Number of views

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
jamesgilbert

Number of views

Postby jamesgilbert » 16 Jan 2014, 11:50am

Just out of curiosity, is the counter that records the number of times a thread has been viewed working correctly?

The numbers seem very high - for example, a thread in the Touring & Expedition forum posted on Monday 6th January has had 12 replies and over 22 000 views!

A similar forum that I use, with a similar number of registered members, has much lower numbers. For a thread posted 10 days ago with a dozen replies, there are generally around 300/500 views.

I imagine there are lots of different ways of measuring thread views that explain this.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Number of views

Postby admin » 17 Jan 2014, 3:24pm

I suspect that some of those views will have been search engine robots from Google, Bing, Yahoo! and the like reading the posts. Some will also have been servers that regularly scan the forums looking at thousands of pages per day, although I do try to block those when I see them.

Because there's no reliable way to separate "views" by machines and those by humans, I'd take the numbers with a pinch of salt. I don't think the phpBB3 code even tries to ignore search engine robots when counting views.