Which one is me?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Which one is me?

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 1:30pm I would have thought that when I talk about drugs having a negative affect on life expectancy I mean the huge range of illegal drugs.
But the two most harmful drugs are tobacco and alcohol... recreational but not illegal for most users.

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Jdsk wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 1:33pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 1:30pm I would have thought that when I talk about drugs having a negative affect on life expectancy I mean the huge range of illegal drugs.
But the two most harmful drugs are tobacco and alcohol... recreational but not illegal for most users.

Jonathan

My background in prisons informs my particular use of the word. I was saying what i meant but I fully agree about the two major legal drugs.

Prisons are alcohol free, theoretically, and mainly tobacco free.
John
Mike Sales

Re: Which one is me

Post by Mike Sales »

Jdsk wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 1:30pm
Mike Sales wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 1:22pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 1:09pm
When I say drugs i mean the use of what we call ‘recreational drugs’ which are, it happens, illegal.
In common usage "drugs" plural means an illegal, or recreational, drug, and not necessarily more than one.
A drug, singular, may well mean a prescribed drug.
I disagree. "I'm on these drugs... " and similar would be common parlance in discussing prescribed or over the counter medications.

For example:
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=146695&p=1626120&h ... s#p1626120
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=147058&p=1626023&h ... s#p1626023

Jonathan

PS: As patients might have noticed in consultations it isn't easy for doctors to find out what you are taking, and often have to ask the question in several different ways... medicines, tablets, pills...
I said "common usage" which Is something I have often noticed.
When a doctor asks which drugs your are taking he is generally using the word as a plural, since that is often the case.
If she is wanting to find out which of several alternatives for a condition you have been prescibed she would use the singular.
When a policeman describes a suspect he might well say "he is on drugs" and not really mean the suspect has a multi-drug habit.
Although, to be fair, many users of illegal and recreational drugs are using a variety.
Another usage anomaly is that "recreational drugs" seldom includes tobacco, alcohol or tea and coffee.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes, the usage is all over the place. Context usually sorts it out... but often not in overall harm to health.

Jonathan
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Jdsk wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 1:33pm

Jonathan
David Nutt was sacked as a government advisor on drugs for saying that.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

We'll eventually look on back on this era wondering what on earth we thought we were trying to achieve. As with Prohibition.

Jonathan
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Oldjohnw wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 1:37pm Prisons are alcohol free, theoretically, and mainly tobacco free.
But prisoners are <0.2% of the population.
Risk Atlas.JPG
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

axel_knutt wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 2:59pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 1:37pm Prisons are alcohol free, theoretically, and mainly tobacco free.
But prisoners are <0.2% of the population.
Risk Atlas.JPG
I know . But as I said that is where I became familiar with the terminology.
John
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Oh well, since MickF's started this off, I'll contribute another. This one dates from the mid 1950s.
Primary School002r.jpg
Clue: I'm not the well-proportioned lady in the glasses and low-cut dress, in the middle of the third row (our dear old headmistress)...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

axel_knutt wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 12:04pm Braintree County High School.
It must have been spring 1971.
I notice how, in your pictures, the kids sitting in the front row are all boys. I wonder why? :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Wasn't considered so much of a problem back in my day..... and skirts were longer.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

661-Pete wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 4:23pm Oh well, since MickF's started this off, I'll contribute another. This one dates from the mid 1950s.
Primary School002r.jpg
Clue: I'm not the well-proportioned lady in the glasses and low-cut dress, in the middle of the third row (our dear old headmistress)...
Well, a guess obviously ............ mid 50s?
Therefore you are on the younger side, so not on the back row.
I reckon you're on the front row.

Paulatic knew who I was with mine, because he's met me ............ and I haven't changed a bit! :wink:
Photo taken on the Wimps LEJOG a year or so ago.
MickF (Small).JPG
Mick F. Cornwall
Syd

Which one is me?

Post by Syd »

I have absolutely no photos of me up to the age of around 38 except for one taken when I joined the NHS in 1992. So, sorry, I am unable to post a school photo.

When I left home at 17 I was given every last photo my parents ever had of me which number in the low teens. Having no interest to them myself I destroyed the lot.

The photos from my first marriage, aged 18, were all destroyed by me when we split 15 years later.

Only photos I have now are from the date of my second marriage and any sporting events I’ve taken part in or images Mrs Syd has candidly taken of me.

As to guessing who Mick is in the first photo? Who the hell cares? He doesn’t look like that now and it’s a long time ago.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Mick F wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 7:22pm Paulatic knew who I was with mine, because he's met me
Yes Mick, it was the eyes which gave me the certainty. Not bad for someone who had only met you once.
Many years ago I was cycling near Easingwold and saw some cattle in a field. I'd seen them sold through Carlisle auction mart about a month earlier. The farmer was in the field and confirmed he had bought them from a dealer who had indeed bought them out of Carlisle. I think he was suitably impressed. :shock:
Mick F wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 7:22pm and I haven't changed a bit!
:lol: I think you’ve aged a wee bit
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

As for photos of me then I’ve a similar tale to Syd.
My parents divorced when I was in my late teens. Family photo albums must have been disposed of during the animosity. Amongst my dad’s possessions when he died one picture of him as a young man, that’s all. Amongst my mother's on death nothing at all pre divorce except a picture of me aged around 7.
I also lost contact with my father’s side of the family for many years. During some dark days of lockdown, last winter, I got in touch with a cousin and filled in a number of blanks but many still remain.
I’ve no photographic evidence of me until my wedding day!
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Does anyone else have a 'panoramic' school photo?
The whole school (Willesden Technical College) lined up in front of the main entrance and it was taken with a camera that panned around.
I can still name most of my fellow students but forget people's names I met a couple of days ago :( .