PM's for newbies...

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
lolagi

Re: PM's for newbies...

Post by lolagi »

frstep wrote:Excellent - hoping that I'll be able to use PMs too as just joined so as to be able to respond to an for sale item!

Same here. :) Hoping that this post will get me 'authorised' or 'approved'.

Cheers,
lolagi
questioner9

Post by questioner9 »

I was also wondering this, about PM-ing to sales listings.
owenep

Post by owenep »

Awesome, I had the same question! Thanks
belette

Post by belette »

also waiting for this as joined for a classified item! 8)
HenryD

Post by HenryD »

I'd love to be able to post some more, and be able to PM :)
dickieb_ol

Post by dickieb_ol »

Well I hate "me to" posts as a rule, but this seems like a good place to post to enable PM so I can reply to a classified!

Cheers, Rich
peterbee

Post by peterbee »

Hello. I have participated in a forum discussion before - so not sure if I have to get a further approval before I am able to PM someone? If so, could you please approve this?

Also: is "bump" an acronym for something?
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

peterbee wrote:Also: is "bump" an acronym for something?

Nope. It is a common internet practice when somebody wishes to bring their subject back to everyone's attention. Say you are selling an item. If no-one posts replies it quickly gets knocked down the For Sale page until it ends up on the second or third page where fewer people are likely to see it. By posting a reply to his own topic the poster bumps it back up to the top of the first page where it may be seen by people who didn't see it the first time. It also lets people know that the item is still available. Some posters will add new information to the listing (for example a lower price), but if the poster has nothing new to add it is accepted practice just to use the word 'bump'.

It is also used elsewhere when a poster wishes to remind forum users about something eg. where the poster's question hasn't been answered. Very frequent repeated bumping is frowned upon as it becomes a nuisance for other forum users.
Witchfinder

Post by Witchfinder »

Another dummy post so I can have PMs enabled.
Little miss mac

Post by Little miss mac »

timjefferson wrote:Hi, sorry to have to ask this way....
Please can you enable PMs for me? (I'm a newbie). Have posted interested on a bike for sale (posts not yet approved) and I cant PM the seller as also not approved yet.

Many thanks!

Hello mods
Exactly what he said above.
Thank you! :D
Username

Post by Username »

Mick F wrote:Some of "us" are on this forum three or four times a day, so if your first post comes up when you need "approving", you'll be done straight away. Maybe I approve two a day. Sometimes more, and sometimes the person is still lurking and posting when I approve them. However, it can take a day or so depending on if I'm on or one of the others ............ or nobody's on.

There are many folk who come on trying to get round all this. People who have a "spam intention". They get short shrift I can assure you! :D

How can you get round something thats set in stone? The first post needs approval, there no getting round that. Are you saying people are trying to glitch or hack the forum?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mick F wrote:Some of "us" are on this forum three or four times a day, so if your first post comes up when you need "approving", you'll be done straight away. Maybe I approve two a day. Sometimes more, and sometimes the person is still lurking and posting when I approve them. However, it can take a day or so depending on if I'm on or one of the others ............ or nobody's on.

There are many folk who come on trying to get round all this. People who have a "spam intention". They get short shrift I can assure you! :D

How do you identify people with a spam intention?
Answer by pm if you like :wink:
Diolch yn fawr
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Username wrote:How can you get round something thats set in stone? The first post needs approval, there no getting round that. Are you saying people are trying to glitch or hack the forum?
Some prospective spammers come on with an innocuous post or a comment on a thread. It would get approved because it was fine. Once on, they are free to advertise their wares in the knowledge that they're up and running.

That's how they do it, but usually we can smell a rat and they are kept an eye on. Any transgressions, and they're off.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Plus One for vigilance, not sure if I can remember reading anything that got through
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Plus One for vigilance, not sure if I can remember reading anything that got through
We try.
It is a constant regular constant issue I can assure you.

Some folk just try and they get short shrift. Some try and are more determined but they eventually get sorted. The system is to just Un-Approve their post and send an email to them that their post has been unapproved. If they take any notice of this, I ain't got a clue but I don't give a toss.

First posts need approval.
If prospective spammers get though, we (as a happy set of friendly people) will notice, and the notification system (as a happy set of friendly people) will alert us ........ some of us are ever alert .............. some more than others ............. but it depends how much beer one or two of us have drunk. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall