GB v Johnny Foreigner

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
tyreon

Re: GB v Johnny Foreigner

Post by tyreon »

Mmmm...The short survey here confirms my own prejudices: some friends have found the Dyson plastic-y and subject to breaking. They look vulnerable and a bit Woolworth's tech! I didn't know Henry was GB;thought it French for some reason. Our Henry has been fine.
I have a Dualit toaster(made by Mike?). I think it's made by one man or woman,named enclosed. Expensive,but nice job, and spare parts can be accessed.

German touring motorcycles get good write-ups,but British brands like Norton and Triumph seem to be coming back and carry cachet.
We carry some good clothing manufacturing,too: John Smedley,Sunspel,Harris Tweed,Barbour.

Made in England: Sometime back it meant 'old','tatt' even. Now,I think it's making a resurgence. Good stuff!
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Carradice :mrgreen:

The end.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Ah but Carradice is made in Lancashire and thus actually better than anything made elsewhere! :wink:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

bovlomov wrote:Henry is made in the UK, is durable (have one that's over 25 years old), easy to repair (not that anything is likely to break) and has a friendly face. It doesn't have to be used with a bag, by the way.
Maybe there are different versions, but ours definitely needs a bag. Probably a better bet if there's anyone with asthma in the household. The bags are not expensive, anyway. Not sure if they're 'bio'....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Milliput. Made in Dolgellau.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Had 2 Dyson, both stopped working very difficult to repair so never again. We now have a Henry,so far still working after 2 years.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

We also had 2 Dysons both had plastic bit break and weren't worth repairing. We love our 15yo Meile. The OH uses a Henry in the shop where she works and loves it too. Takes a lot of abuse as well.
I have some old Bosch power tools but I don't think the newer ones are as robust. I bought a Black and Decker drill in 1995 when I began building our house. A guy in B&Q advised it at the time, he said because I was going to give it so much work when it broke I could bring it back and get a new one. It's still going strong but doesn't get much work now since I got a Dewalt battery drill.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

'Enry 'ere. Proper top vacuum. And you can get re-useable bags on Amazon, made of a kinda heavy tyvek stuff. Never liked Dyson stuff, too bitty, fussy and brittle. See some on the boats, but more often 'Enrys. The Dysons always have bits missing and the cable return springs never keep enough tension. Don't think the super sucky vortex nonsense is too real either- more magic dust (bustin').

Best Vac though, that I've used, is a Nilfisk Bacuum- Ghostbusters ahoy!

http://cms.gtp-icommerce.com.au/clients ... 199500.jpg

Didn't Dyson invent the ballbarrow, or whatever it's called? His best if so.

As for German vs UK engineering... So very subjective. Trabant vs Allegro, hmmm. Rohloff vs Sturmey. Mini (or Mog?) vs Beetle. Hunter vs Bavaria. SIemens vs hmmm, how many businesses?
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

mrjemm wrote: SIemens vs hmmm, how many businesses?

Siemens vs Binatone
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

bovlomov wrote:

Siemens vs Binatone

Amstrad?
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

I have bundgy cords and tape holding my Dyson together. As long as it keeps sucking i will keep using it, but i wouldn't buy another one :evil:
I was always told not to buy anything made in the UK as it would fall to bits (70s-80s) now nothing of any importance is made here.

I vote Germany wins :)
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
Lawrie9

Post by Lawrie9 »

You seem to see loads of Dysons on the carboot sales but the best ones were the old ones such as the Electrolux 550 or 502 series and the Hoover Juniors which were light weight, energy efficient, easy to service, attractive and beatifully designed objects and cheap to buy
No jam doughnuts stored here overnight
beardy

Post by beardy »

Bicycler wrote:There's a whole lot of guff spouted about "German engineering" as if anything produced in the country ought to be better than something produced elsewhere, particularly anything of Asian manufacture. All too often it amounts to nothing more than simple racial prejudice.

No, its anger and annoyance at the low quality junk that we are being sold.
As it happens many companies choose to make their better quality equipment in the more established manufacturing countries eg USA, Germany, UK, Japan and their cheaper, lower quality goods in less established countries eg. Brazil, Romania or China.

I am not convinced that country of manufacture is to blame, it may be that the movement of manufacturing coincided with a trend to reduce quality and price of the goods on sale because consumers became less concerned about quality and more about gimmickry and price.
Regardless of the reason, "Made in China" is enough to make me look elsewhere (often in vain as everything within affordable limits is made in China now).

When buying Shimano stuff, I am happy enough to find "Made in Malaysia" as that seems to be of a satisfactory quality/price level.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I can still remember the vacuum cleaner that we had when I was a kid, an Electrolux, it looked like this I think:
except that ours was a drab grey in colour. Needless to say, it lasted for years, was totally unbreakable, we still had it when I was in my teens. My mother used sometimes to ask me to help with the hoovering, and I soon discovered that it had a 'blowing' end as well as a 'sucking' end. Handy for 'levitating' ping-pong balls! Anyone else remember doing that?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

mrjemm wrote:
bovlomov wrote:

Siemens vs Binatone

Amstrad?

Lloytron?

How about Hugo Boss: Outfitters to the Third Reich vs Mr Byrite: Outfitters to the Royal Family?