smilies and quotes

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
joegallus

smilies and quotes

Post by joegallus »

Sorry to be a numpty about this. I have searched this section but could not find the answers to my question. Can any kind soul please let me know how to quote from another person’s post. All I can manage is cut and paste. I often see (highlighted in a tan colour) posts where someone has lifted a section of another post to help focus their reply. I tried clicking the ‘quote’ button but that just seems to cut and paste.
On a related point - when I choose a smiley and drag it into a post -all that happens is an http address appears. I know I must be being a bit dim on this – please point me in the right direction.
Thanks

posting.php?mode=post&f=14# (that is a smile - see what I mean!)
Si

Re: smilies and quotes

Post by Si »

To quote the whole thing use the 'Quote' button on their post rather than the 'post reply' button.

To quote only part of it, do as above and edit the text that is quoted, making sure that you don't remove the quote tags at the start and end.

OR

Hit the 'post reply' button, position your cursor in the reply panel, you to their post, highlight the bit you want and press 'quote'. the highlighted bit should then appear in your reply.
Si

Post by Si »

joegallus wrote:when I choose a smiley and drag it into a post -all that happens is an http address appears. I know I must be being a bit dim on this

Don't drag it - just put your cursor where you want it to appear then click (edit - that should be 'click', not 'clip' - long day) on the smiley that you want. you will then see the word that represents that smiley appear there.
joegallus

Post by joegallus »

Si wrote:To quote the whole thing use the 'Quote' button on their post rather than the 'post reply' button.

To quote only part of it, do as above and edit the text that is quoted, making sure that you don't remove the quote tags at the start and end.

:D
joe
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

[Resurrected old thread. :D
There has been a flurry of posts recently which have been difficult to read and make sense of due to the lack of using quotes.
It’s easy to do guys and all simply explained earlier in this thread.
Si wrote: 8 Jul 2012, 9:53am To quote the whole thing use the 'Quote' button on their post rather than the 'post reply' button.

Si wrote: 8 Jul 2012, 9:53am OR

Hit the 'post reply' button, position your cursor in the reply panel, you to their post, highlight the bit you want and press 'quote'. the highlighted bit should then appear in your reply.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The current version makes editing quotes to strip out all the unnecessary re-quoting difficult.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

thirdcrank wrote: 4 Jul 2021, 2:06pm The current version makes editing quotes to strip out all the unnecessary re-quoting difficult.
I have wondered if there has been a change. I haven’t noticed anything different but then I always use method 2 posted by Si
Edit to add , No I don’t :oops: I used method 1 for this post.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Just to be clear, I've generally pressed the quote button then edited out all the intervening twaddle leaving only the post I'm referring to. It just saves layer on layer of stuff that needs no repeating. Now, if there are several layers of quotes, each poster has a separate link and I've given up on the editing. The negative is that posters who have subscribed to notification of being quoted won't get it. Some time ago, meic suggested if posters aren't named when they are quoted it's less confrontational which is my excuse.

I don't see any advantage in vast areas of nested quotes.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

What I've always done, and still do now ......... is copy and paste.
Copy the username and copy what you want to quote of their's, and then paste it onto your post with a [/quote] at the end of it.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

You can do it in italics.
thirdcrank wrote: 4 Jul 2021, 6:09pm ....................... posters who have subscribed to notification of being quoted won't get it. Some time ago, meic suggested if posters aren't named
You can even to it in bold.
thirdcrank wrote: 4 Jul 2021, 6:09pm ....................... posters who have subscribed to notification of being quoted won't get it. Some time ago, meic suggested if posters aren't named
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sorry TC, I was just using your post as an example.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm not sure what point you are making but if I add emphasis I always make it clear eg by adding (my emphasis.)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote: 4 Jul 2021, 6:09pm Just to be clear, I've generally pressed the quote button then edited out all the intervening twaddle leaving only the post I'm referring to.
Referring to just this.

Also, that you can highlight and modify too.
Mick F. Cornwall