Minimal use mobile phone 'upgrade' advice sought by confused person

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
deliquium

Minimal use mobile phone 'upgrade' advice sought by confused person

Postby deliquium » 14 Sep 2018, 12:21pm

Advice sought about ‘upgrading’ from an old Nokia 6303 phone with an EE SIM only monthly bill.

I hardly ever use the thing, other than as a means of telling the time, an alarm clock, the odd txt. and a possible emergency communication device when out and about. It never costs me more than £3 a month :D However the battery is getting near the end of its long life and it’s set me thinking about ‘upgrade’ time!

What really appeals to me is WiFi Calling as I don’t have any mobile coverage at all at home*, but having no knowledge of smart phones, not wanting to have any huge monthly contract bills due to my minimal use, and completely bamboozled by all the possible phones, calling plans, jargon, compatibility issues etc, any suggestions as to the the cheapest and simplest overall solution?

Willing to invest a one off payment for a handset - just don't need anything fancy - only the WiFi Calling capability.

* there are several instances when additional security codes are instantly sent via txt + various courier companies only provide delivery updated via txt, so it would be handy to receive that info (via WiFi Calling) as opposed to cycling 3.5 miles or walking up Snowdon, to get mobile coverage :roll:

ps: I do like the idea of being able to connect to the internet if needs be (as opposed to being addicted to) when out and about
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"

thirdcrank

Re: Minimal use mobile phone 'upgrade' advice sought by confused person

Postby thirdcrank » 14 Sep 2018, 12:31pm

I realise this isn't what you are asking but all sorts of firms sell batteries for legacy (a much better word than "old") phones.
http://www.batteryupgrade.co.uk/shopBro ... d/65589785

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 14 Sep 2018, 12:44pm

If you were happy with the Nokia, just get a Nokia smart phone that supports wifi calling. Nokia, 3, 5, 8 and some of the Lumia models support it.

You also have to have a service that supports it. EE do & offer some advice on their website. https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/getting- ... fi-calling They might also offer you a discount on a new phone if you commit to a minimum period contract with them.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 14 Sep 2018, 1:15pm

My wife has a "habit" of forgetting her phone, so I have a "spare" that sits in the car, I also place it in her bag when we go on holiday It is a backup also in case of loss or theft of her original.

It is an Alcatel "Pixi" which is a smart phone, doing most functions, albeit without the faster response and ease of use of some more advanced phones, but at £20 you expect that. On the occasions that we have used it is is more than adequate

Then comes the choice whether to buy "Sim Free" or locked to a network, the former has a minimum topup

In our case we bought from Three (on offer) and put in a PAYG sim as we only use it for minimal calls, and most internet would be at a Hotspot, so data access was not a concern. The only draw back is remembering to make the occasional call to keep the account and number "live"

Also the fact that on 3 PAYG data is 1p MB on 3 and £3 per MB on O2.

deliquium

Postby deliquium » 14 Sep 2018, 1:53pm

Vorpal wrote:If you were happy with the Nokia, just get a Nokia smart phone that supports wifi calling. Nokia, 3, 5, 8 and some of the Lumia models support it.

You also have to have a service that supports it. EE do & offer some advice on their website. https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/getting- ... fi-calling They might also offer you a discount on a new phone if you commit to a minimum period contract with them.

Spoken to Orange (who are hooked up with EE it seems) and it seems my average monthly bill with them is 17p a month :mrgreen: It’s a very old tariff. The cheapest option EE could offer for a WiFi Calling compatible handset (Nokia 3.1) and monthly fee is £15 (for 24 months).

Cunobelin wrote:. . . an Alcatel "Pixi" which is a smart phone, doing most functions, albeit without the faster response and ease of use of some more advanced phones, but at £20 you expect that. On the occasions that we have used it is is more than adequate

Then comes the choice whether to buy "Sim Free" or locked to a network, the former has a minimum topup

In our case we bought from Three (on offer) and put in a PAYG sim as we only use it for minimal calls, and most internet would be at a Hotspot, so data access was not a concern. The only draw back is remembering to make the occasional call to keep the account and number "live"

Also the fact that on 3 PAYG data is 1p MB on 3 and £3 per MB on O2.

Like the prices :D But unfortunately as far as I can tell neither the Alcatel nor a PAYG SIM are WiFi Calling compatible :(
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 14 Sep 2018, 2:00pm

deliquium wrote:
Like the prices :D But unfortunately as far as I can tell neither the Alcatel nor a PAYG SIM are WiFi Calling compatible :(

Alcatel have some phones that do wifi calling, but I doubt any are £20

I did have a PAYG that allowed me data including wifi calling (in Norway), but most companies are no long providing data on a PAYG basis. EE have been one of the few that do so (I don't know if they still do).

If you can find PAYG with wifi calling, it will be cheaper to do that & buy a phone yourself. If you cannot, the £15 a month is probably competitive.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 14 Sep 2018, 2:02pm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MWNWC8G/ ... B01GTUP3NI

Available sim free and it says it has wi fi

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 14 Sep 2018, 2:26pm

I have a Vodafone sim only contract for £8.50 a month and use a secondhand iPhone5c.
It get 500 minutes and unlimited texts for that plus some Gbs of mobile data ....... which I rarely, if ever, use.
If I want data, I'll go where there's free WiFi.

