Anyone for Gas?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Stevek76
Posts: 1141
Joined: 28 Jul 2015, 11:23am

Re: Anyone for Gas?

Post by Stevek76 »

ossie wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 6:48pm

Some sections of the M25 don't have a shoulder, as a matter of fact hard shoulders have been removed from many 'smart motorways' (M25 has sections of 'smart motorway ') something I disagree with and the subject of a safety campaign.


Where? I'm not aware of any parts of the M25 that presently have no hard shoulder other than, like many motorways, where it was widened (in this case from 3 to 4 lanes) the limitations of structures and a few tight cuttings result in brief stretches of no shoulder.

The M25 does have variable speed limits in the SW quadrant (it was actually the first UK motorway to do this) but no hard shoulder running in the manner of later 'smart' motorways. (though there are some proposals)

At any rate, emergency vehicles can still make better (and safer) progress than a regular driver can, so the PSA about not trying to run critically ill relatives, imagined or otherwise, to hospital oneself remains.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
francovendee
Posts: 2082
Joined: 5 May 2009, 6:32am

Re: Anyone for Gas?

Post by francovendee »

al_yrpal wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 9:12am
francovendee wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 8:22am The French and other nations realise the value of having shutters, not just to keep the sun out but to keep the heat in.
Ours were rotten and I had thought of just removing them until entering a neighbours home in August. His house was cool but ours wasn't. I've now got them on all the windows.
They won't work with 'English' style windows though as windows here open inwards not outwards.
Sashes slide, so no problem...

Al
Aren't most homes casement windows?
ossie
Posts: 1362
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 7:52pm

Re: Anyone for Gas?

Post by ossie »

Stevek76 wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 11:33am
ossie wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 6:48pm

Some sections of the M25 don't have a shoulder, as a matter of fact hard shoulders have been removed from many 'smart motorways' (M25 has sections of 'smart motorway ') something I disagree with and the subject of a safety campaign.


Where? I'm not aware of any parts of the M25 that presently have no hard shoulder other than, like many motorways, where it was widened (in this case from 3 to 4 lanes) the limitations of structures and a few tight cuttings result in brief stretches of no shoulder.
This is the M25 at Sevenoaks for example.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.28644 ... 384!8i8192

Between Junctions 23-25 in Hertfordshire

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.68464 ... 384!8i8192

Junctions 10-16 to lose its hard shoulder next year.

https://highwaysengland.co.uk/our-work/ ... 20capacity.

Its nuts if you ask me.
Last edited by ossie on 23 Sep 2021, 12:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 9725
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Think Cheddar and Cider
Contact:

Re: Anyone for Gas?

Post by al_yrpal »

francovendee wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 11:55am
al_yrpal wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 9:12am
francovendee wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 8:22am The French and other nations realise the value of having shutters, not just to keep the sun out but to keep the heat in.
Ours were rotten and I had thought of just removing them until entering a neighbours home in August. His house was cool but ours wasn't. I've now got them on all the windows.
They won't work with 'English' style windows though as windows here open inwards not outwards.
Sashes slide, so no problem...

Al
Aren't most homes casement windows?
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...
User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 9725
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Think Cheddar and Cider
Contact:

Re: Anyone for Gas?

Post by al_yrpal »

francovendee wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 11:55am
al_yrpal wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 9:12am
francovendee wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 8:22am The French and other nations realise the value of having shutters, not just to keep the sun out but to keep the heat in.
Ours were rotten and I had thought of just removing them until entering a neighbours home in August. His house was cool but ours wasn't. I've now got them on all the windows.
They won't work with 'English' style windows though as windows here open inwards not outwards.
Sashes slide, so no problem...

Al
Aren't most homes casement windows?
Correct, never had sashes before. They are wonderful for creating ventilation

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...
thirdcrank
Posts: 32887
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: Anyone for Gas?

Post by thirdcrank »

The problems with those older types of window sometimes originate with inept painting, particularly painting the sash cords. We used to live in a stone Victorian terrace and most of the windows were were clogged with paint and it took a lot of clearing.

While proper shutters are less common in this country - more a stately home thing - too much paint can be the first step in their demise. I'm talking about substantial wooden shutters built into the interior reveal of the windows, which open to cover the inside of the windows entirely and are then fastened in place with a long flat bar.
rjb
Posts: 4744
Joined: 11 Jan 2007, 10:25am
Location: Somerset (originally 60/70's Plymouth)

Re: Anyone for Gas?

Post by rjb »

Here's an idea. Someone has probably done this. Cut a piece of insulation board to fit snugly in the window recess.
Saves on curtains too so win win. Disguise it with a picture stuck on which you can hang on your wall during the day. :wink:
You just need to convince SWMBO. :o
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D
User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 9725
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Think Cheddar and Cider
Contact:

Re: Anyone for Gas?

Post by al_yrpal »

thirdcrank wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 2:01pm The problems with those older types of window sometimes originate with inept painting, particularly painting the sash cords. We used to live in a stone Victorian terrace and most of the windows were were clogged with paint and it took a lot of clearing.

