Do you intend to come and look at the Bayeux tapestry?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Do you intend to come and look at the Bayeux tapestry?

yes
19%
no
68%
maybe
14%

Total votes: 37

661-Pete

Re: Do you intend to come and look at the Bayeux tapestry?

Post by 661-Pete »

Too good an opportunity to miss!
The year is 1066. King Harold and his army are camped outside Hastings on the eve of the great battle, and he goes to inspect his troops. The first man he comes to, is a mighty warrior wielding a massive two-handed battle-axe. “My good man,” says Harold, “can you demonstrate your skill with that axe?” “I shall try my best, Sire” says the axeman: he gives the axe a mighty heave and flings it at a great oak tree fifty feet away: the axe buries itself in the trunk and cleaves the mighty oak tree straight down the middle.

King Harold turns to his general and says “Place that man on our right side tomorrow: we need a warrior as good as that to defend our right flank.”

Next Harold comes to a tall spearman, wielding a ten-foot spear. “Can you show us what you can do with that spear?” “Certainly, my Liege,” replies the spearman: he hurls his spear with deadly accuracy towards the same oak tree; it splits the handle of the axe clean in half and embeds itself in the tree, cleaving the oak even further down the trunk.

“Excellent!” says Harold. “General, put that man on our left side tomorrow to defend us against attack from that quarter”.

The next man in line is a bowman. He is a short, weedy, squint-eyed individual bearing a poorly-cut longbow, badly strung, and with arrows in his quiver mostly bent and several with missing flights.

“All right, my man. Show us your skill with the bow.” The archer puts an arrow to the bow, aims at the oak tree, but misses it by about twenty feet.

“General,” says Harold, “Put that man at the rear of the army tomorrow, where he can’t cause any trouble. He’s as likely as not to take someone’s eye out with that thing...”

IGMC.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Well I heard the tapestry was in storage and a replica was the one on display from a news report about it, R4 IIRC. So of course it could be fake news.

It does seem that climate controlled, low light means original. Or it is just a really old replica. I reckon the news was wrong personally, but in my defence I tend to think I can trust BBC news. When will I learn?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

ah didnt know they had replicas all over the place. probably wont bother then. Maybe I ill be able to get from Lidls soon? or poundlander
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I have already seen it, in Bayeux c1972

What could the UK lend to France in return?

We could send them the equally splendid "Last Invasion" tapestry completed by the good ladies of Fishguard and surrounding areas.
It's well worth a look at if you're ever in Pembrokeshire and it's free to view.

However, perhaps the French wouldn't appreciate a reminder of yet another defeat.

fausto.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Tangled Metal wrote:... of course it could be fake news. ...

Historians are agreed that it is a heavily embroidered account of events :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Well, it certainly contains a few inaccuracies. Donning my astronomer's hat for a moment, it's clear that Halley's Comet as depicted in the tapestry:
doesn't look much like Halley's Comet as observed on its last visit to the inner Solar System:

So: which is right?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I think it's simply that the tapestry creator below has used finer yarn, shirley?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:I think it's simply that the tapestry creator below has used finer yarn, shirley?

And on more modern machinery,non of that old tredle operated Singer rubbish for the modern tapisterist :? :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

661-Pete wrote:Too good an opportunity to miss!

Indeed! :D :D
Keep 'em coming.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I know I'm being a bit of a philistine and have to try and appreciate how old it is, but like the Sutton Hoo treasures, bits of ancient pottery and prehistoric post holes, I'm afraid my attention span runs to about 30 seconds. :? :oops:

Give me a working steam train anyday......
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

iandriver wrote:I know I'm being a bit of a philistine and have to try and appreciate how old it is, but like the Sutton Hoo treasures, bits of ancient pottery and prehistoric post holes, I'm afraid my attention span runs to about 30 seconds. :? :oops:

Give me a working steam train anyday......

I'm good with dinosaur fossils (for hours and hours and hours) but arty things (incl. tapestries, Sutton'y stuff, etc.) and my attention span is also somewhat "limited".

Ian
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Oh I'd love to see the Sutton hoo treasures first hand IMHO one of the greatest treasures of antiquity from the photographs I've seen.

Tapestry? Meh! Women's stuff like old dresses you see in some museums.

Steam trains? Well I can't spend too long with them. Bore me quickly. I mean it's a kettle on wheels to put out simply. However any steam engine with a job to do like industrial engines. Remember being fascinated by little models of real industrial steam engines. Those spinning balls and belts turning machinery. Very interesting even in a small scale model. Even agriculture steam tractors interest me. I'd love to see one working as a stream plough one day. I like steam train rides but it's the views only not the machine. It could as easily be a diesel or electric train for me.

Whatever happens I don't think £45 million to see it in the UK is a good deal. Although I know that's money to stop those Johnny foreigners from Africa getting over the channel which makes it a bargain! :wink:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I agree ,well it seems it will cost us £44m - a bit too much for some rags?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mercalia wrote:I agree ,well it seems it will cost us £44m - a bit too much for some rags?

And did St Theresa fall for it hook-line-and-sinker? We pay £many millions, help them with some very expensive military helicopters and we get .. loan of a tapestry.

Actually I think the UK is too self centred, thinks of only itself and I've been on some "good stuff tonight" (so I might post something totally contrary tomorrow!). So whilst all these staunch nationalists might be ready to cry how "it's a bad deal", maybe it's part of being in the international community and some things making headlines might seem "bad for self interest", other gains elsewhere are ignored by the sensationalist press.

I'll maybe make more sense tomorrow. Hint to other forum members: don't post when you've "had good evening".

Ian
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Psamathe wrote:
mercalia wrote:I agree ,well it seems it will cost us £44m - a bit too much for some rags?

And did St Theresa fall for it hook-line-and-sinker? We pay £many millions, help them with some very expensive military helicopters and we get .. loan of a tapestry.

Actually I think the UK is too self centred, thinks of only itself and I've been on some "good stuff tonight" (so I might post something totally contrary tomorrow!). So whilst all these staunch nationalists might be ready to cry how "it's a bad deal", maybe it's part of being in the international community and some things making headlines might seem "bad for self interest", other gains elsewhere are ignored by the sensationalist press.

I'll maybe make more sense tomorrow. Hint to other forum members: don't post when you've "had good evening".

Ian

i get the impression thats how many members here post :wink: