Who's had their second jab?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Who's had their second jab?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

jo' bo wrote: 17 May 2021, 5:54pm Talk about a circular arguments, if those with compromised immune systems can be vacinated ( which isnt actually universally true), then my not being vacinated is of no inconvenience to anyone But me
Talk about missing the point entirely.

I can safely have the injections (i.e. they won't harm me) there is however no evidence that my immune system will react to the vaccine. There is evidence that in the general population it is highly effective.

I had absolutely no side effects from either jab, and am currently paying for a split IgG and IgM antibody count, because if I haven't responded the vaccine, then I probably need to isolate from my wife and kids *again* - and that sucks more than you can possibly imagine.

The overall rate of infection in the country (or more specifically in the region we live) is massively important.
If I lived in an area without any buses the chance of me being hit by a bus would be low, if I lived on a street where every bus in town came though, and the drivers were always drunk and reckless, then my chances of being hit by a bus would be higher.

Which place would you go out for a walk?

"The unvaccinated half are being protected by beibg under 40, a Protection they always had, which is why they are being done last"
Yeah - they tended not to get seriously ill and therefore be a major danger to the NHS, but they are just as (if not more) likely to spread the virus than older members of our population.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

jo' bo wrote: 17 May 2021, 6:05pmThe unvaccinated half are being protected by beibg under 40, a Protection they always had, which is why they are being done last
They're relatively protected by their age from serious illness and death.

And they're further protected by other people being vaccinated, regardless of the age of the recipient of the transmission:

Screenshot 2021-05-17 at 18.07.48.png
https://khub.net/documents/135939561/39 ... 9601878136

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 17 May 2021, 6:09pm
jo' bo wrote: 17 May 2021, 5:54pm "The unvaccinated half are being protected by beibg under 40, a Protection they always had, which is why they are being done last"
Yeah - they tended not to get seriously ill and therefore be a major danger to the NHS, but they are just as (if not more) likely to spread the virus than older members of our population.
And then there is the devastating impact of long-Covid and younger people seem quite at risk from that ...

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 17 May 2021, 6:24pm
jo' bo wrote: 17 May 2021, 5:54pm "The unvaccinated half are being protected by beibg under 40, a Protection they always had, which is why they are being done last"
And then there is the devastating impact of long-Covid and younger people seem quite at risk from that ...
It does worry me that the drop in deaths will lead some people to forget about that.

Jonathan
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Ah but that’s not a problem for the next three months, so it’s beyond the attention span of our politicians.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I'm wondering whether the rules about mask-wearing are being unofficially eased. A few days ago in the supermarket, I noticed more than the usual number of adult customers not wearing a mask or shield. And this despite there being a doorman posted - and a notice sternly proclaiming 'no mask, no entry'. I didn't see anyone being challenged. Of course they could have all been medically exempt - just a coincidence.

I should emphasise that, despite hating the things, I'm continuing to wear a mask where required, until we're officially told we don't need to...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The experts would like to hear a lot more emphasis on masks, on ventilation indoors, and on the number of different contacts as well as the number of people in any one encounter.

And would like to see much better isolation after testing and tracing.

Jonathan

PS: Thanks again to everyone who has accepted the offer of vaccination.
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

jo' bo wrote: 17 May 2021, 5:54pm Talk about a circular arguments, if those with compromised immune systems can be vacinated ( which isnt actually universally true), then my not being vacinated is of no inconvenience to anyone But me

I can safely have the injections (i.e. they won't harm me) there is however no evidence that my immune system will react to the vaccine. There is evidence that in the general population it is highly effective.

I had absolutely no side effects from either jab, and am currently paying for a split IgG and IgM antibody count, because if I haven't responded the vaccine, then I probably need to isolate from my wife and kids *again* - and that sucks more than you can possibly imagine.

The overall rate of infection in the country (or more specifically in the region we live) is massively important.
If I lived in an area without any buses the chance of me being hit by a bus would be low, if I lived on a street where every bus in town came though, and the drivers were always drunk and reckless, then my chances of being hit by a bus would be higher.

"The unvaccinated half are being protected by beibg under 40, a Protection they always had, which is why they are being done last"
I fear your missing the point, the virus has all ready been through a,significant % of the population as undiagnosed cases, when they started mass testing the rate of infection went up!!!! Funny that all those people who never felt I'll suddenly being added to the list

Its here to stay, unless it suddenly mutates its s4lf out of existance like the spanish flu did, vaccinating people particularly the elderly who made up by far the largest part if the death toll will cut the death rate, it wont make the virus go away, it will continue spreading and receding much like cold and flu

Unless some research I read turns out to be true, that covid natural predator, is the cold virus, which attacks and kills it

which then of course becomes borderline comic, as what the lock down did manage to do was eradicate the cold virus, when all they had to do was wait for every one to get a winter cold and that was the end of the pandemic
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

jo' bo wrote: 17 May 2021, 6:55pm

I fear your missing the point, the virus has all ready been through a,significant % of the population as undiagnosed cases, when they started mass testing the rate of infection went up!!!! Funny that all those people who never felt I'll suddenly being added to the list
I don't think that any point is being missed. The rate of infection isn't affected by methods of measurement, only our estimates of it.

