Heat in the home

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

My central heating is set for what range?

I don't have central heating
13%
below 18
36%
18-20
39%
21-22
3%
23-25
3%
25-plus
5%

Total votes: 61

Paulatic

Re: Heat in the home

Post by Paulatic »

Norman H wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 9:35am
Paulatic wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 8:42am
Whilst the entire vent brick was exposed when building control signed off my house in 1998 in practice I have 7/8th of it now covered over and no experience of lack of draught for burning. I fitted a 4” flue obviously larger flues will require more draught.
Do you have a carbon monoxide detector?

Your wood burner may well be drawing some air from elsewhere in the house. I would recommend a CO detector as a sensible precaution.
Yes of course I have detectors and all interlinked. :D ( it’s soon to be law here in Scotland and as usual I’m ahead of the game :wink: )
Yes if you completely block the vent you can quickly detect a draught on your feet as it pulls air through the bottom of a door which goes through to a bedroom and bathroom. I would think it draws that air through the bathroom vent.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Paulatic wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 12:54pm
Norman H wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 9:35am
Paulatic wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 8:42am
Whilst the entire vent brick was exposed when building control signed off my house in 1998 in practice I have 7/8th of it now covered over and no experience of lack of draught for burning. I fitted a 4” flue obviously larger flues will require more draught.
Do you have a carbon monoxide detector?

Your wood burner may well be drawing some air from elsewhere in the house. I would recommend a CO detector as a sensible precaution.
Yes of course I have detectors and all interlinked. :D ( it’s soon to be law here in Scotland and as usual I’m ahead of the game :wink: )
Yes if you completely block the vent you can quickly detect a draught on your feet as it pulls air through the bottom of a door which goes through to a bedroom and bathroom. I would think it draws that air through the bathroom vent.
Good to hear, stay safe. :)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

IMG20210908110908.jpg
Just bought a cubic metre of Ash, £150 delivered. A cubic metre is less than a cubic metre stacked. My new log store holds about 2 cubic metres stacked.
Our stove also burns solid fuel so we are trying Aldi smokeless nuts. £3.99 for 10kg. It burns slowly and less fiercely than wood. With the nuts its easy to keep the stove going ar very low level all night.
70 Euros for a cubic metre is a steal.
Theres nothing like a woodburner or an AGA. Not looking forward to when these devices get phased out.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
rjb

Post by rjb »

Mick F wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 10:35am Sitting down with a cuppa.
The pile is near as dammit 90cm wide and 60cm high.
This'll last us easily a week, unless we enter another few days of cold weather when we'll burn more of course.
Swmbo wouldnt be happy , you never know what's going to crawl out of the woodwork. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

al_yrpal wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 1:31pm IMG20210908110908.jpgJust bought a cubic metre of Ash, £150 delivered. A cubic metre is less than a cubic metre stacked. My new log store holds about 2 cubic metres stacked.
Our stove also burns solid fuel so we are trying Aldi smokeless nuts. £3.99 for 10kg. It burns slowly and less fiercely than wood. With the nuts its easy to keep the stove going ar very low level all night.
Theres nothing like a woodburner or an AGA. Not looking forward to when these devices get phased out.

Al
A cubic metre is a cubic metre.
Surely?
If you have a convenient store which will measure it then you can see if you were "diddled".
It should be stacked tight.

The French know about, and are professionals at wood burning -they expect a cubic metre to be just that.
Though I am sure sharp practice also exists- flogging wood to townies perhaps?

Wood, in France, is a very important and sustainable, low carbon energy source in many rural areas.

Don't worry your devices are here to stay.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

rjb wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 1:42pm
This'll last us easily a week, unless we enter another few days of cold weather when we'll burn more of course.
Swmbo wouldnt be happy , you never know what's going to crawl out of the woodwork. :lol:
Indeed.
I was once bitten by a spider while unstacking and moving wood in continental Europe.
I saw the beast it was only quite small.
Swelled from wrist to elbow.
So yes, beware.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

rjb wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 1:42pm
:lol: :lol:
Dead birch, cut up into 11" lengths maybe 9" to 1ft diameter, split in the electric/hydraulic log spitter, and the wood-lice and other little beasties were running for cover. No doubt there's a few left in the wood on the hearth, but they'll end up in the fire if they are.

The other tree that came down near the birch is a willow. Hardly worth the chainsaw petrol and my time as willow burns too fast.
The stump is hollowed and the bottom of the fallen tree also. It's all full of little beasties and they can stay there!
IMG_0901 2.jpg

This is the willow, with the birch behind before I started cutting it up. Both dead as door-nails.

IMG_0900.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 1:48pm
al_yrpal wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 1:31pm IMG20210908110908.jpgJust bought a cubic metre of Ash, £150 delivered. A cubic metre is less than a cubic metre stacked. My new log store holds about 2 cubic metres stacked.

Al
Surely?
If you have a convenient store which will measure it then you can see if you were "diddled".

The French know about, and are professionals at wood burning -they expect a cubic metre to be just that.

Wood, in France, is a very important and sustainable, low carbon energy source in many rural areas.

They get paid for burning it ?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Stracked vs loose logs...big difference!

https://www.ecofuel.ie/pages/loose-vs-s ... 0averagely.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Pebble wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 2:16pm
PDQ Mobile wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 1:48pm

Al
Surely?

They get paid for burning it ?
They get paid for processing and delivering it.
And as you see from Franco's post it compares economically quite favourably.
So professional in terms of efficiency.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I understand that people round here who buy logs, buy them by weight or "load" but never by volume.
Mick F. Cornwall
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Mick F wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 2:30pm I understand that people round here who buy logs, buy them by weight or "load" but never by volume.
Yep.
There's one born every minute.

My local quarry even sells sand by weight!!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

https://www.gwct.org.uk/wildlife/advice/woodland/the-importance-of-dead-wood/ wrote:Research shows that 40% of the forest ecosystem is dependent on dead wood. Dead or rotting trees provide homes for a huge range of organisms.
etc., etc., etc., etc.

Whilst
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/oct/09/eco-wood-stoves-emit-pollution-hgv-ecodesign wrote:‘Eco’ wood stoves emit 750 times more pollution than an HGV, study shows
New wood burning stoves billed as more environmentally friendly still emit 750 times more tiny particle pollution than a modern HGV truck, a report has shown.
The report used data on the emissions produced by stoves in perfect laboratory conditions and the pollution could be even higher in everyday use, the researchers said, with older stoves being much worse.
Ian
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Our chimney is very high, about 40 foot I believe, and we are on top of a hill, thus pretty good dispersion of smoke. But I notice the 'smokeless' nuts do actually produce smoke, and you can always smell logs being burnt. Woodburner pollution is a serious problem in cities. Its alleged that Islington is blanketted on Sunday evenings by returnees from their Cotswold bolt holes. :lol:

Just about to fire up our stove.. :wink:

Al
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 2:35pm
Mick F wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 2:30pm I understand that people round here who buy logs, buy them by weight or "load" but never by volume.
Yep.
There's one born every minute.

My local quarry even sells sand by weight!!
That's not the point.

When people buy wood round here, it's described by the wood - soft or hard ........ never hear of soft .............. and described by the price.
People buy a ton, or a tractor load, or a part-load.
Chat to our local farmer down the road from here, and you either get a good deal, or you won't use him again. If you don't use him again, he wouldn't have a log business.

So many damned trees round here, the farmer can't cut them down enough ............ and neither can I and we only a have a couple of acres of woodland.
The farmer has hundreds of acres, and people ask him to cut down their damned trees as well.
Mick F. Cornwall