Julian Assange? Who's that?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: Julian Assange? Who's that?

Post by thirdcrank »

We can't start on the cui bono stuff till something actually happens.

I fancy one of the first things to happen will be Julian (who may eventually become Arsenal or some such :oops: ) trying to extract as much publicity out of it as possible, both for its own sake, and perhaps as a way of pulling off a Josef Locke type disappearance.

If he really believes the US govt is out to get him, he must be worried now. Unless he would enjoy even that publicity.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

thirdcrank wrote:We can't start on the cui bono stuff till something actually happens.

Two or more things have happened, so we can join two or more dots (dot-joining being another thing we like to do in conspiracy-theory circles).

I fancy one of the first things to happen will be Julian (who may eventually become Arsenal or some such :oops: ) trying to extract as much publicity out of it as possible, both for its own sake, and perhaps as a way of pulling off a Josef Locke type disappearance.

If he really believes the US govt is out to get him, he must be worried now. Unless he would enjoy even that publicity.

He might think it's an opportunity to publicise the Wikileaks project?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
And UK police cost 1.8 mil............................in overtime :roll:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

... (I've had a knock at the door but it was just the window cleaner. More often than not it's somebody selling something.)

Nothing whatsoever to do with JA, but I've just had another knock at the door: not the window but Ian Duncan Smith.

Desperate to get across the message that Corbyn as PM would be a disaster. He has very good listening skills and doesn't flinch whatever you say. Even telling him how pleased I was when he resigned didn't alter his expression one bit. I suspect I've achieved little more than keeping him on my doorstep for 30 mins rather than anybody else's. Luckily, no TV camera.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Not so well connected but I was offered a talk with Dr Sarah Wollaston...I declined at the time...........at my doorstep...........the other day.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It looks as though this is the fifth anniversary of asylum. So many other things going on to attract the attention of the media, it also looks as though this will pass virtually unnoticed. With remission, this equals a ten year stretch.

He did taunt the establishment with the suggestion he might stand in the recent General Election. Perhaps he missed a trick by not doing so: had he been elected, TM might have been keen to get him out of the Embassy to bolster her majority. :wink:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

THREAD RESURRECTION ALERT!

Doesn't time just fly? I'm a few days early this year because - weather permitting - there's some sort of demo on Tuesday, and I'd not want anybody to miss it.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Please tell what's the latest :)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I only know what's been published although the "weather permitting" bit was my own creation.

Thousands of Wikileaks supporters worldwide will hold protests at U.K and U.S Embassies on June 19th, 2018 to demand that the Governments of Australia, United States and United Kingdom pardon Assange and free the publisher from any potential indictment or charges in the U.S.

The Protestors and Activists for Human Rights, and Justice, are demanding that Australia, Britain and the U.S. abide by the U.N. ruling to immediately free and compensate Julian Assange. The U.N. has ruled that Assange is being illegally detained.

Protests confirmed to be held in the USA, Australia, Ireland, U.K, New Zealand, Switzerland, Sri Lanka and India, at U.K. and U.S. Embassies Worldwide including eighteen cities and twenty separate events confirmed so far.

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO1806/S ... h-june.htm
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I see he's now taking action against the government of Ecuador. He's now been in the embassy well over six years, the equivalent of a 12 year custodial sentence. It must be having an effect on his mental state.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45915017

Even the pic is from the archives.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

thirdcrank wrote:I see he's now taking action against the government of Ecuador. He's now been in the embassy well over six years, the equivalent of a 12 year custodial sentence. It must be having an effect on his mental state.

He may have gone barmy, but his mental state probably hasn't fared worse than the collective mental state of the UK during the same period.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I suspect what happens depends on the future political situation in Ecuador. When he went in there, that country's government apparently wanted to make a gesture against the US but the present government is more keen to cosy up. I've no idea of the potential for a change back again. I also suspect that his hosts currently want him out, one way or another. One way it might happen would be if he were to need medical treatment outside the sanctuary of the embassy. He'd be arrested and when fit to be detained he'd be off to court to answer the jumping bail allegation. Unless it's changed, the procedure is a bit unusual in that the court has discretion whether to pursue the case. ( ie There's no prosecutor. Once upon a time the police used to charge like anything else, but the appeal courts decided otherwise.) That would mean that he wouldn't have much control over what happened by things like refusing to plead. AFAIK, the beak, probably a district judge could say that the case need not be taken further and he'd be released, either straight into the arms of whichever secret service wanted to squirrel him away, or not, as the case may be. I do know that a judge refused to withdraw the arrest warrant for the bail offence, but that's a bit different. IIRC, the reasoning then was that people couldn't pick and choose about surrendering to bail.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

In my opinion were he to emerge outside embassy protection UK would arrest him and immediately reveal they have a US extradition order .....

These days people caught red handed/strong evidence are given no more than a Police warning. Given Assange was never arrested, never charged and the entire thing was still at the allegation stage there is no way the UK would be pursuing this if they did not have "ulterior motives" (like a US extradition request).

Ian
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Psamathe wrote:In my opinion were he to emerge outside embassy protection UK would arrest him and immediately reveal they have a US extradition order .....

These days people caught red handed/strong evidence are given no more than a Police warning. Given Assange was never arrested, never charged and the entire thing was still at the allegation stage there is no way the UK would be pursuing this if they did not have "ulterior motives" (like a US extradition request).

Perhaps we'll find out how close to Trump he really is (not that Trump would mind throwing an ally to the lions).
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mmmmmm

He must have been arrested at some point in England and Wales to have been released on bail. That's a simple fact.

After that, there's different ways of looking at it. To me, much of this is the wheels grinding on. There's also the known involvement of two jurisdictions, with different rules. My impression is that JA's priority is attracting publicity but there's not been much. For the rest, it's speculation. I would say that if there was a covert plan to lure him out with a false sense of security, the obvious route would have been to support his application to have the bail jump warrant withdrawn. Nobody knows if he'd have fallen for it, but it seems more likely than telling him he'd be arrested and put before the court no matter what.