password recovery impossibilities

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
NigelCliffe

password recovery impossibilities

Postby NigelCliffe » 13 Jun 2014, 10:29pm

I tried to register on the forum. The register tool said "your email address is already in use", which is quite possibly true, possibly I registered here years ago.

So, I tried to retrieve my old password. The tool said "your user name and email don't match" so wouldn't send a password reset.

I wandered round the forum for ages looking for a "contact the admins" option, none found unless a member.

So, the process is broken, its impossible to register the email address and impossible to reset the account !

Only solution, register with a different email address; I'm fortunate to have quite a few, so can do this. But its not totally satisfactory.

- Nigel

Mick F
Spambuster

Re: password recovery impossibilities

Postby Mick F » 14 Jun 2014, 6:25am

Hi Nigel

You raise a very good point, and something that I've never noticed before.

You cannot contact the "Team" until you've registered. You cannot retrieve your username and password until you contact the Team.

Sounds daft to me.

The Mods and Admin read this part of the forum, so they will get back to you on this problem.
Mick F. Cornwall

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 14 Jun 2014, 6:41am

If I've understood this correctly, you have forgotten your exact username as previously registered. Unless your username is totally different from what you think it is/was, you should be able to find it yourself on the list of members. Admittedly, that could be difficult if you have totally forgotten it. Otherwise, if you posted before, dig out an old post using the word search.

BTW, how did you manage to start this thread without being registered and knowing your details? :?

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 14 Jun 2014, 7:12am

He re-registered as a new person.

If you are not logged in, you cannot view the member list.

Catch 22.
Mick F. Cornwall

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 14 Jun 2014, 8:40am

There area several places on this board where it says that users having difficulty can email mbadmin@ctc.org.uk.

I'm afraid that it isn't obvious. It should probably be on one of the information pages, but a search for 'contact admin' will find it, and it's on several threads on this board.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=54371&p=453833
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

NigelCliffe

Postby NigelCliffe » 14 Jun 2014, 11:05am

Thanks for the replies.
The search option is far from satisfactory, even knowing the appropriate search term ("contact admin") only yields a useful result halfway down the second page. And that assumes you chose the "correct" search term; if one searches for "admin email" that didn't work until this thread was created.

Perhaps someone from the admin side can have a think about making some sort of email or contact form available, and clearly linked where a non-member might find it. By all means include anti-spammer obstacles (such as the shuffling "where can you cycle" boxes used for registration), but don't leave it as a lottery on the choice of search terms.

I'm not sure that searching the member list helps either, even once one is registered as a member with a different email address. I know the email address, I've no idea of the member name I might have chosen in the past (assuming I had one...), nor would I necessarily recognise it. The information given on member names doesn't include the email address (the one thing I do know!)...

- Nigel

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 14 Jun 2014, 11:37am

I wonder how often this has arisen as a problem. :?: If somebody forgets their password, they can normally apply for another. If they also forget their username, the simplest way seems to be to start again; to use a word from the realm of reg plates, a forgotten username can hardly have been "cherished."

Since the forum is run pretty much on a voluntary basis, this hardly seems to me to be a priority.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 14 Jun 2014, 11:53am

All it would need is an email link "Contact Forum Staff" at the top of the (non-logged-in) page.
Mick F. Cornwall

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 14 Jun 2014, 12:07pm

I regret posting on this thread. If somebody has forgotten both their username and their password, what do they want to email admin about?

(I presume that if somebody forgets their password, then the "forgotten Password" email triggers an automatic or semi-automatic response.)

I'm trying to avoid saying anything which my be interpreted as being personal, but if somebody has successfully re-registered in these circumstances, why do they need to reinstate the earlier account?

But as I said, I regret posting on the thread. :(

====================================================================================================
PS It has occurred to me that IIRC, a dormant account is suspended after a certain period. When I took a rest from the forum of several months I had to apply for my account to be re-activated. Hardly a big deal, I just sent an email to the admin address and promptly received a "welcome back" message from Graham. I've just had a quick look and I can't see anything which explains this in detail (although it is touched on in the software FAQ's.) From my reading of the OP, this hasn't been the problem here.

TonyR

Postby TonyR » 14 Jun 2014, 12:48pm

Most places have forgotten user name and forgotten password provisions sending the user name for the former and a reset link for the latter to the registered email address. That would be the simplest way out of the OP's predicament.

gaz

Postby gaz » 14 Jun 2014, 2:01pm

Mick F wrote:All it would need is an email link "Contact Forum Staff" at the top of the (non-logged-in) page.

I'd recommend adding it to the contacts on the registration Ts&Cs page (you can't access the page with that link while you are logged in).

BTW there is a logical way to get to the contact details for admin without being a registered user, it's just far from obvious.

The "About theses boards" section contains numerous threads by admin including one entitled "Registration e-mail failures". The web icon under admin's avatar (in all of his posts) takes you to his website and contact details.
There'll be tarmac over, the white cliffs of Dover ...

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 14 Jun 2014, 7:50pm

TonyR wrote:Most places have forgotten user name and forgotten password provisions sending the user name for the former and a reset link for the latter to the registered email address. That would be the simplest way out of the OP's predicament.

We have a 'forgotten password' link on the log-in page. But the user has to remember his/her user name correctly in order to make that work.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

TonyR

Postby TonyR » 14 Jun 2014, 10:19pm

Vorpal wrote:
TonyR wrote:Most places have forgotten user name and forgotten password provisions sending the user name for the former and a reset link for the latter to the registered email address. That would be the simplest way out of the OP's predicament.

We have a 'forgotten password' link on the log-in page. But the user has to remember his/her user name correctly in order to make that work.

So why not have a "forgotten user name" link as well. Its quite a common feature. Email the user name to the registered email address and then the user can use that to reset the password.