My phone battery life wasn't great, but since buying a new battery and fitting it myself, it's as good as new.
https://www.iphonefixuk.co.uk/collectio ... =939865243
Mick F. Cornwall

deliquium

Postby deliquium » 14 Sep 2018, 3:08pm

thirdcrank wrote:https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MWNWC8G/ref=psdc_356496011_t1_B01GTUP3NI

Available sim free and it says it has wi fi

I'm unsure whether that is the same as "WiFi Calling" which seems to be a specific setting on a compatible phone?

It would nice and simple if it was so? But "WiFi Calling" seems only available on some latest models of phone?

Mick F wrote:....... which I rarely, if ever, use.
If I want data, I'll go where there's free WiFi.

What model is your phone Mick F? Does it have a specific "WiFi Calling" settting that needs enabling?
Current pedalable joys

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 14 Sep 2018, 3:57pm

deliquium wrote: ... It would nice and simple if it was so? But "WiFi Calling" seems only available on some latest models of phone? ...

I'm not a mobile phone expert, but my understanding is that wi fi calling means that if you are somewhere without a phone signal but you have a wi fi connection, a suitable phone can use that intead. My own phone is an iphone 5c which I've had since early 2014 and it has this facility which can be switched on and off in the settings menu. It's something I have rarely used because I have a 4G signal at home and generally, if I go somewhere with no signal like out for lunch, I'm not bothered about being in contact. You may wonder why it's switchable offable but I think it's because you need one or the other: if you have a phone signal, no need for wi fi competing. I could see that if somebody wanted to use minimum minutes on phone contract, then wi fi calling might be the way to go.

Hopefully, a phone expert will feel the need to leap in, but wi fi calling isn't the big deal you imagine it to be.
==================================================================================
I'm with EE Here's their explanation:
https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/getting- ... fi-calling
It looks as though as well as having a phone that can do it, you need a contract that will let you.
Last edited by thirdcrank on 14 Sep 2018, 4:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 14 Sep 2018, 4:02pm

Apple iPhone5c

I don't think there is WiFi calling, but if you text another iPhone and both of you are connected, it goes for free via iMessage over WiFi or data.

Why do you need it?
If it's because you don't have mobile phone coverage, Vodafone do a unit called Sure Signal that plugs into your broadband router so you have mobile coverage via internet. We used one for a while and we still have it, due to their coverage being iffy.
https://www.vodafone.co.uk/network/call ... ure-signal

It works by monitoring your coverage and if it drops off, the calls are routed through it. It gives free calls of course.
Their coverage is very good here now, but the unit is still there in case they knock off the transmitter.

No doubt other providers do their own units.
Mick F. Cornwall

deliquium

Postby deliquium » 14 Sep 2018, 4:55pm

thirdcrank wrote:I'm with EE Here's their explanation:
https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/getting- ... fi-calling
It looks as though as well as having a phone that can do it, you need a contract that will let you.

Thanks again tc for your helpful suggestions and info :)

That's what it seems - or at I've been able to discover so far. Unfortunately I've yet to find a definitive information. Different networks have different phones on their lists. Some networks say other phones may work but won't guarantee it

The cheapest option if like me, one doesn't hardly need any free minutes, data download etc is to purchase a SIM free "Wifi Calling" compatible handset and either a Pay Monthly or PAYG SIM. I rang idmobile.co.uk to enquire whether their SIM only deals (and therefore the networks/carriers they use) were all "WiFi Calling" compatible. The answer was yes as it's nothing to do with the SIM - it's only down to the phone's setting - YET there seems to be lot of conflicting info out there that might suggest some network providers only want you to get the handsets from them, because they install their own firmware bobbins onto their phones which impact on the "WiFi Calling" operation?

I never know whether stuff likes this is cos I'm getting even dumber, or there really is a great deal of confusion 'out there' :(
Current pedalable joys

deliquium

Postby deliquium » 14 Sep 2018, 5:11pm

Mick F wrote:
Why do you need it?

Yes, no mobile coverage unless cycling 3.5 miles or walking up Snowdon* :roll:

Which is why the concept of "WiFi Calling" is alluring - if one can find the non conflicting information :roll:

Mick F wrote:Vodafone do a unit called Sure Signal that plugs into your broadband router so you have mobile coverage via internet.
https://www.vodafone.co.uk/network/call ... ure-signal

But that costs an additional £69 and you have to have a contract phone from Vodaphone :(

Which is why the concept of "WiFi Calling" is alluring - if one can find the non conflicting information :roll:

Also I realise I'm trying to find the most cost effective manner - mostly because I don't need a mega expensive phone and its use will be absolutely minimal.

AND as I might have allude to or mentioned previously - internet security codes/secondary authentication codes etc etc more and more rely on txt - which I can't get before they expire unless (*see above)

AND I fancy being able to have the opportunity to access the internet when I'm out and about cycling for reasons yet unkown - but everyone seems to do it these days :wink:
Current pedalable joys

iandriver

Postby iandriver » 14 Sep 2018, 6:08pm

There won't be an app that you can install on any phone now. The only phones that will do internet calls have it embedded on the phone now as supplied by the network provider. That will cost, as you've discovered.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

random37

Postby random37 » 14 Sep 2018, 6:17pm

I suspect it will be a very expensive upgrade. If you've got a computer with Internet, there are lots of VOIP services like Skype, and even Facebook Messenger. You can have video or audio calls for free.

Have you thought about a Giffgaff sim, and another dumb phone? It works out costing me about £3 a month. And it works in lots of places where my T-mobile phone doesn't work.

I can send you an almost unused, workable basic phone that will work with Giffgaff and a Giffgaff SIM for an SAE. Put a couple of coins in a collection tin if it works for you, if not leave it at a charity shop.

How's that?