Jonathan
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Deleted - made no sense in the light of thread pruning
Last edited by Bonefishblues on 18 May 2021, 9:23am, edited 1 time in total.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

jo' bo wrote: 17 May 2021, 7:52pm ....
No, not yet, but the vacine passport if it happens will come very close to that
UK vaccine passport happened today. App on a smartphone or request a paper copy. Discussed in other threads on the forum.

Ian
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

jo' bo wrote: 17 May 2021, 8:01pm
Bonefishblues wrote: 17 May 2021, 7:56pm Everyone wins in this scenario, that's the great thing. You do yourself and others a good turn. It really is as simple as that. You can exercise choice not to, but so then can others explore and challenge that decision.
There a good few of us holding out, so it's more than just me prepared to risk their own safety for the freedom of choice of all of us.
Yes, that's obvious.

What is also obvious is the rapid spread of the new Indian Variant in areas with a low take-up of the vaccine.

'Holding out' sounds almost heroic. It's really not, you know, nor are you in any way protecting me or my freedom of choice.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Deleted - made no sense in the light of thread pruning
Last edited by Bonefishblues on 18 May 2021, 9:24am, edited 1 time in total.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

jo' bo wrote: 17 May 2021, 8:38pm
Bonefishblues wrote: 17 May 2021, 8:12pm
jo' bo wrote: 17 May 2021, 8:01pm

There a good few of us holding out, so it's more than just me prepared to risk their own safety for the freedom of choice of all of us.
Yes, that's obvious.

What is also obvious is the rapid spread of the new Indian Variant in areas with a low take-up of the vaccine.

'Holding out' sounds almost heroic. It's really not, you know, nor are you in any way protecting me or my freedom of choice.
I am protecting you freedom, you may not want me to, but that your freedom of choice that allows that to happen, win win
I can't see that atall. Freedom of choice is not maintained by people choosing not to participate. If anything it makes it more likely that restrictions will be introduced for non-vaccinated (if too many don't get vaccinated and public health of others is at risk and lockdowns and further waves happen).To clarify, suppose 80% of people "chose" not to get vaccinated then lockdowns would continue ad-infinitum, economy would die, country would go bankrupt, etc. - so Government would be forced to introduce rules like "only vaccinated people can go to pubs (public safety), etc." until there was adequate pressure for enough uptake ... The more people get vaccinated the safer the country will be, lower drain on health services (meaning desperately ill e.g. cancer patients can start being treated again), the more we can return to normality, the lower the economic impact, faster the recovery, greater freedom to travel, etc., etc.
jo' bo wrote: 17 May 2021, 8:38pm ....
More interesting is how this variant got into the country with our ever viligent govenment on the case
With these variants it tends to come down to how much how soon rather than if. And UK Governments dither and delay policy yet again meant the UK got a lot very soon (of the Indian variant). Made worse when Government does not support people to self-isolate so need to pay rent/buy food mean that too many fail to quarantine/isolate and more spreading happens, etc.

Ian
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

Psamathe wrote: 17 May 2021, 9:11pm
jo' bo wrote: 17 May 2021, 8:38pm
Bonefishblues wrote: 17 May 2021, 8:12pm

Yes, that's obvious.

I am protecting you freedom, you may not want me to, but that your freedom of choice that allows that to happen, win win
I can't see that atall. Freedom of choice is not maintained by people choosing not to participate. If anything it makes it more likely that restrictions will be introduced for non-vaccinated (if too many don't get vaccinated and public health of others is at risk and lockdowns and further waves happen).To clarify, suppose 80% of people "chose" not to get vaccinated then lockdowns would continue ad-infinitum, economy would die, country would go bankrupt, etc. - so Government would be forced to introduce rules like "only vaccinated people can go to pubs (public safety), etc." until there was adequate pressure for enough uptake ... The more people get vaccinated the safer the country will be, lower drain on health services (meaning desperately ill e.g. cancer patients can start being treated again), the more we can return to normality, the lower the economic impact, faster the recovery, greater freedom to travel, etc., etc.
jo' bo wrote: 17 May 2021, 8:38pm ....
More interesting is how this variant got into the country with our ever viligent govenment on the case
With these variants it tends to come down to how much how soon rather than if. And UK Governments dither and delay policy yet again meant the UK got a lot very soon (of the Indian variant). Made worse when Government does not support people to self-isolate so need to pay rent/buy food mean that too many fail to quarantine/isolate and more spreading happens, etc.

Ian
You exercised your freedom to choose the vacine, I've no Problem with that, I exercised mine not to, lots it seem do have aN issue with that, though it's exactly the
same freedom of choice with a different option choosen.

That how freedom rolls,

After that its straight out of catch 22, if I choose not to the govenment will mandate it, so I need to choose to do what the govenment wants so I have freedom eeer