because there is a women's cycling interest forum....

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Bicycler
Posts: 3400
Joined: 4 Dec 2013, 3:33pm

Re: Fear of roads

Postby Bicycler » 20 May 2014, 4:22pm

Si wrote:Well our advertising was to a much larger audience and to an audience that was virtually half and half, as I've already pointed out: vast majority of respondents (high 90%s?) female. Which backs up pjclinch's view via a much wider, more balanced sample.

Si, you moderators have my sympathy on this one.

As this discussion has now been separated from the OP, I could suggest that the much higher number of women coming forward could be indicative of a reluctance amongst men to admit their fear. I think we could genuinely say that there is less of a social stigma surrounding women being afraid of something than men.

User avatar
monxton
Posts: 92
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 12:42pm

Re: Fear of roads

Postby monxton » 20 May 2014, 10:33pm

Bicycler wrote:Si, you moderators have my sympathy on this one.


This discussion is certainly quite distressing, even though I have (happily) missed some posts which have been deleted. I'm sure it is creating a lot of unnecessary work for the mods. Far from being a relaxed safe place for women to post, this must be the most contentious area of the forums at present, which could be described as ironic.

I think it's time to consider, if you haven't already, that there is deliberate trolling going on. If a woman knows that posting in the women's area is going to result in an angry post about why she shouldn't be allowed to post in the women's area, that's a pretty good way of putting her off if you are trying to engineer the failure of the women's area. So mods, thanks for your work and please continue to move such posts and give the women's area a chance. Would it be possible to rename this particular topic, because "Split from 'Fear of Roads'" doesn't give you a clue that this is the topic where the argument about the existence of this area does take place. Then those who are here to talk about women's cycling issues can just ignore this topic and be happy. Unlike the mods. :(

Bicycler
Posts: 3400
Joined: 4 Dec 2013, 3:33pm

Re: Split from 'Fear of roads'

Postby Bicycler » 21 May 2014, 12:30am

I agree. All such posts debating the section's existence should be added to a single thread (this one renamed?) and future commentators posting elsewhere asked to contain discussion within the existing thread. I wouldn't go as far as to agree that it was trolling but bringing the discussion into every new thread posted is definitely not on.

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 16683
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Fear of roads

Postby mjr » 21 May 2014, 8:03am

monxton wrote:I think it's time to consider, if you haven't already, that there is deliberate trolling going on.

You mean like posting accusing others of deliberate trolling? :roll:

I think we've seen from discussions about so-called "positive discrimination" in other places that there's a wide range of sincerely held views about whether it's counterproductive. What evidence is there of trolling?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

User avatar
monxton
Posts: 92
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 12:42pm

Re: because there is a womens' cycling interest subforum....

Postby monxton » 21 May 2014, 9:34am

The issue that I and Bicycler, above, are describing is that most new topics in this section have been used to re-open the debate about the existence of the section. I do not "accuse" any person of anything, I said that I had considered that trolling was a possibility, and if you are unhappy with that word I will readily exchange it for "flaming" which may be more technically correct because it is a specific rather than a general destructive behaviour.

With apologies for repeating what I said three posts above, if women are fearful of posting, then the behaviour in this section is surely off-putting, and could lead to the demise of the section. If those with thousands of posts won't recognise that others may see this as a form of bullying, then I think that reinforces the (unfortunate) need for moderation. My wish is to highlight the effect of the behaviour, not its motivation.

Thanks, mods, for changing the topic title.

eileithyia
Posts: 8129
Joined: 31 Jan 2007, 6:46pm
Location: Horwich Which is Lancs :-)

Re: because there is a womens' cycling interest subforum....

Postby eileithyia » 21 May 2014, 9:45am

Thank You, also to the Mods and the Gents who support this segment of the forum and see the positives within it, as a Moderator on the Women's section on Timetrialling forum, I was well aware that there was a competition going among some of the gents to be the first to be banned from the section...... the section settled down and it not over used, admittedly, but we discuss the women's results, up coming events and specific competitions regularly at this time of year.

I have asked several times, can we now stop this sort of discussion regarding the 'need' of this section, as I have said it has already proved the need of its existence and has already pulled in 2 lurkers to post....

I think it is now time to stop all these controversial posts, as everyone has put their point of view and there is clearly no middle ground nor will there be.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

Psamathe
Posts: 12189
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: because there is a womens' cycling interest subforum....

Postby Psamathe » 21 May 2014, 10:05am

I think a lot of the problems here are driven because some expressing disagreement with the section (using moderate calm non-aggressive language) have received all sorts of accusations directed at them. A classic example:
nirakaro wrote:So you do come across as having some 'quite nasty character attributes'.
(noting that my main disagreements with the section are based on equality; that it would be far better to address the stated reasons for the section in an inclusive manner rather than exclusive).

So appart from the direct insults, we are now having words like "trolling", "flaming" and "bullying" introduced.

Ian

User avatar
horizon
Posts: 10415
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Cornwall

Re: Split from 'Fear of roads'

Postby horizon » 21 May 2014, 10:22am

Psamathe wrote:
I feel your response somewhat aggressive (and totally OTT). I feel describing my opinions as "ranting" a bit insulting. My opinions stem from a desire for equality (which means ...).

