invalid session messages

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
andy_scot_uk

invalid session messages

Post by andy_scot_uk »

I keep getting invalid session messages where I try to login and it thinks I am logged in but after writing a post I get an "invalid session" message at the top of the szcreen. Rebooting, deleting all private data including cookies does not seem to work.

Any ideas? mI'm in a number of forums but its only this one that has a problem.
Fonant

Post by Fonant »

Can you tell me what browser, operating system, etc. you're using? Are you using any "internet security" type software?
Anthony Cartmell (also known as "admin" when posting in a more official capacity on this Forum)
Kangaroo trike, Windcheetah recumbent, Batavus dutch bike, Dawes Galaxy Twin tandem, Pashley unicycle
http://www.fonant.com – Quality web sites.
Fonant

Post by Fonant »

Are you an AOL user?

For security reasons, phpBB checks that the cookie is coming from the same, or similar, IP address compared to when it was created. For most people this works fine and helps to prevent other people logging in with your ID. However in some circumstances you will appear to visit the website from a wide range of IP addresses, the most common culprit being AOL, which uses a very large number of IP addresses, which change constantly.

Do you know if the other forums which work OK are running phpBB? They may be running different forum software, which might not do this additional security checking?
Anthony Cartmell (also known as "admin" when posting in a more official capacity on this Forum)
Kangaroo trike, Windcheetah recumbent, Batavus dutch bike, Dawes Galaxy Twin tandem, Pashley unicycle
andy_scot_uk

Post by andy_scot_uk »

Thanks for taking the time to reply - I ma a Virginmedia user and not AOL. I use football sites mainly -

www.hibs.net , www.jamboskickback.co.uk and others to do with support and discussions with hobbies. The fact that I never have any problems with them made me think it was something to do with the CTC site. My security software (Norton) is switched off just now.

Reason I registered this as an issue was that if others had the same one then it was maybe a setting on the web site. As with many of these things its difficult to know exactly what's going wrong.

I found this long explanation on the internet http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=69493
and I am suspecting the Google web accelerator I use may be to blame. I think it uses a proxy site which may cause the IP issues you mention. I have switched it off too and we will see what happens.

( As I went to submit this I got an invalid session! After I switched off the Google accelerator. I've switched it back on and if you are reading this then that would appear to be the culprit)
andy_scot_uk

Post by andy_scot_uk »

turned off google accelerator for this site so we will see how it goes.

Thanks for your help
Peter Rowell

Re: invalid session messages

Post by Peter Rowell »

andy_scot_uk wrote:I keep getting invalid session messages where I try to login and it thinks I am logged in but after writing a post I get an "invalid session" message at the top of the szcreen. Rebooting, deleting all private data including cookies does not seem to work.

Any ideas? mI'm in a number of forums but its only this one that has a problem.

I don't think this is to do with this site only, I have this problem on several sites. When I get the Invalid session window up I just press enter but hold down the key for a second, it usually works OK then. I use Ubuntu Linux OS which seems to be too fast for the 3Com Office Connect Router even though it's running at 2.3 Mbps (the network connection runs at 100Mbps).
Leader - Tuesday Senior Cyclists' Group, Cambridge Cyclists' Touring Club
Organiser - Mid Anglia Computer Users.
andy_scot_uk

Post by andy_scot_uk »

sorry - I should have posted a reply to say everything is now fine and I had no more problems after switching off Google accelerator for the CTC forum site.

Cheers

Andy
Fonant

Re: invalid session messages

Post by Fonant »

Peter Rowell wrote:I don't think this is to do with this site only, I have this problem on several sites. When I get the Invalid session window up I just press enter but hold down the key for a second, it usually works OK then. I use Ubuntu Linux OS which seems to be too fast for the 3Com Office Connect Router even though it's running at 2.3 Mbps (the network connection runs at 100Mbps).

I can't see how your browser can be "too fast" for a router, as the network protocols make sure all conversations proceed reliably (and handle transmission errors).

The invalid session message is because your IP address is changing while you are browsing the site. This is either because your ISP uses several different proxy servers at the same time (like AOL) or because you have some other proxy system (like Google Accelerator) that also uses multiple servers.

I don't know what ISP you use Peter, but you might find that switching off any proxy server server settings in your browser might fix the problem. If you're using AOL you'd be better off switching to any other ISP ;)