Potential new Forum software

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling

What would you prefer for the Forum in future?

Keep everything as it is now.
68%
Re-build the Forum to look and feel more like other CTC sites.
11%
I don't really know, it depends...
21%

Total votes: 38

Si

Re: Potential new Forum software

Post by Si »

We also have to remember that currently we can choose from a number of 'board styles' - would we still be able to do this if the look and feel were set to match the main site (and if we did it would it mean that the l'n'f no longer matched the main site - or would there be a choice of different 'standard' main site l'n'fs)?
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

A few for-instances:

(1) Should the forums be styled to match the look and feel of the new CTC website or should users be able to choose their own look for the forums, as now?

(2) Should users be able to respond to a particular comment so that comments are 'nested' immediately below the one responded to (messy in my view) - or should comments be kept in strict sequential order with the 'quote' facility? (I don't know if phpBB can do nesting but Drupal can)

(3) Should features of the new CTC website appear at the side of the forums (boxes in a sidebar) or should everything be plain and simple - self-contained?

(4) Should latest forum topics, latest comments, etc, appear in a box at the side of the new website?

Regardless of the software used, it seems to hinge on whether the forums are editorially integrated with the website or whether they stay at arm's length. With one, you'd naturally expect more integration and a more corporate 'look'. With the other, it may as well stay as it is.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Just over a year on since the OP.

How's the discussion going?
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Currently there's no immediate plan to replace the phpBB forum. There are some apparent benefits of moving the Forum to be part of the main CTC website, but there is a great deal of work involved to do so, especially if the move is not to prove unpopular.

There is a plan to perhaps merge the user accounts with the CTC main site, but it's a big job and there are lots of other things on the CTC website wish-list.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Stick with phpbb it's an excellent forum system.

It's perfectly possible to integrate login systems.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I know from experience that it takes a lot of work to get drupal to behave anything like as well as phpbb and it is very easy to screw it up and kill or at least maim a community. Stick with phpbb and prefer upgrading and maybe changing the default theme to look like the main site if wanted.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Trail Beater

Post by Trail Beater »

The forum is now Mobile friendly.
Excellent,and I like the new layout