Accessing forum from mobile phone...

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Tigger

Accessing forum from mobile phone...

Post by Tigger »

... I could do it on my old Android mobile phone but on my new phone, away from home (ie on 3G) I can't access the forum either via Tapatalk or Internet Explorer. Tapatalk says there's a problem and to contact the forum administrator. IE - which goes to orangeworld (or somesuch) after rejecting forum.ctc.org.uk - says there might be some naughty adult content which I mustn't see :shock:

My new phone is an Android HTC One V and I'm with the Phone Coop who use Orange as the 3G provider. (I was with Orange/ EE before.) Sorry, dunno which version of Android yet.

I can't find any relevant security settings, and can't seem to add approved sites so please can anyone help me find the setting(s) which allow me to view what I want?! Cheers m'dears!
Redvee

Re: Accessing forum from mobile phone...

Post by Redvee »

I use Google Chrome on my One V with no issues. I have the forum bookmarked on my desktop and can access various Google bookmarks on my handset via my Google account.
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

Thanks Redvee, I could try Chrome - I use it on my pc. But I feel it doesn't explain why Tapatalk wont work - unless it is using IE security settings?
gaz

Post by gaz »

Tigger wrote: - says there might be some naughty adult content which I mustn't see :shock:

Link to content that you must not see :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
sjs

Post by sjs »

I had a T-Mobile 3G dongle at one time (=Orange, I think), which was very picky in its default settings as to which sites it allowed. It was fixable, I think via ringing some sort of call centre.
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

Thanks sjs, I'll probably give my provider a call on Tuesday.

Errrmm, thanks Gaz :lol:
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

Just in case anyone is interested, or has the same problem... ie cannot access the forum via 3G whereas WiFi is fine, using hovercraft full of eels. (preferred option) or browser.

I contacted my mobile provider - The Phone Coop - a week ago and the issue still isn't resolved. They haven't washed their hands of me (yet) but they are scratching their heads as they haven't met this before. Admittedly they are a teeny weeny company compared to the likes of Orange.

So far we've tried;
  • new SIM in old phone - no go
  • replacement new SIM in new phone - no go
  • signing up to another forum ( :shock: I only belong to this forum!) - failed with BikeRadar because they don't support Tapatalk :roll: But worked with CycleChat
  • Chrome - no go
I did find the browser > Settings > Advanced > Website Settings by the way, but there doesn't appear to be an 'Add' option. Eh?

I'd really like this resolved because I like to catch up with the forum when I'm at work, especially on nights*

Cheers

Tigger

* before anyone gets on their soapbox... I can do what I want when I don't have a customer to see to. Well, within reason :wink:

Edited to change IE to just 'browser'
Last edited by Tigger on 11 Apr 2013, 11:58am, edited 1 time in total.
Tigger

Re: Accessing forum from mobile phone... PROBLEM SOLVED :)

Post by Tigger »

OK, I guess this should have been checked sooner but one of the Access Point Names (APN) settings was wrong. An error on the Phone Coop website, I might add :lol:

So problem solved :D :D :D But strange that it should work for other sites/ fora and not the CTC one :?:

Thumbs up for their IT sticking with it until we found the cause.
rjb

Post by rjb »

I am not as tech savy as you lot but have a related issue. I sometimes access the forum on my ipod touch using wifi and the safari browser that comes with it. I keep getting an annoying message about tap-a-talk then asking me to purchase it? This comes up every time i change a page - it is very annoying - anyone know how to get rid of it. :?
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
ballibeg

Post by ballibeg »

rjb wrote:I am not as tech savy as you lot but have a related issue. I sometimes access the forum on my ipod touch using wifi and the safari browser that comes with it. I keep getting an annoying message about tap-a-talk then asking me to purchase it? This comes up every time i change a page - it is very annoying - anyone know how to get rid of it. :?

Some have had success clicking 'ok' which takes you to the app store. You don't need to buy it just follow link once.

Hope works for you.

Dave
rjb

Post by rjb »

ballibeg wrote:
rjb wrote:I am not as tech savy as you lot but have a related issue. I sometimes access the forum on my ipod touch using wifi and the safari browser that comes with it. I keep getting an annoying message about tap-a-talk then asking me to purchase it? This comes up every time i change a page - it is very annoying - anyone know how to get rid of it. :?

Some have had success clicking 'ok' which takes you to the app store. You don't need to buy it just follow link once.

Hope works for you.

Dave

Thanks for that Dave,
Followed the link then selected the cancel button. Finally got rid of that annoying pop up :D
Why do they make life so complicated?
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
[XAP]Bob

Re: Accessing forum from mobile phone... PROBLEM SOLVED :)

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Tigger wrote:OK, I guess this should have been checked sooner but one of the Access Point Names (APN) settings was wrong. An error on the Phone Coop website, I might add :lol:

So problem solved :D :D :D But strange that it should work for other sites/ fora and not the CTC one :?:

Thumbs up for their IT sticking with it until we found the cause.

Hmm - I had to get orange to disable "safeguard" or whatever they call their censorship to allow me to browse here...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.