should politics be banned on the forum?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Ben@Forest

Re: should politics be banned on the forum?

Post by Ben@Forest »

Mike Sales wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 10:00pm They could be called a class or nationality of their own.
I guess this is why Meghan Markle has caused such consternation.
Did it? George VI married someone not of royal blood (the late Queen Mother). As parents they apparently fully expected that their daughters would end up marrying those not of royal blood - the fact that Elizabeth and Philip's marriage was royal-royal was a coincidence. And all their children have married spouses not of royal blood.

It seems that all royal spouses fall 'in and out of favour' with the press more than the royal family itself. Of course we don't really know the inside stories - do we really believe people like Paul Burrell who aims to make as much of a living as possible out of memoirs, talk shows and celebrity appearances? And I'm not sure the Harry and Meghan relationship would have caused consternation until well after the marriage - and not because of her ethnic background.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

What is royal blood? If prince Charles need a transfusion could this be done in a normal hospital?
John
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Oldjohnw wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 10:08am What is royal blood? If prince Charles need a transfusion could this be done in a normal hospital?
I think it's a sort of hydraulic fluid used by a top end mountain bike suspension fork manufacturer.
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 7:11pm Obviously c**p was not the word I reported, a moderator used it in a thread title! I should maybe like to know for what language someone was banned, but it has presumably been deleted
Would you kindly PM me with the 'unsuitable for children' word you did report?Is any word 'unsuitable for children' nowadays?
Vorpal wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 1:32pm I have reviewed the series of posts for which Ride-sleep-repeat was banned & sent them a pm to clarify.
Recieved,read and noted.I know exactly what was written down in my posts and still fail to see,in the context which they were written,what was offensive and/or broke rules.Obviously someone must have reported this?It's done now.

On the subject of screen shots there is at least one member who has taken to doing this and has stated so in another thread.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Can't imagine any children ever venturing onto CUK, would guess the average age is 70 or more - lol. And if they did it would be us oldens offended by their language.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Oldjohnw wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 10:08am What is royal blood? If prince Charles need a transfusion could this be done in a normal hospital?
I don't think it was confined to the royals either. From the lower-middle class upwards there was often a sense or expectation of 'marrying well' or for some trade-off between social standing and hard cash. I read somewhere that for many years the only class which married for love was the peasantry or working class. So it's possible your forebears thought like this too...
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If I can wind back to the most recent comments on the foe facility, I'll say it's naïve for anybody to assume that what they post will be widely read or fully read by those who do look at it.

If I buy a newspaper, especially a weekend edition, several of the supplements go in in the recycling bin unopened. Of the bits I keep, quite a bit gets only a skim. Ditto, enclosures with magazines. And unsolicited emails. And junk mail.

The title "foe" seems unnecessarily antagonistic and might be better termed "unsubscribe." I'd not use it to avoid discussion; it's a labour saving device to junk stuff I wouldn't read anyway. On the same theme, just as it's apparently possible to subscribe to a thread, I'd like to be able to unsubscribe, especially if it has a clever title that I'm too stupid to remember what it's about.

While I'm on, what does the "friend" facility do? Blow kisses?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I've not tried it, but I think 'friend' causes that person's posts to be highlighted.

One place where, regrettably, I do maintain a 'foe' list, is the online Bridge-playing site BBO (which I've all but deserted of late, but that's for different reasons). Why do I have 'foes'? If someone has been exceptionally abusive in the chat line, or if I suspect someone of cheating. Alas! Cheating in bridge, especially online, is as endemic as cheating in cycle sport...

One one occasion I discovered that I was on another player's 'foe' list, because (without naming names) I had made a comment about plenty of cheating on BBO. Just that. This poor individual, it seems, was in denial: couldn't accept that fact that anyone ever cheats at Bridge! Just like the Government denying that there's any institutional racism in this country...

The effect of making someone a 'foe' is that you won't be partnered with them in an individual tournament.

On the other hand, I have made all the members of my local 'live' club in Lewes, into 'friends' on BBO - this gives me a quick check as to when they're online. All the members who've signed up for the site, that is. Sadly, my favourite partner hasn't - he said he's too old and not computer-literate enough. Maybe he's right!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've not tried it, but I think 'friend' causes that person's posts to be highlighted.
You are now on my list of friends and I see no difference. Have you experienced a warm glow?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Jdsk wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 7:56am Philip didn't come from a family called either Battenburg or Mountbatten. He adopted that name on 28 February 1947 at the age of 25. [...]
He was the son of Princess Alice of Battenberg (another great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria) so how do you figure he didn't come from that family as much as the Glücksbergs?

Switching to one's mother's maiden name is hardly rare, albeit less common then.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

1 Because the inheritance system for all of the relevant families, dynasties and thrones was patrilineal.

2 Because of how he described his own origins and identity.

Jonathan
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Surnames of Royals tend to be problematic - they keep changing. Didn't George V decide that "Saxe-Coburg" wasn't an ideal surname during WW1, so they changed it to "Windsor"?

There was a story, I believe, that during WW2, when the king of Norway was in exile in London, but relatively unknown, he went to apply for something and was asked his name. He replied "Haakon". He was then asked "what's your Christian name?". He said, "that is my Christian name." So the next question was, "what's your surname?" He replied, "I don't have a surname, I'm just 'Haakon'."

I don't know whether the story is true, or what happened next.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes, when you're sufficiently royal you don't have a surname.

So it was the dynastic or "House" or family name that was changed from Saxe-Coburg and Gotha to Windsor.

Jonathan
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

661-Pete wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 4:13pm Surnames of Royals tend to be problematic - they keep changing. Didn't George V decide that "Saxe-Coburg" wasn't an ideal surname during WW1, so they changed it to "Windsor"?

There was a story, I believe, that during WW2, when the king of Norway was in exile in London, but relatively unknown, he went to apply for something and was asked his name. He replied "Haakon". He was then asked "what's your Christian name?". He said, "that is my Christian name." So the next question was, "what's your surname?" He replied, "I don't have a surname, I'm just 'Haakon'."

I don't know whether the story is true, or what happened next.
Yes, it was Saxe-Coburg-Gotha but, as Dachsunds were being kicked to death in the street, he changed it to the anodyne “Windsor”.

The first Sea Lord (head of the navy) had to resign at the start of the Great War due to his German name and German birth/origins. While he lived in Britain, and was as loyal as a lion, he was in fact German.

He was Prince Louis of Battenberg, Philips grandfather, which again reinforces Philip’s Germanic family and origins.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

markjohnobrien wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 5:28pmHe was Prince Louis of Battenberg, Philips grandfather, which again reinforces Philip’s Germanic family and origins.
Of course Philip had ancestors from Germany, and from many other countries.

What fascinates me is the resistance to the idea that his family was Danish. He identified himself as Danish, had Danish patrilineal descent, and was born a Danish prince.

Jonathan