E-scooters

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pedals2slowly

E-scooters

Post by pedals2slowly »

500 watts and the need to have a driving licence to use them
Is this nuts and why don't they mirror e-bikes?
[XAP]Bob

Re: E-scooters

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Yes it's nuts... Clearly some MPs don't want them, so they make the trial so bad that no-one uses them
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi, Well I don't want them either! Ruddy Dangerous especially for us ageing pedestrians.
E.Bikes are far safer for all. Pointless toys. MM
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

If they do 15, then they’re fine legislated as per the bicycle.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pedals2slowly

Post by pedals2slowly »

[XAP]Bob wrote:If they do 15, then they’re fine legislated as per the bicycle.

Apparently they are permitted to be up to 500W!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Who cares what the power is, remember that they can't get assistance from pedalling... The limited speed is far more important.
mjr

Post by mjr »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Yes it's nuts... Clearly some MPs don't want them, so they make the trial so bad that no-one uses them

This. Sabotage to avoid two wheelers gaining allies and to preserve the four wheeled coffin supremacy.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pedals2slowly

Post by pedals2slowly »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Who cares what the power is, remember that they can't get assistance from pedalling... The limited speed is far more important.

Err 'scooters' remember how they work? Leg propulsion plus 500 W acceleration might be rather nippy and worrying for new users and people/traffic around them not expecting it
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Just pushing off on a normal scooter is plenty fast enough to give people around you cause for alarm... the idea here is that you don't need to. And I'll wager that you can't put much 'scooting' power out when doing ten miles an hour or more - so they need the additional power to deal with inclines at a sane speed.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

The Mrs and me used a couple of e-scooters in Vienna last December to get back to the hotel, turned a 45 minute walk into a 10 minute ride! Looking back it was a bit dodgy as we'd had an alcoholic afternoon!! Good fun though!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Just pushing off on a normal scooter is plenty fast enough to give people around you cause for alarm... the idea here is that you don't need to. And I'll wager that you can't put much 'scooting' power out when doing ten miles an hour or more - so they need the additional power to deal with inclines at a sane speed.

well I have seen them zoom along Streatham High St and my local road at more than 10 miles/hr
pedals2slowly

Post by pedals2slowly »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Just pushing off on a normal scooter is plenty fast enough to give people around you cause for alarm... the idea here is that you don't need to. And I'll wager that you can't put much 'scooting' power out when doing ten miles an hour or more - so they need the additional power to deal with inclines at a sane speed.

It's the 0 - 10 mph that is likely to be the problem, super light vehicle 500W accelerating away from the lights while pedestrians continue to dart across at the last minute. Does depend how the control system is programmed but try riding an 'off-road' 500W e-bike on 'boost' and you'll appreciate what I mean.
Why would they need 500W to go at a sane speed up hill when an e-bike only needs 250W?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

pedals2slowly wrote:It's the 0 - 10 mph that is likely to be the problem, super light vehicle 500W accelerating away from the lights while pedestrians continue to dart across at the last minute. Does depend how the control system is programmed but try riding an 'off-road' 500W e-bike on 'boost' and you'll appreciate what I mean.
Why would they need 500W to go at a sane speed up hill when an e-bike only needs 250W?

Because they can't drop a gear? Because their tiny hub motors aren't as efficient as the ones you can fit to an ebike? Because you can't add another few hundred watts with your legs?

Starting off in a low gear on my ebike I can fair sprint off the line.
I have a 350w scooter here in my hall that I've borrowed to play on, take it from me it's not even remotely as quick off the line as my ebike.
(And it fair struggles with fairly minor hills)
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Crackbrained is the word that comes to mind - surely it's a bad joke?
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi All, If they had been marketed by Clive Sinclair then they would have been doomed to instant failure!
But as I see it they were created by someone of a similar mind, laughable, that if they weren't dangerous,which they are!
Used by antisocial louts they haven't got a single redeeming feature, that is every one that I have encountered using them should be sectioned under the Mental Health Act, a danger to the public.
But I add the question - When each of the morons who chooses to use the pavements with pedal-cycles, pedelecs, & E-Scooters is permitted by omission on the part of the Authorities to take over, where exactly are pedestrians supposed to go? :shock: :roll: :twisted: . MM