a year late ?? . . ... more ? .. will it ever appear ??

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 27 Oct 2010, 8:45am

The answer is probably something to do with faith, hope and charity.

Graham

Postby Graham » 27 Oct 2010, 3:28pm

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 28 Oct 2010, 3:09pm

[quote="Graham"]phpbb mod called "Kharma MOD"

Nothing in there to say what happens to housemates who discuss nominations. :wink:

If changes were being considered - and I can fully understand why they aren't - I'd value something enabling an individual member to mark individual threads to stop them appearing on their own lists. I'm not talking about censorship, just the ability to consider a post and then to be able to put it permanently aside from my own lists. It's easy to say ignore it, but so many thread titles are cryptic that I often quickly forget that I've read a thread and found nothing to interest me personally.
====================================================================
PS perhaps we could use yet another new section of the forum for providing fodder for research projects. :idea:

patricktaylor

Postby patricktaylor » 28 Oct 2010, 10:42pm

It's a bad idea. All contributions are equal, even if they're not. Web forums are conversation (by finger) and the appropriate response is more conversation, not a score. If it happens I'll leave. Somewhere in this, there's more than one connection to the ancient Romans.

hubgearfreak

Postby hubgearfreak » 28 Oct 2010, 11:54pm

patrick and mick have summed up my view.
which leaves me agreeing with mick, yet again :oops: :wink:

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 29 Oct 2010, 7:29am

hubgearfreak wrote: ..... which leaves me agreeing with mick, yet again :oops: :wink:

Oh dear oh dear oh dear.
What will happen next? You may get a derailleur! :D
Mick F. Cornwall

CREPELLO

Postby CREPELLO » 29 Oct 2010, 10:27pm

Why the strong feelings against the idea? Folks will still talk. It's not a proper substitute for expressing yourself. Those with the opinions will always have their say. I think it may just add another dimension to debate. It's akin to others here apllausing....or not. Sometimes I just want to say 'I agree with that' or 'I like that'. I suppose I can say that, although it seems clunky.

So what about a little thumbs up smilie then? Afterall, some folks don't always have time to debate at length.

patricktaylor

Postby patricktaylor » 29 Oct 2010, 10:41pm

Chatting in the pub (or anywhere else) are you continually looking at thumbs and waiting for rounds of applause? I imagine not. When saying something seems clunky it's time to pack in. Sorry Jerry. I know you're looking for improvements but thumbs down on this one. The powers that be will do what they like and so will I!
Last edited by patricktaylor on 29 Oct 2010, 10:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 29 Oct 2010, 10:45pm

CREPELLO wrote:... It's akin to others here apllausing....or not. ....

Fair enough, but it's only a short step to people with something valid but unpopular feeling they should curb their tongue. In this context I think some of the negative views were based on the karma thing linked by Graham, which is not much different to telephone voting on reality TV.