Ian


Ian : if it helps at all I would like to say that I fully respect your feelings on this matter and I too feel that you may have been a bit hard done by. But I disagree with your views. But that's normal on a forum. I'm hoping that you won't feel so hard done by though that you no longer feel it worth contributing - I've read lots of your (well reasoned) posts with enjoyment and interest.

But for now, I'm going to give my backing solidly and 100% to the women's section. I feel that we are just about to witness an avalanche of views, feelings, queries and ideas that emanate soley from a woman's perspective. The whole of cycling is riddled with outmoded prejudices and conventions: it may well be women who make the strongest challenge to them. And while there is even a single statistic (and there are plenty - just take the lorry deaths in London as a starter) that shows that women have a different experience of cycling from men, then there is a need IMV for a separate section.

We will all, us men included, benefit in the long run from such a section.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher

User avatar
Graham
Moderator
Posts: 6489
Joined: 14 Dec 2006, 8:48pm

Re: because there is a womens' cycling interest subforum....

Postby Graham » 21 May 2014, 2:53pm

Let's just see how this section goes for a few months and hold back on the incessant navel-gazing.

Time to move on, eh ??

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 16683
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: because there is a womens' cycling interest subforum....

Postby mjr » 22 May 2014, 12:36am

It's not time to move on until the men's interests board is created. Why won't you do this simple act of equality?

(Personally, I'd prefer neither existed but the current lopsided situation is worse.)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

User avatar
Vantage
Posts: 2815
Joined: 24 Jan 2012, 1:44pm
Location: somewhere in Bolton
Contact:

Re: because there is a womens' cycling interest subforum....

Postby Vantage » 22 May 2014, 1:25am

I've seen women's sections on numerous cycling forums ever since I bought my first computer (in the PC sense) and joined the tinterweb sometime in the late 90's.
Never in all that time have I seen the stupid, pointless child-like "she has an icecream and so I must have one too" bickering that's going on here. It's frankly ridiculous.
So the CTC have finally joined the 21st century and introduced a women's section on its forum, big deal. That I know of, nobody's world has spontainiously imploded in a raging ball if fire. Deal with it and move on for crying out loud.
Bill


“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.

Edwards
Posts: 5981
Joined: 16 Mar 2007, 10:09pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: because there is a womens' cycling interest subforum....

Postby Edwards » 22 May 2014, 4:30am

mjr wrote:It's not time to move on until the men's interests board is created.



Vantage wrote:Never in all that time have I seen the stupid, pointless child-like "she has an icecream and so I must have one too" bickering that's going on here. It's frankly ridiculous.


I love this and for me describes the situation as now really well.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar

User avatar
horizon
Posts: 10415
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Cornwall

Re: because there is a womens' cycling interest subforum....

Postby horizon » 22 May 2014, 9:39am

mjr wrote:Why won't you do this simple act of equality?



Because it isn't simple and it isn't a matter of just straightforward equality. I would give it a chance and then review it.

BTW mjr, I hope the moderators and other forum members will not rise to your bait in the wrong way. I find your terrier like grip on this topic highly amusing: I know you don't want to let it go and that you are serious about it. I would be very happy for this thread to run a bit longer as long as it doesn't become acrimonious.

I have two daughters both of whom are heavily involved in cycling: for their sakes alone I want to see this new section succeed. I know for certain that they have issues that I do not face and only the women's section will address properly.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 18738
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: because there is a womens' cycling interest subforum....

Postby Vorpal » 22 May 2014, 11:56am

mjr wrote:It's not time to move on until the men's interests board is created. Why won't you do this simple act of equality?

Actually, I think that this is a fair question. And I don't know how the other moderators feel, but I can tell you how I feel about it.

I have mixed feelings. mostly because of the issues of equality that you and others have raised.

However, if we want to fix the problems that women (and other gender/sex-based minorities) face just because they are minorities, doing something that is a traditionally masculine activity; if we want to create a more egalitarian society, we must
-create space to safely discuss those issues
-help people think in terms of those issues

Then, and only then, can we offer any advice about overcoming them. In my opinion, it is no different than organisations which seek to encourage and support women to enter science and engineering fields. Or to encourage and support men to enter nursing.

Men may face some issues in cycling that are uniquely male, but few face overt discrimination or other issues that are solely due to being a member of a minority sex or gender. Our LGBT members face many of the same issues, and perhaps it should be a 'women and minorities interests' subforum, or 'women and LGBT subforum. The one time in the past that an LGBT board was discussed it was an even more heated and controversial subject. I'd like to think that we are ready to openly discuss such issues, and that this subforum can be a sign that we are.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

geocycle
Posts: 1845
Joined: 11 Jan 2007, 9:46am

Re: because there is a womens' cycling interest subforum....

Postby geocycle » 22 May 2014, 12:41pm

The problem seems to me to be that a few participants in this thread are starting from a different place to the majority of posters. Their position (eg on having a M forum to counter a W forum) would be logical if we already had equal participation between M and W in cycling and/or this forum. It is clear we don't. Therefore, just as in many walks of life it is important to put measures in place to address barriers and raise awareness. Personally, I always view new posts so I don't look where they are posted, but if a W forum helps encourage more W then great. It may work despite threads like this which can only discourage. Please can those insistent on stirring up issues give the new forum a chance and be sensitive to different view points.