Remove the Games Bucket from Std search

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
700c

Remove the Games Bucket from Std search

Post by 700c »

For removing those awful "3 word" threads from the main forum. Awesome, big thumbs up. THANK YOU.

Could you now remove that forum from the search facility (I know I could go into the advanced_search to remove it, but should be a simple change to make it automatically not get searched). Thank You
Last edited by Graham on 15 Feb 2015, 7:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Thanks for the Thanks. Request is for Anthony to consider.
661-Pete

Re: Thank You to the Admin / Mods

Post by 661-Pete »

....and now that your dearest wish has been granted (and maybe Admin will be able to figure out how to tackle your further request) ... why not come along to the 'bucket' and join in the fun!? The only rules are, only 3 words at a time, no consecutive posts by the same person, and keep it clean. Well, reasonably... :roll:

Go on! Everyone's welcome!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Vorpal

Re: Remove the Games Bucket from Std search

Post by Vorpal »

700c wrote:For removing those awful "3 word" threads from the main forum. Awesome, big thumbs up. THANK YOU.

Could you now remove that forum from the search facility (I know I could go into the advanced_search to remove it, but should be a simple change to make it automatically not get searched). Thank You

I don't think it's a simple change. And the more customisation we do, the harder it is to make upgrades to the next version phpbb. But maybe admin knows how to do it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

With Advanced search, it's possible to highlight which sections you want to search, but with my limited IT skills, it's only possible to highlight one block. (When I try to highlight a second block, the first highlight disappears.) At present the "Too good to lose" sections are below the games section. If that could be dropped to the bottom of the list, it would then be easy to do an advanced search on everything else. (And if anybody wanted to do an advanced search on the games threads, they could search just them.)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

thirdcrank wrote:With Advanced search, it's possible to highlight which sections you want to search, but with my limited IT skills, it's only possible to highlight one block. (When I try to highlight a second block, the first highlight disappears.)

Hold down the ⌘ modifier whilst clicking and it will select multiple entries from the list.

Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Psamathe wrote: ... Hold down the ⌘ modifier whilst clicking and it will select multiple entries from the list. ...

My profound thanks are only qualified by my not knowing what the ⌘ modifier is :oops: and having no obvious ⌘ button to hold down.

I've been prompted by this to experiment and the Ctrl key seems to have the desired effect. :D
Penfolds11

Post by Penfolds11 »

thirdcrank wrote:
Psamathe wrote: ... Hold down the ⌘ modifier whilst clicking and it will select multiple entries from the list. ...

My profound thanks are only qualified by my not knowing what the ⌘ modifier is :oops: and having no obvious ⌘ button to hold down.

Yep, you'd need a Mac for that! :wink:
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Penfolds11 wrote:Yep, you'd need a Mac for that!

I have a Gabardine one and am still non the wiser as I can not find that button. Is it fitted to all types of raincoat? :lol: :?
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Penfolds11

Post by Penfolds11 »

Edwards wrote:I have a Gabardine one and am still non the wiser as I can not find that button. Is it fitted to all types of raincoat? :lol: :?

Are you sure that's a Mac? With no buttons it sounds like a duffle coat - windproof but not waterproof! :lol:
700c

Post by 700c »

661-Pete wrote:....and now that your dearest wish has been granted (and maybe Admin will be able to figure out how to tackle your further request) ... why not come along to the 'bucket' and join in the fun!? The only rules are, only 3 words at a time, no consecutive posts by the same person, and keep it clean. Well, reasonably... :roll:

Go on! Everyone's welcome!

Today I've got a day of watching paint dry ;)
But thanks for the invite.
Graham

Post by Graham »

The "Too Good to Lose" section is just a load of pointers back to the original topics in their "normal" sections.

Thus there is no need to explicitly include them in any search.

Has anyone experimented with searching in Too Good to Lose ?? Does it behave as expected ?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Graham wrote:The "Too Good to Lose" section is just a load of pointers back to the original topics in their "normal" sections.

Thus there is no need to explicitly include them in any search.

Has anyone experimented with searching in Too Good to Lose ?? Does it behave as expected ?

I've never had any search results from Too Good to Lose. I assumed it was because they are just 'shadows' rather than the actual topics.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

700c wrote:Today I've got a day of watching paint dry ;)
But thanks for the invite.

As you wish. Your activity is now in the Story..... :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
700c

Post by 700c »

Last edited by Graham on Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Thanks for the Thanks. Request is for Anthony to consider

Graham, I've no clue who Anthony is, do I need to make a request direct to him ?

Thanks.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Anthony being Anthony Cartmell a.k.a. Fonant . . .. the all-knowing , all-seeing, power behind the CTC Forum.

i.e. he runs the technical side.

I'll PM him, but I'm pretty sure that he will not want to modify the basic software to eliminate The Bucket from searches.

It is pretty easy for the user to do it.

Advanced Search :

"Search in forums" . . . Select Cycling

"Search Subforums" . . . ClickYes

. .. and that will pretty much isolate the sensible ( technical ) stuff. Easy enough to add the other forum SECTIONS if necessary.