While proper shutters are less common in this country - more a stately home thing - too much paint can be the first step in their demise. I'm talking about substantial wooden shutters built into the interior reveal of the windows, which open to cover the inside of the windows entirely and are then fastened in place with a long flat bar.
Had shutters like that in my last house. That and thick curtains made the evening bell ringing practice bearable
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...
reohn2
Posts: 41215
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Anyone for Gas?

Post by reohn2 »

Been offline for a few days so just catching up.
al_yrpal wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 2:10pm Now complaints about shutting pits! You couldnt make it up!

Al
Al
You're the worst culprit of making things up about the EU and China with regard to climate change whe it suits you.

The point Pete was making and I was reinforcing was that claims by the Tories and Boris Johnson that closing the pits was environmentally driven is bunkum and well you know it,if you don't you suffer from the worst kind of blindness,which is them that don't want to see won't.
You have the real reason for pit closures in my previous post.

The sad fact of the matter is that we(the people of planet earth)are in a bit of a bind,and the root cause is neolibralist unfettered capitalism which is built on the pipe dream of everlasting growth based on evermore profit where the rich get richer and the poor are forgotten.
The words,chickens,home and roost,spring readily to mind,but to use another metaphor,the cat's out of the bag,we're now looking at the fact that growth is finite,in fact economic regression is moepre likely.
Call me a pessimist if you like(I'd prefer realist)but the world is in serious brown doo dah and the present crises are only the beginning of it,most of the big players(read rich capitalists)are like Nero fiddling as the empires burn but they'll be alright Jack if only temporarily.

As I've posted many times before we are a clever species though wisdom isn't our strong point we as a species need to learn wisdom PDQ.
-----------------------------------------------------------
reohn2
Posts: 41215
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Anyone for Gas?

Post by reohn2 »

661-Pete wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 11:51am I was wondering whether Insulate Britain (IB) was an offshoot of Extinction Rebellion (XR): I'd never heard of IB until the recent news stories came up - but I had a quick look at their website. Doesn't tell me much, and there's no evidence to say whether they're connected or not. Protest movements always tend to develop a militant fringe though - rather unfortunate but it happens......
A bit like the present government then,only thing is they're militant extreme capitalists pocket fillers backed by multinationals, oligarchs,and media barons.
Of course because they're all legal an' everyfink that's OK then innit?
-----------------------------------------------------------
reohn2
Posts: 41215
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Anyone for Gas?

Post by reohn2 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 12:30pm Hi,
pete75 wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 11:08am
al_yrpal wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 11:05am That was then, this is now.....https://www.carbonbrief.org/mapped-worl ... wer-plants

80 countries have them and others are getting them.

We have closed coal fired stations wholesale because we realised they are a problem. 9

Al
We closed coal fired power stations because the bloody Tories shut all the pits.
But they were going to close anyway weren't they, not working them means they closed quicker, strikes.
How do you think voting public would manage today with electricity blackouts due to coal strikes?
That totally misses the point Pete was making,which is that the Tories now claim they shut the pits for environmental reason,THEY DIDN'T,they shut them to break the unions!
-----------------------------------------------------------
thirdcrank
Posts: 32887
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: Anyone for Gas?

Post by thirdcrank »

Meanwhile, back at the gasometer,
He says that while the government had been talking of state-backed loans for larger energy firms, that idea is now "very much on the back burner" and its intention is to "tough this one out".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58668594

You couldn't make it up.

Thinks: Why are gasholders called gasometers?
BagOSpanners
Posts: 19
Joined: 23 Jun 2016, 7:06pm

Re: Anyone for Gas?

Post by BagOSpanners »

thirdcrank wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 3:50pm Meanwhile, back at the gasometer,
He says that while the government had been talking of state-backed loans for larger energy firms, that idea is now "very much on the back burner" and its intention is to "tough this one out".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58668594

You couldn't make it up.

Thinks: Why are gasholders called gasometers?
Historically they moved up and down as you filled them and had a scale on the side to tell you how full they were.
Jdsk
Posts: 11162
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: Anyone for Gas?

Post by Jdsk »

BagOSpanners wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 4:38pm
thirdcrank wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 3:50pmThinks: Why are gasholders called gasometers?
Historically they moved up and down as you filled them and had a scale on the side to tell you how full they were.
Their name is derived from that of Lavoisier's gazomètre, which was a measuring device.

Jonathan

Image
Psamathe
Posts: 13557
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Anyone for Gas?

Post by Psamathe »

It has now emerged that the Government (Ministers) were warned by OFGEN about our current crisis 18 months ago (energy firms going bust all over the place, other suppliers not wanting to take on the stranded customers as they'd make big losses on them)
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/energy-companies-bust-labour-letter-b1925601.html wrote:Government was warned energy firms could collapse 18 months ago, Ofgem letter reveals
The government was warned 18 months ago that some of the UK’s struggling energy companies faced possible collapse, a newly-released letter has revealed.

Regulator Ofgem wrote to business secretary Kwasi Kwarteng last March to warn him of the “systemic risk” faced by energy suppliers, urging the government to consider action to help stabilise the market.

Shared by Labour on Thursday, the Ofgem letter warned that many firms had only “thin cash reserves” – telling the minister that any shocks could mean “significant numbers of suppliers who have otherwise good business models may fail”.
And it appears they did nothing to prepare!

Ian
Post Reply