Something's wrong somewhere...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Something's wrong somewhere...

Post by reohn2 »

-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Re: Something's wrong somewhere...

Post by 661-Pete »

....and the Pope continues to be a Catholic...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornw ... er-1547506
"It was around six years ago that Persimmon Homes finished building the 116-home Lowen Bre estate on the outskirts of Truro – the only thing it had left to deliver was a play park it had promised to install for the many families who moved on to the site.
It wasn't until last year that the developer finally got to work on the playground, but the setbacks didn’t stop when work started.
One councillor has claimed that the company, which is predicted to announce a pre-tax profit of £957 million for 2018, argued about installing a cradle-style net swing for “small or disabled children” because the cost was reportedly too high."
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

reohn2 wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45183881

Their pips need to be squeaked by a very hard press from a vigorous taxman. Where's that bushy eyebrowed Chancellor when you want him!?

Alternatively, they could be put into a salt mine. There may still be some around the wiches of NW England. I hereby volunteer as the whipper-in who must ensure the greedymen apply themselves forcefully to digging out the salty stuff with the teaspoon supplied them.

Cugel, also thinking about attempting to invoke the shade of Clement Attlee.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Compare that with the NHS and the "Pay rise"

The reported "headline figures"were between 5% and 6.5%

The average is 1.5%, and for many of us far less.... Mine is actually 35p per week

Compare that with the average pay rise this year across the board of 3.5%

.. and that doesn't take into account the pay deficit of 14% due too the last few years on below inflation pay rise or freezes
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornw ... er-1547506
"It was around six years ago that Persimmon Homes finished building the 116-home Lowen Bre estate on the outskirts of Truro – the only thing it had left to deliver was a play park it had promised to install for the many families who moved on to the site.
It wasn't until last year that the developer finally got to work on the playground, but the setbacks didn’t stop when work started.
One councillor has claimed that the company, which is predicted to announce a pre-tax profit of £957 million for 2018, argued about installing a cradle-style net swing for “small or disabled children” because the cost was reportedly too high."

I remember a reported case in Cambridgeshire(?) where a new estate was built with a percentage of social housing. The developers "forgot to build the social housing and built executive homes instead. The principle was that the censure would be less than the profit, so worth their while.

The Council were far more devious and resorted back to the fact that x% was social housing, and which of the houses were the ones they were allocating
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Social / affordable housing is a scam :twisted:

The day a Gov takes it on board to build houses for the workers in general will be a good day.

But No, councils stock pile properties and wait for a rainy day to sell off...................to your friendly housing developer.

Theres got to be a fix some how...........................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Social / affordable housing is a scam :twisted:

The day a Gov takes it on board to build houses for the workers in general will be a good day.

But No, councils stock pile properties and wait for a rainy day to sell off...................to your friendly housing developer.

Theres got to be a fix some how...........................

The last fix to rampant laissez-faire economics and the predations of the greedymen was World War II. It highlighted many things, including (on the positive side) the necessity of socially cohesive economics and planning to win; the benefits of co-operation and equality of opportunity in achieving effective actions for a nation's survival. On the negative side, it also illustrated the ineptitude and selfishness of many Establishment people and organisations, who had to be swept aside in favour of the competent. (Think Montgomery in North Africa - not the only such case).

Post WWII the Attlee government was voted in largely on the basis of the above lessons and a general disgust at the Churchillian wish to return to the status quo of Edwardian times. The Attlee government, despite immense difficulties and no money in the treasury, achieved a series of tremendous things, not least of which was the NHS and huge swathes of high quality council houses, still some of the best housing stock in Blighty today. (I live in one, so I know).

Since that time, there's been a slow forgetting of the necessity of social inclusiveness and co-operation in favour of self-seeking cabals and syndicates of every ilk. Neoilib economics (the modern equivalent of Victorian laissez-faire Satanic Mill economics) is dominant and has already wrecked not just British social cohesion but much of the environment.

Must we have another war of survival to re-learn these lessons? It won't work as no one will survive WWIII.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cugel wrote:...............Since that time, there's been a slow forgetting of the necessity of social inclusiveness and co-operation in favour of self-seeking cabals and syndicates of every ilk. Neoilib economics (the modern equivalent of Victorian laissez-faire Satanic Mill economics) is dominant and has already wrecked not just British social cohesion but much of the environment.

Not to mention the demonisation of the poor,the foreigner and those who need state benefits to survive.
Never in my adult life(I'm 65)have I seen such a bunch of incompetent self seeking hipocyrits in charge of the country or working people needing food hangouts to survive .The Sheriff of Nottingham has nothing on this lot

Must we have another war of survival to re-learn these lessons? It won't work as no one will survive WWIII.

Cugel

IMO the country needs a social war and it's coming at the next election
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden