** The General Election Thread **

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Re: ** The General Election Thread **

Postby Oldjohnw » 1 Dec 2019, 6:16pm

The people who have stopped Brexit are the ERG and Johnson himself. They kept voting down May:s bill
Then,despite Johnson's bill getting through the first and second reading, he abandoned it. And he sacked party members for doing what he did.
John

Cycling and recycling

francovendee

Postby francovendee » 2 Dec 2019, 8:35am

Just heard on Radio 4, an interview with a Tory about the recent stabbings of two young people on London Bridge.
Once again it's the fault of the previous labour government. Each time they're questioned on there record they blame Labour.
After 10 years it seems they've not changed any of the 'bad' legacies from the previous government!!!! Belies belief :roll:
Oh, I nearly forgot " Get Brexir Done" and it'll be so much better :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 2 Dec 2019, 9:03am

windmiller wrote:Oh they turned up alright, just to block democracy every which way way they could. The country has never needed a GE more than it has now. Many of them are in for one big reality check.

So... democratically elected representatives are just there to block democracy? Because they prefer Remain to Brexit? Do I understand that correctly?

Are our elected representatives no longer allowed to represent us if it goes against government initiative? Or does it only count for referendums?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 2 Dec 2019, 9:09am

francovendee wrote:Just heard on Radio 4, an interview with a Tory about the recent stabbings of two young people on London Bridge.
Once again it's the fault of the previous labour government. Each time they're questioned on there record they blame Labour.
After 10 years it seems they've not changed any of the 'bad' legacies from the previous government!!!! Belies belief :roll:
Oh, I nearly forgot " Get Brexir Done" and it'll be so much better :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Heard the same trope over the w/end along trying to blame the world wide banking crash all on Labour.
10 ten years these people have been running the circus with a succession of bad clown acts trashing the big top!
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 2 Dec 2019, 9:20am

reohn2 wrote:
francovendee wrote:Just heard on Radio 4, an interview with a Tory about the recent stabbings of two young people on London Bridge.

Heard the same trope over the w/end along trying to blame the world wide banking crash all on Labour.
10 ten years these people have been running the circus with a succession of bad clown acts trashing the big top!

In 2008 the current Chancellor was working for Deutsche Bank flogging the very derivatives which fuelled the crisis.
John

Cycling and recycling

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 2 Dec 2019, 9:23am

Oldjohnw wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

In 2008 the current Chancellor was working for Deutsche Bank flogging the very derivatives which fuelled the crisis.

Why am I not surprised :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Debs

Postby Debs » 3 Dec 2019, 12:26pm

This will be a very interesting fought out Constituency to watch next week :)

Uxbridge and South Ruislip

The 2017 GE result:
Conservative = 23,716
Labour = 18,682
Liberal Democrats = 1,835
UKIP = 1,577
Green = 884

It depends upon how many young Remainers have come to voting age in that constituency, and how many Lib Dem and Green supporters vote tactfully for Labour, and how many well motivated remain Ex-Pats register their voting residence in that ward.
But it has every possibly to swing it to a Labour win :wink:

horizon

Postby horizon » 3 Dec 2019, 12:45pm

Debs wrote:
and how many Lib Dem and Green supporters vote tactfully for Labour,

My impression is that the Lib Dems and Greens are the most polite of all voters. :wink:
Let's just get Brexit done so that we can get on with the important job of re-joining the EU!

PDQ Mobile

Postby PDQ Mobile » 3 Dec 2019, 12:49pm

So Trump is going to stay out of the UK election!

And in the same sentence says" I think Boris is very capable and will do a good job"!!

Like you didn't interfere in the internal politics of your own "great country" using the withholding of funds to try to get dirt dished on a political opponent.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50632385

Sonic Boom!!
Did you see the Mail and the Sun's reporting of it?
What was the "empty" aircraft?
image.jpg

PDQ Mobile

Postby PDQ Mobile » 3 Dec 2019, 12:51pm

horizon wrote:
Debs wrote:
and how many Lib Dem and Green supporters vote tactfully for Labour,

My impression is that the Lib Dems and Greens are the most polite of all voters. :wink:

Without a doubt.
And generally happier and better looking!! :shock:

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 3 Dec 2019, 1:09pm

Oxbridge and Tropic of Ruislip :wink:
I think I have heard of that somewhere, but who is the sitting member?
What happens if he is not elected?
'Were you still up for Portillo' is a book about the landslide/bouleversement of 1997
Might be worth reading again before the Glorious Twelfth
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

pete75

Postby pete75 » 3 Dec 2019, 4:59pm

The Conservatives have said they will introduce an Australian style immigration system. Something for us all to fear. The Australian system seemed to involve a hoard of immigrants entering the place killing off a lot of the native population and stealing almost all their land.

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 3 Dec 2019, 5:07pm

It also involves interning asylum seekers for years in Papua New Guinea.

The UK would probably use Rockall.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 3 Dec 2019, 5:26pm

Audax67 wrote:It also involves interning asylum seekers for years in Papua New Guinea.

The UK would probably use Rockall.

isle of Wight is closer?

Boris will borrow Trumps idea of a Great ( sea) Wall of the Channel. The nth wonder of the world?

windmiller

Postby windmiller » 3 Dec 2019, 5:34pm

Vorpal wrote:
windmiller wrote:Oh they turned up alright, just to block democracy every which way way they could. The country has never needed a GE more than it has now. Many of them are in for one big reality check.

So... democratically elected representatives are just there to block democracy? Because they prefer Remain to Brexit? Do I understand that correctly?

Are our elected representatives no longer allowed to represent us if it goes against government initiative? Or does it only count for referendums?

Our elected MPs' are there to represent the will of their electorate. In the case of the brexit vote which remain lost {do you understand that correctly?) The majority of MPs' outside of London, Scotland and NI, denied the democratic decision of the majority of their voters. I call that dangerously undemocratic. I think I remember the pre brexit government had the initative of standing for remaining in the EU. The EU has an ingrained habit of ignoring the results of referendums that go against it and persuading such rebellions to vote the correct way as soon as possible. This is reflected by many of those MPs' who support remain.