The stand-offs continue...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

https://uk.screen.yahoo.com/road-rage/b ... 00296.html

What is it with people today? Such arrogance that they'd rather waste an hour of their and other peoples time, rather than back down (whether right or wrong) and allow everyone to get on with their day. The bus driver should be given a formal warning by his employers in this case, as he is providing a service that people have paid money for and holding customers and members of the public up unnecessarily.
kwackers

Re: The stand-offs continue...

Post by kwackers »

Get a bike past that easy.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I see the Daily Mail got straight to the nub of the problem: tattoos and ginger hair. :lol:
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

The obvious solution is not to allow a narrow street to be used as a car park.

Then these drivers could have passed each other quite easily.
Penfold
Location: Black Country in the heart of England (Gods country)

Post by Penfold »

Who gives a cuss?
:shock:
I keep my ideals, because in spite of everything,
I still believe that people are really good at heart.
- Anne Frank

There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is England.
- Winston Churchill
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Sounds like a replay of that 'tunnel' thread we just had - I couldn't quite figure out how this started, it seems to one of those pinch-points deliberately inserted into a less busy road as a traffic calming measure (does it?). In which case one of the motorists will have had the
sign facing them, and should give way.... or back off.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Pyranha

Post by Pyranha »

Part of the issue in the bus stand-off is the quote from First that drivers should not reverse. That makes a lot of sense when you think about the visibility behind a bus - as far as I am aware (I work for a bus company, but not in operations) all bus movements in depots are done by shunters rather than by the 'drivers'. I suppose reversing might have been possible in the days of conductors, since he/she could have acted as a banksman.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Well, I would certainly reverse if I came, in my car, face-to-face with a bus or HGV - even if it was my 'right' of way. In the immortal words of Mr Prosser, slightly amended:
Douglas Adams wrote:MR PROSSER: Have you any idea how much damage that bulldozer[/bus/lorry] would suffer if I just let it roll straight over you?
ARTHUR DENT: How much?
MR PROSSER: None at all.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

We'll see who rusts first...

Most busses around here have rear view cameras...
But yes, I'd agree in general.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

A bus with passengers cannot reverse more than a very few yards without assistance from an observer. This is relevant on our single track roads and if you overshoot a passing place with a bus approaching then there is no option but to reverse as the bus cannot legally back up any relevant distance.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I have a horrible feeling I would have done the same as the driver. I personally need to learn more self control. My particular button is anything I perceive to be bullying behaviour. Red mist descends.

I feel sorry for the driver who has to deal with bad behaviour from the public all the time. I live and work in the area and Bath isn't the pretty little city we all think. It is quite rough in parts and the town centre is a nightmare at night.

I believe First Buses has fired him, but as an agency driver I hope he gets some leniency thrown his way and keeps his job. Work isn't easy to find down here in the South West.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

ambodach wrote:A bus with passengers cannot reverse more than a very few yards without assistance from an observer. This is relevant on our single track roads and if you overshoot a passing place with a bus approaching then there is no option but to reverse as the bus cannot legally back up any relevant distance.

If it has passengers then no problem finding an observer is there? In any case truck drivers, even in large artics, are brilliant at reversing into even the seemingly tightest of spaces and all done purely on the mirrors. You'd have thought bus drivers have to pass at least as stringent a test as lorry drivers.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

pete75 wrote:
ambodach wrote:A bus with passengers cannot reverse more than a very few yards without assistance from an observer. This is relevant on our single track roads and if you overshoot a passing place with a bus approaching then there is no option but to reverse as the bus cannot legally back up any relevant distance.

If it has passengers then no problem finding an observer is there? In any case truck drivers, even in large artics, are brilliant at reversing into even the seemingly tightest of spaces and all done purely on the mirrors. You'd have thought bus drivers have to pass at least as stringent a test as lorry drivers.

I'm not sure I would trust a random bus passenger with my job, which is potentially what a bus driver is doing if he reverses the bus on a public road, in violation of his company's policy.

Even if th eperson in the car had priority, it was a silly thing to do.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Vorpal wrote:
pete75 wrote:

I'm not sure I would trust a random bus passenger with my job, which is potentially what a bus driver is doing if he reverses the bus on a public road, in violation of his company's policy.

Even if th eperson in the car had priority, it was a silly thing to do.

It seems that driver shouldn't have trusted himself with his job. It was because his foul mouthed rant was in front of a bus full of passengers that he was,quite rightly, sacked. Regardless of the rights or wrongs of the driving situation effing and blinding in front of paying customers is not on for a bus driver.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Perhaps this would be a good solutuon?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_Scout

Fitted with pedals of course..

Al :)
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......