The “large city of Stamford”

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Thornyone

The “large city of Stamford”

Post by Thornyone »

Just came across this Sustrans description of NCN Route 63: passing through “the large cities of Leicester, Stamford and Peterborough”. Now Leicester is a largish city, though it doesn’t really feel like it if you use Route 63. Peterborough is a medium sized city. Stamford, for anyone unfamiliar with it, is a smallish town and one of the architectural gems of England, so it’s a shame that this rather misleading information might put someone off.
661-Pete

Re: The “large city of Stamford”

Post by 661-Pete »

Well, according to Wiki, Stamford is certainly not a 'city'. Not familiar with the place, so I'll take your word for its charm. I think it's American practice, to call any settlement with more than one house a 'city'? (during our visit a few years ago, we stayed at a motel near somewhere called "Lost City", West Virginia - at the foot of the Appalachians. "Lost" maybe - "City"? - ha! ha!).

Back to Stamford: this reminds me of this charming old footage, shot in 1939, of a drive up the Great North Road, in which Stamford features, along with many other towns. I wonder how much of the town is recognisable? Note the many cyclists on the road. Back then, of course, Sustrans was a mere twinkle in someone's great-grandfather's eye...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Visited Stamford on several occasions when my son lived in Peterborough.
A charming, if busy, small town indeed with some lovely architecture and certainly not changed that much from the short clip in the video.
Hopefully it'll never become a large city.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Stamford used to share with Wetherby being one of the few places on the Great North Road that didn't begin with B: Biggleswade, Baldock, Bawtry, Boroughbridge. (Not forgetting Doncaster, and no doubt plenty of others.)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

661-Pete wrote:Well, according to Wiki, Stamford is certainly not a 'city'. Not familiar with the place, so I'll take your word for its charm. I think it's American practice, to call any settlement with more than one house a 'city'? (during our visit a few years ago, we stayed at a motel near somewhere called "Lost City", West Virginia - at the foot of the Appalachians. "Lost" maybe - "City"? - ha! ha!).

Back to Stamford: this reminds me of this charming old footage, shot in 1939, of a drive up the Great North Road, in which Stamford features, along with many other towns. I wonder how much of the town is recognisable? Note the many cyclists on the road. Back then, of course, Sustrans was a mere twinkle in someone's great-grandfather's eye...

just like school heads in the usa are professors? and the world series of american foot ball ( :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ) that only include the yanks
pete75

Post by pete75 »

thirdcrank wrote:Stamford used to share with Wetherby being one of the few places on the Great North Road that didn't begin with B: Biggleswade, Baldock, Bawtry, Boroughbridge. (Not forgetting Doncaster, and no doubt plenty of others.)

Eh?

Going just 35 miles north from Stamford - Great Casterton, Colsterworth, Stoke Rochford, Great Ponton, Grantham, Great Gonerby, Foston, Long Bennington, Balderton, Newark - but one B among them. All mostly bypassed now.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

But they weren't all on the signposts that anybody will surely remember who rode on the A1 in the days when you could do so. It used to be Bbbbloody alliteration. Bramham's another, but mainly known for its crossroads.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Isn't there a YouTube link about the Old A1 (Great North Road?) and cycling it?
Sure I saw it on here .................. or did I dream it?
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

thirdcrank wrote:Stamford used to share with Wetherby being one of the few places on the Great North Road that didn't begin with B: Biggleswade, Baldock, Bawtry, Boroughbridge. (Not forgetting Doncaster, and no doubt plenty of others.)

B: Boston Spa? Near Boston?
Stamford was a more import place centuries ago, before the railway
I am sure st uses very very old history books :wink:
Or it could be american use, "city" means community, so Heckington, Swineshead and Hubberts Bridge would be cities too
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pete75

Post by pete75 »

thirdcrank wrote:But they weren't all on the signposts that anybody will surely remember who rode on the A1 in the days when you could do so. It used to be Bbbbloody alliteration. Bramham's another, but mainly known for its crossroads.

They were when I rode on it - Newark - Stamford a regular run in the late sixties.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker