Japanese Knotweed

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PDQ Mobile

Re: Japanese Knotweed

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Psamathe wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 3:51pm
PDQ Mobile wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 1:28pm ....
On (in/under) the opposite bank lives a Coypu.
I have observed him(?) eating the shoots of JK quite readily.
So there is a solution?
Import more Coypu!!!
When I lived in France I actually lived in a watermill and had a fair amount of surrounding land and being a watermill there were mill channels, bypass channels, main river, etc. and I had loads of ragondin (coypu). They are a pest, they destroy the river bank with their tunnels. Local hunt used to visit and set loads of traps (it was interesting learning about finding their paths) - they caught them, killed them and kept the tails in a freezer as the Gov. paid they for each tail (proof they had killed a pest). They carry disease and apart from the damage they are a general nuisance on more than one occasion I stepped over a gate and trod on one! Some run off when your dogs come out but a few stand their ground ...

Ian
I am well aware of their vermin status.
It was lighthearted.
They seem pretty tolerated here.
There are true Beavers here too.

My host ( local resident) was unaware Coypu nibble the JK.
One can see a line where they do it however.

Other control methods mentioned on here are just as totally useless for a problem of this scale.
Moral of story - kill it as soon as it appears.
Or should that be "they"?!
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

My neighbour is a landscape gardener and occasionally has to deal with JK, and he hits it hard with Glypho and darkness. [1]
He abrades the leaves by trampling and sprays with Glypho with a dash of fairy liquid (wetting agent), he also injects thicker stems with a hypodermic needle, and then he then covers it over with old carpets, he re-treats at 3 monthly intervals and it takes 2 years or so. [2]
He finally turns over the plot when he thinks it's gone and waits with baited breath with glypho, fairy and carpet on standby.

[1] He does this only for existing very good customers who inherit it with a new house, and only then if it isn't from neighbouring land - he won't touch it for anyone else at any price.
[2] He starts the process around march just as everything is getting going, and he reckons that even the December hit makes a difference.
pwa

Post by pwa »

wirral_cyclist wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 11:21pm My neighbour is a landscape gardener and occasionally has to deal with JK, and he hits it hard with Glypho and darkness. [1]
He abrades the leaves by trampling and sprays with Glypho with a dash of fairy liquid (wetting agent), he also injects thicker stems with a hypodermic needle, and then he then covers it over with old carpets, he re-treats at 3 monthly intervals and it takes 2 years or so. [2]
He finally turns over the plot when he thinks it's gone and waits with baited breath with glypho, fairy and carpet on standby.

[1] He does this only for existing very good customers who inherit it with a new house, and only then if it isn't from neighbouring land - he won't touch it for anyone else at any price.
[2] He starts the process around march just as everything is getting going, and he reckons that even the December hit makes a difference.
That's about it. The people who fail to kill it are the ones who expect to do it in one hit of weed killer.