This is what you get with Brexit- you have more problems buying a Brooks saddle

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
atoz

Re: This is what you get with Brexit- you have more problems buying a Brooks saddle

Post by atoz »

PH wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 11:16pm
Aikon wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 11:04pm I was part of the team that managed that info at Extra…
OK, so you obviously know your stuff, better than me!
And I totally agree, buying a Brooks hasn’t changed due to Brexit
Well at least we can agree on something!! Hopefully that'll put an end to this thread...
Thanks...
[XAP]Bob

Re: This is what you get with Brexit- you have more problems buying a Brooks saddle

Post by [XAP]Bob »

PH wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 6:38pm
[XAP]Bob wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 8:58am
Brexit will make this more of a problem because of the increased bureaucracy unfortunately, like it has for other businesses if the product comes from the EU or from a supplier based in the EU. I'm not holding my breath.that this will improve soon..
Why would it improve?
At some point the UK government will have to apply checks at our borders (both with the EU and with the part of the UK still in the customs union). At the moment it's a smugglers paradise, there are no inbound checks.

It's going to get significantly worse from here.

It's worth noting of course that the EU hasn't changed the rules that determine how it deals with third countries, we just became subject to them when uk.gov unilaterally decided to exit the customs union in the extreme tory brexit.
I took the comment about not holding their breath to mean atoz wasn't expecting it to improve.
I am. I know that's not a popular stance on this forum, but why wouldn't it? The EU has plenty of non member trading partners who get on without the chaos we have at present, what makes you think we can't become one of them? I'm not suggesting any future trading practices or arrangements will be a substitute for being a member, or guess how much improvement will happen, but there will be some. Even within the context of this thread - Brooks in Italy were not shipping to the UK for six months and now they are, OK it's on terms you'd have to be desperate or daft to buy from, but on the basis that something is better than nothing, it's an improvement.
It will get worse when we get forced to actually apply border checks, it will then gradually improve (possibly as our economy slumps to the point of not being able to afford imports) as those checks are streamlined.

It will never recover to the ease and speed we had previously.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Ben@Forest wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 7:11pm
[XAP]Bob wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 6:22pm
Ben@Forest wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 4:37pm Well tighter regs are going to be of some benefit. I've just been to a nursery and the nurseryman said that since Brexit the rules for importing plants which are susceptible to Xyella fastidiosa (a plant pathogen) are stricter.

It's widespread in Italy and Spain and prior to Brexit we tried to control iimporting possibly infected plants; the EU refused on grounds of competition. Post Brexit they're now subject to tighter import checks. So it's a minor win in the horticultural spread of disease around the globe.

Except that even basic import checks aren't taking place on massive amounts of imported produce... plants and plant products aren't due to be checked at all until March 2022.

So all this talk of border control, our borders are more open then they have been in decades
Not according to the guy l was talking to today. He runs a nursery which as of today was holding £600,000 worth of stock - all plants, no garden furniture, or little amusing gnomes.

Those plants are subject to tougher rules right now. Period. If you know better?
Some plant rules have changed, there are three phases of rules - some came in this year, others are next year, still others are later next year.

But we don't yet have full border checks, we don't have the capacity to do so because the incompetent fools in Westminster spent so long bickering over how much they could harm the country that they didn't actually do any planning for dealing with that harm.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
PH

Post by PH »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 3:19pm It will get worse when we get forced to actually apply border checks, it will then gradually improve (possibly as our economy slumps to the point of not being able to afford imports) as those checks are streamlined.
Just to be clear these checks are, for the most part, on the documentation, specifications, origin, tax coding. There are some loads (Live animals?) where physical checks routinely take place, and customs have always had the right to examine any load, but in general if the papers are in order the load is on the way. The EU didn't delay the implementation, these checks have been taking place on exports since 1st Jan.
It will never recover to the ease and speed we had previously.
Indeed, I made that very point.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Export checks are in place, because we aren’t doing them.
It’s imports that are open season.