Once a forum member, always a forum member?

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Once a forum member, always a forum member?

Postby Mick F » 12 Jan 2014, 12:31pm

Mrs Mick F's gran in Southport had a phone number similar to the Water Board. She delighted in telling everyone that she got wrong numbers for the Water Board and reveled in the situation. No doubt people phoning Gran got the Water Board sometimes! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall

gaz

Postby gaz » 12 Jan 2014, 1:24pm

Mick F wrote:
gaz wrote: ............... Or we could just leave matters as they are :| .
The thing is, we wouldn't be having this conversation if the figures weren't publicised.

Perhaps we would, the question posed is about deletion of profiles. I believe our longest serving Nil-poster joined on 6 January 2007 and last logged on 21 Jan 2010. I am querying the default position that he (or she) remains a forum member indefinitely. That particular member also illustrates why any system of auto-deletion should be based around log-on date rather than post count.

The number of members is currently displayed. Either that is the default position for the software and it was not on the list of things to be changed, or it was the default position for the software and it was on the list of things to be kept, or the default postion for the software is "off" and it was on the list of things to be turned "on". I have no idea which.

If the post counts of all members were not visible then I would never have been able to estimate the percentage who have never posted. However if the number of members wasn't at the bottom of the page they could still be counted up from the member list.

MIck F wrote:Does it matter that the membership figure is a specific number?
Who cares?

If it is going to be important to anyone I would assume that it is CTC National Office.

The specific number might be unimportant, I would expect trends in forum membership to be of greater significance; is membership up or down on last year, activity as a proportion of membership up or down, etc. Of course greater significance than entirely unimportant might only reach the heights of mostly unimportant.

However the current system of "once a member, always a member" does not allow for that sort of analysis; hence it would seem that indeed nobody cares.

Mick F wrote:Maybe if data can be displayed, there is a wish to display it ............ but it isn't necessary really.

Which is how I feel about the details of "members" who are not logging on; we are displaying the data ..... but it isn't necessary really.

Mick F wrote:I cannot say for definite, but there will be very few ex-spammers on the membership list. Most of the dormant members will have joined to buy or sell something on the For Sale sections.

Whilst I also cannot be certain I would be inclined to agree. I would be 100% certain that the situation is largely historic, entirely unintended and inconsequential from a spam viewpoint.

thirdcrank wrote:If that bit is a problem, then perhaps it needs a single-issue spambuster to deal with it. A long-serving forum member with the time and dedication to delete these latent spammers. After an initial clearout, it shouldn't be a big deal in the longer term.

The admin, moderation and spambusting teams on these boards do a fantastic job.
There'll be tarmac over, the white cliffs of Dover ...

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 12 Jan 2014, 4:24pm

gaz wrote: ... The admin, moderation and spambusting teams on these boards do a fantastic job.

That's right and with regard to spam, that's why I was able to say that for the ordinary membership, it's not a problem. That's not to say that further duties should be added to their job descriptions and it's why I hinted that somebody with a particular interest in dormant members with dodgy www's might be sworn in as a deputy to clean up that bit of the town. Always assuming it needs cleaning up.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 13 Jan 2014, 2:07pm

"Once a forum member, always a forum member?" - yes, unless the member in question decides to delete their account. We don't delete people's accounts unless they request it.

We're running as close to a standard phpBB3 installation as possible, as the funding to administer and host this forum is very limited. As such we display the number of user accounts, and we don't delete old apparently-unused accounts.

You don't need to post messages to make use of an account: logging in allows you to see new posts since you last visited, for example.

There's no problem space-wise with keeping user registrations for many years. Almost all the database size is down to the actual messages, not the user details, and the biggest space hog on the server are the images that people have uploaded.

There is also no problem with apparently-unused accounts slowing the system down. The database and server are quite capable of handling the Forum even if the number of users were to be multiplied by hundreds.

The number of forum members is pretty meaningless: almost anyone can sign up if they want to, for very little effort and at zero cost. People sign up for a wide variety of reasons. Some perhaps join to post once in the "For Sale" board, where the posts are auto-deleted. They would then appear to be a "pointless" Forum member when in fact they had made useful use of it. Others join up to spend many hours a week "chatting" with their fellow enthusiasts.

David K

Postby David K » 2 Jul 2015, 1:18pm

Hi, how do you delete your account or update your user name?

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 2 Jul 2015, 1:20pm

David K wrote:Hi, how do you delete your account or update your user name?

You need to contact Graham or admin. You can pm them, or send an email to mbadmin@ctc.org.uk
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom