** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
RickH

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by RickH »

reohn2 wrote:
pwa wrote:And is your answer to that trying to attract 750,000 more people from overseas?

I'm merely quoting figures currently available,,but if employers countrywide need 3/4 of a million workers and we have full employment it indicates we need people from somewhere.
What do you suggest?

I expect there is a reasonably constant amount of churn - many of last months' vacancies won't be the same as the month before's. Similarly, many of last month's unemployed won't be the same as the month before's either as they fill the vacancies current at the time.

The important figures, which I don't know, is the proportion of both that are longer term.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pwa wrote:The more I think about it the less useful I find the term Right Wing. Would someone who believes in curbing rampant capitalism and favours renationalising the railways, but also hates his Asian neighbours, be left wing or right wing?

Not long ago you were accusing other EU nations of being far more Right Wing than the UK. You found the term useful enough then.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

RickH wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
pwa wrote:And is your answer to that trying to attract 750,000 more people from overseas?

I'm merely quoting figures currently available,,but if employers countrywide need 3/4 of a million workers and we have full employment it indicates we need people from somewhere.
What do you suggest?

I expect there is a reasonably constant amount of churn - many of last months' vacancies won't be the same as the month before's. Similarly, many of last month's unemployed won't be the same as the month before's either as they fill the vacancies current at the time.

The important figures, which I don't know, is the proportion of both that are longer term.

The point I'm trying to make is that the UK needs workers,yes there'll be a turnover of different skills and people available with those skills but there'll also be a core a skillset needed for work here.
Whichever,there appears to be more work than people available currently living in the UK.
That could be due to immigrants leaving because they don't feel welcome anymore or deciding not to come to work here because of brexit I don't know,but I do know a lot of immigrants are planning to leave and indeed are leaving if the latest figures are anything to go off.
Brexit is already having a negative effect it seems in that respect and we havent left yet :shock:
There are already companies seeking to move to EU countries if they haven't already,as they feel there's better trading links within the EU,again not a healthy outlook for the UK.
It all one heckova mess IMHO
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

reohn2 wrote:

What do you suggest?

To be honest, I don't know. Some of the answer may lie in the fact that a lot of people already employed are underemployed, doing fewer hours than they would like. A lot of vacancies exist because the jobs are five or six hours a week, not real jobs by mt reckoning. Maybe the folk delivering for Deliveroo can get more worthwhile jobs and the people they deliver pizzas to can get off their backsides and get their own. Other jobs can be done smarter, using fewer people. Mechanisation will continue to reduce the demand for labour. And some people advertising poorly paid jobs may have to up the pay to get the staff. (Some of that reply was less than serious)
Bowedw

Post by Bowedw »

If the EU is so wonderful why cannot it provide employment for all member states to retain their own people. I find it really sad that young people, who should be enjoying their lives with their family and friends, are forced to go it alone, to another country and do mainly menial work for basic pay, in many instances, their so called employers are providing basic accommodation, at goodness knows what rents. They most often cannot speak the language and appear lonely.
Is there something in the British genes that makes some people feel superior lording it over the less fortunate, while accusing the majority of being racist.
If your food and services become more expensive in order to provide for honest living standards for British as well as EU workers then get over it, pay up.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Bowedw wrote:If the EU is so wonderful why cannot it provide employment for all member states to retain their own people.

If the UK is so wonderful why cannot it provide employment for all member regions...? Why do we have a "North-South Divide"? :?
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

RickH wrote: Why do we have a "North-South Divide"?

Because those in the north are do-ers, those in the south procrastinators. All the economic decision making is done in the south. :wink:
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

reohn2 wrote:

The definition of full employment is not that there are no unemployed people. There are always people between jobs, who are entering the job market, or are returning to work from a long period of absence. This is called frictional unemployment. Dependent upon the economist and the situation 'full employment' usually means between 2.5 and 6% of the workforce actually are unemployed.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Ben@Forest wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

The definition of full employment is not that there are no unemployed people. There are always people between jobs, who are entering the job market, or are returning to work from a long period of absence. This is called frictional unemployment. Dependent upon the economist and the situation 'full employment' usually means between 2.5 and 6% of the workforce actually are unemployed.

I'm aware that there'll always be some unemployed.
According to the official stats there are under a million unemployed,and there are 3/4 of a million job vacancies.
Those are the official stats.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

RickH wrote:
Bowedw wrote:If the EU is so wonderful why cannot it provide employment for all member states to retain their own people.

If the UK is so wonderful why cannot it provide employment for all member regions...?

The answer is that neither are 'so wonderful'. But the EU's faults are blamed on the EU, while the individual state's problems are blamed... ...on the EU.

Why do we have a "North-South Divide"? :?

It doesn't matter. Up north you are poor but 'appy. Down here we are rich but miserable. It all evens itself out.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

pete75 wrote:The whole Green thing is political. He says/she says doesn't come into it. If he is forced out it will seriously destabilise the May's pathetic government and may lead to it's fall.

We are about to see if your prediction was accurate.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42434802

David Davies the Brexit secretary was reported to have said he would resign if this happened so let's see if he does.
pwa

Post by pwa »

thirdcrank wrote:
pete75 wrote:The whole Green thing is political. He says/she says doesn't come into it. If he is forced out it will seriously destabilise the May's pathetic government and may lead to it's fall.

David Davies the Brexit secretary was reported to have said he would resign if this happened so let's see if he does.

Interesting. Can't see why David Davies would want to resign over that though.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pwa wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:

Interesting. Can't see why David Davies would want to resign over that though.

I thought it was maybe an "excuse" 'cos he now realises what a disaster Brexit will be and he can't admit he was wrong but a departure for what others would consider "supporting a friend and colleague" would be a good way to retain his credibility and to extricate himself from an impending disaster.

But then when it comes to actually going the taste of power can be a strong influence ...

But that's all nothing more than personal opinion (i.e. not repeating anything from others so no facts to quote, no links to provide).

Ian
pete75

Post by pete75 »

thirdcrank wrote:

Well it has certainly destabilised it - even the staunch Tory supporting Daily Mail says " a major blow to Theresa May's government."
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

pete75 wrote:a major blow to Theresa May's government."

Government?
I'm sure that would be against the trade descriptions act.