Cans or bottles?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
philvantwo

Re: Cans or bottles?

Post by philvantwo »

£0.02p each?
:|
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks guys.
Interesting answers, and it's as I thought, cans are cheaper to recycle than bottles.

The whole manufacture of stuff from raw materials is a different subject maybe.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

philvantwo wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 6:34pm ........... but they keep the clear, brown and green separate at our recycling place.
Not all glass recycling skips. Some - like the one I used a couple of days ago, aren't marked. Just holes.
I have heard that the separated holes for different colours are all tipped into the same skip at the yard.
Also, if you ever have a bottle of Harvey's Bristol sherry, the bottles are blue. Which hole do they go in?

Bombay Sapphire gin bottles are clear, but with a blue plastic coating, but Harvey's use blue glass.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 9:46am
philvantwo wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 6:34pm ........... but they keep the clear, brown and green separate at our recycling place.
Not all glass recycling skips. Some - like the one I used a couple of days ago, aren't marked. Just holes.
I have heard that the separated holes for different colours are all tipped into the same skip at the yard.
Also, if you ever have a bottle of Harvey's Bristol sherry, the bottles are blue. Which hole do they go in?
There's a fair bit of variation but I don't think that it's common to mix different colours if they are already separated.

Blue bottle glass should go with green unless otherwise instructed.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

When we first got bottle banks in Leeds they tried the different-coloured receptacles. I remember going to the nearest one in Gildersome with the YAK BoB fully laden and a nosey-parker of a BOF (probably younger than I am now) emerged from the old fogeys' shelter and firmly instructed me what went where. His efforts cannot have succeeded because they moved that bottle bank and put stickers on all the receptacles saying they were for any colour. I read somewhere that this multi-coloured cullet is now used in road making. (Probably to ensure maximum puncturing to ensure cyclists use farcilities.)

NB If it's not obvious, I made up the bit in brackets.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 10:02amI read somewhere that this multi-coloured cullet is now used in road making.
Yes, many uses in construction:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_rec ... nstruction

Jonathan
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

thirdcrank wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 7:31pm Probably a sign of the times: the bottled milk from our milkman comes in the traditional glass pint bottles, with labels from dairies across the country. It's common that they have a plea on the back to leave the bottle out for collection, rather than recycling with other glass.
I think it's fairly obvious that reuse beats recycling... the aluminium bottle top gets recycled (and we have a pair of silicone bottle tops which get alternated and washed) the bottle gets washed out and collected - it is then presumably washed by an industrial dishwasher before being refilled and a small aluminium cap being applied, then the bottle is left on my doorstep again (probably not the same one very often mind).

But recycling aluminium is surprisingly effective, partly because manufacturing it is quite expensive, so there has long been a motivation to reuse as much as possible.
I don't actually know what vehicle our milk delivery uses, though I do know that I can often get the milk in before I go to bed rather than in the morning.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Here's the bottle we received today, with two requests to return it.
WIN_20211125_11_17_23_Pro.jpg
We've had some with a picture of a wheelie bin crossed out to emphasis the point.

I don't know about the economics of doorstep delivery in a pick-up van. Our milkman only delivers to one other house in our street. It's not cheap when compared with buying it in 4 pint containers from a supermarket, but Mrs thirdcrank thinks we should stay loyal.

Once upon a time milkmen - as they usually were - wouldn't take back competitors' bottles but we receive (and return) all sorts.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Psamathe wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 9:59pm Another aspect might be the weight being lugged around the country in big lorries chucking out loads of pollution. I've not seen data so might be completely wrong but I avoid buying bottled beer from supermarket due to volume and weight being trucked around (cans are lighter, beer same weight).
Ian
Also, if you shop for your beer by bike, cans are lighter to carry (and less likely to break!)
Chris F, Cornwall