** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I though monoculture was a disaster, nutrients are depleted, soil is washed away
When growing food rotation is (was?) essential
Is tree farming ('factory farming'?) different? Are a lot if chemical inputs used?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vorpal wrote:It provides habitat for small creatures, as well. :D

Hej Vorpal can you change the title of this thread, can you take care of anyone who tries to talk about b****t? :wink:
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

PDQ Mobile wrote:That is my layman's view.

The layman is the modern expert!
Although tbh I obviously know less than you about forestry which makes my opinion more valider and I blame immigrant trees for everything. Sure our trees are lazier and take forever to grow but they're being priced out by foreign trees sneaking into the country sometimes disguised as garden furniture or clothes pegs and that's just not fair and it's not right.

And don't forget the nasty diseases some of those foreigners have, Dutch Elm Disease, Portuguese Pine Pox and who can forget the great plague brought on by Belgium Birch Blight? Puts huge drains on the resources of the FHS system.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Vorpal wrote:It provides habitat for small creatures, as well. :D

Very true actually but usually that means rabbit - which are a pest- so its another reason why distributing the brash mats across the site is favourable.

Though often regarded as a 'good thing' in Sunday supplement articles habitat piles or brash piles are literally an artificial construct. This leads to creating artificially high levels of a population which then crashes as the habitat pile degrades and if there isn't a constant supply of new habitat piles made. Another more prosiac reason is that in urban areas if you make a habitat pile local kids will set fire to it.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

kwackers wrote:And don't forget the nasty diseases some of those foreigners have, Dutch Elm Disease, Portuguese Pine Pox and who can forget the great plague brought on by Belgium Birch Blight? Puts huge drains on the resources of the FHS system.

My Russian neighbour told me that the Russians call Russian Vine 'American Vine'. Bad things are always foreign.

After Brexit, at least we'll still have our English Tea (grown on the lower slopes of the Thames Valley) and English Marmalade.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Vorpal wrote:
pete75 wrote:Not talking about PTO for machinery etc but the power take off for the front wheel drive shaft which came off the left hand side of teh gearbox. A prop shaft works best in a straightish line so the diff was offset to give it a straight line. I'm pretty sure this is how they worked because I used to drive the things. You can see the layout in this picture.

The really interesting four wheel drive conversion of the major was the Doe Triple D - a neighbour has several in his collection

OK, I would have called that a coupling or joint, rather than PTO.

I've driven a few myself.

I've also seen a few of the Doe Triple Ds before. 8)

I'm not referring to teh universal joint in teh picture but the large casing the shaft connects to. This was the extra part installed for the four wheel drive to take power off the main gearbox to drive teh front wheels. The PTO you're thinking of is a different thing and used to drive balers and such like.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

'Brash' (presumably forestry terminology) is OK in small heaps, it attracts insects which do provide food for woodland birds and other creatures. But it should not be left to carpet an entire forest floor. That way fires take hold! We often see it piled up along the sides of woodland rides and firebreaks. Probably a good idea, if only to deter ramblers from straying into the woods...

As to rabbits - I've not heard of them being a pest in woodland - that's a new one on me! But I suppose their burrows might in extreme cases collapse under the weight of a tractor - and if they've nothing else to eat they might chew tree-bark (though I think they much prefer grass... and lettuce!). But I defer to the experts on this topic.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Rabbits are very damaging to young trees, esp in winter and spring.

Why deter ramblers from walking through beautiful woods? Good for well being.
Do they nick mushrooms?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

pete75 wrote:I'm not referring to teh universal joint in teh picture but the large casing the shaft connects to. This was the extra part installed for the four wheel drive to take power off the main gearbox to drive teh front wheels. The PTO you're thinking of is a different thing and used to drive balers and such like.

The thing coming off the gearbox is not normally called a PTO. The PTO, front or back, is for driving other equipment.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Vorpal wrote:
pete75 wrote:I'm not referring to teh universal joint in teh picture but the large casing the shaft connects to. This was the extra part installed for the four wheel drive to take power off the main gearbox to drive teh front wheels. The PTO you're thinking of is a different thing and used to drive balers and such like.

The thing coming off the gearbox is not normally called a PTO. The PTO, front or back, is for driving other equipment.

It take power off from the side of the gearbox to drive the front wheels. It's added to the standard tractor to do this by a modification to teh standard spec. As I said the PTO you're thinking of is the sort that drives balers etc which is what you've just repeated back to me.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

661-Pete wrote:As to rabbits - I've not heard of them being a pest in woodland - that's a new one on me! But I suppose their burrows might in extreme cases collapse under the weight of a tractor - and if they've nothing else to eat they might chew tree-bark (though I think they much prefer grass... and lettuce!). But I defer to the experts on this topic.

Rabbits browse either planted trees or stop new seedlings naturally regenerating. Rabbits are one of the reasons trees are often protected by ubiquitous green tubes (the other is deer). The other mammal which causes serious browsing damage is squirrel but no tube will prevent them climbing! Image below shows a rabbit browsed hawthorn - you can see the stake behind but the tube is missing. The damage is distinctly different to deer fraying.

mercalia

Post by mercalia »

talk about thread deviation what is this about trees? get your own thread ( or stem )

I see the new passports will be made in the EU.
Attachments
passports.JPG
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mercalia wrote:talk about thread deviation what is this about trees? get your own thread ( or stem )

I see the new passports will be made in the EU.

The Torygraph, is it still printed on paper? What will the new Princess be called?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:talk about thread deviation what is this about trees? get your own thread ( or stem )

Most threads branch out.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

New BLUE British passport to be printed in the EU. Don't you just love it, you couldn't make it up :lol: :lol: