"Accident waiting to happen" threads

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
thirdcrank

"Accident waiting to happen" threads

Post by thirdcrank »

Having spent most of my working life enforcing the law - and related activities - I'm not particularly impressed by people who break it, but I feel there's a limit to the value of threads which don't really take things much further forward, eg "tonight I saw xxx number of cyclists without lights ... " and all the rest of it.

Without wishing to stop people posting what they like, and without wishing to cause any more work for the forum admin, is there any possibility of another sub-forum, along the lines of that for helmets, where this type of thing can be chewed over by those who seem to enjoy it?
Ray

Re: "Accident waiting to happen" threads

Post by Ray »

+1
It's tricky enough out there. I don't need anyone to keep reminding me, thanks!
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

+2
horizon

Post by horizon »

thirdcrank: I too was somewhat non-plussed by how to reply to the latest of these threads in question. In the end I ignored it and left it to others to spell it out. People have to get it off their chests and maybe this forum is as good a place as any to have their views questioned. After all, they are validly held views even if they are tiring to those who see things from a different, and I would happily concur, more perceptive perspective.

PS If you think it's bad on here, just imagine what it's like on parliamentary committees:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... ee-cycling
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Some folk just like to have their own views validated by their peers. Helps them sleep at night knowing they're part of a like minded group.

On another (off) topic:
This is a nice little corner of the forum, didn't realise it was where 'the lads' hung out to chew over the fat and comment on the other threads... :wink:
(If it were Facebook, we'd mark this bit 'secret' and have membership by invitation only - keep the riff raff out. Although that would probably include me! :lol: )
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

kwackers wrote:Some folk just like to have their own views validated by their peers. Helps them sleep at night knowing they're part of a like minded group.

Yes, safe in the knowledge a million lemmings can't be wrong :roll:
Graham

Post by Graham »

How about Title "Endless loops and other Rants" ??

. . . as a sub-forum of On the Road . . . . .

Mind you, there will be some clear cases : some very marginal cases : some that start out well and degenerate : others that wander in and out of category as the topic progresses.

On second thoughts - please no !! . . . . .more rules : more work !
Ray

Post by Ray »

Graham wrote:How about Title "Endless loops and other Rants" ??

"Room 101"? :twisted:
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Ray wrote:"Room 101"? :twisted:

That would be where people go to understand they are wrong and come out re-educated. But how about The Colosseum as the most appropriate place for gladatorial contests and public spectacles?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

TonyR wrote: ......... how about The Colosseum as the most appropriate place for gladatorial contests and public spectacles?
Love it!
:lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Mick F wrote:
TonyR wrote: ......... how about The Colosseum as the most appropriate place for gladatorial contests and public spectacles?
Love it!
:lol:

Back in 'Another Place' where I used to be a member, it was suggested by several, that I and my 'stalker' be lodged together in some sort of 'arena', no-one else permitted, so that we could have it out in one-to-one fisticuffs.

I can't help but think of Captain Kirk and Zorn....but which one would I have been (vote)?

It never actually came to that. I flounced out not long after.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).