If you don't like dogs you shouldn't walk on the beach

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Stradageek

If you don't like dogs you shouldn't walk on the beach

Post by Stradageek »

This was the parting shot from a dog walker who took exception to my objecting to her dogs leaping all over me with wet sandy feet

It was a glorious walk along miles of golden sands at Gwithian before this little incident took the shine off it a little

The thought occurs that maybe I should just welcome all marauding dogs with open arms to help preserve the peace?

Would you?
Paulatic

Re: If you don't like dogs you shouldn't walk on the beach

Post by Paulatic »

No
But my knee would be in position ready for some training.
As for people who greet dogs with excited voices and encourage them to jump up. Can I shoot them? This is why dogs are confused.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
beardy

Post by beardy »

They are not allowed there for the best six months of the year. Unfortunately for you, you were six days too late.

http://www.cornwall-beaches.co.uk/north ... ithian.htm

Her comments were probably fuelled by having been excluded for the six months and taking the "dog friendly" tag that the beach has, off season, to mean something more than dogs are not banned for that period.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Paulatic wrote:No

Unfortunately that was my reflex reaction (I didn't see them coming) and hence the 'conversation' started with "don't kick my dog"

I replied with "you should keep your dogs under control" and the riposte to this was the title of the thread
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Stradageek wrote:
Paulatic wrote:No

Unfortunately that was my reflex reaction (I didn't see them coming) and hence the 'conversation' started with "don't kick my dog"

I replied with "you should keep your dogs under control" and the riposte to this was the title of the thread

Double dog owner for twenty two years.

Many a death threat / punch up directed at me when I say to a marauding dog owner "Keep it on a lead or under control" or their dog bites mine unprovoked :x

Be quick and raise your knee at the dogs chest.............it wont return.
Very easy to teach a dog not to do that but owners probably have wayward offspring too..............

Just say keep your dog on a lead and I don't want to see you here again...............works for me :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

As a dog owner this makes me angry. I want to be embarrassed or even apologetic on their behalf. But why should I? I put years of training and re-training into my dogs so I can take them out and not have to stress, but enjoy the time out.

Trouble is, regardless of whether I'm walking, biking, dog walking, doing the school run, you name it there are idiots like this. I've posted recently about a client's dog. In the early summer I did kick a pointer that jumped me in a pet shop. That was my natural instinct reacting. You should have heard the verbal abuse I got from the owner. She had no idea that what her dog did was totally unacceptable. Twit...b
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Very astute, Natural Ankling, there was indeed a recalcitrant child in tow.

And thanks Heltor, my wife tells me she encounters the very best and worst of dog owners every day on her ride through the Northampton parks to work. Her favourite is a dog that has been trained to sit frozen whenever a cyclist approaches awaiting a command from the owner.

I'm still unsure that a knee in the dogs chest is best - given the reaction - my wife tells me that she got an unexpected apology from a typically uncaring owner by reflexively yelling "Oh no, these trousers were clean on today!"

Cheers guys

Stradageek
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I can't get over the hate so many cyclists have of dogs.

This is yet another anti-ddog thread ... and all the dog did was to jump-up.. Good grief, with cyclists being crushed by tipper trucks, with so many things that are wrong so many things to discuss, it seems a recurring theme to start yet another "dog jumped-up ith me today".

It happens. Dogs running around off-lead will be excited and may not be 100% as you would like them to be. Dogs do not spend their entire lived walking to heel with their owners.

What really astounds me is that people think such things so important that we need what seems like a never ending threads about it. Last one (ended only recently) has somebody complaining about a dog they were busy winding up (and they provided the video showing this).

It worries me this thing with cyclists. Maybe we should expect that the whole world will do do exactly what we want the whole time. So maybe we need to get a sense of proportion when raising gripes !!

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Like some cyclists,and some motorists,and some <insert your preferred category here>,some dog owners are idiots.
It seems to be a UK disease,that no one else matters but them.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

What really annoys me as a life long dog owner and dog worker is a dog owner that says,
"All the dog did was jump up"
They shouldn't and they shouldn't be encouraged to. I believe it's not acceptable behaviour.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Paulatic wrote:What really annoys me as a life long dog owner and dog worker is a dog owner that says,
They shouldn't and they shouldn't be encouraged to. I believe it's not acceptable behaviour.

When my dog was a puppy I taught her 100% not to jump up and she learnt. Except that everybody else wanted to say hello and make a fuss of her but did not want to bend down so encouraged her to jump-up. and she learnt to jump-up as that is what everybody she met wanted. she would not jump up with me but everybody else taught her to jump up with everybody else. And it has never ever caused a problem.

Most people accept dogs are part of our society and accept that they will not always behave 100% as 100% of people want 100% of the time. It's call life.

Ian
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
You cant win.
I have had death threats from one owner after their partner threatened me with them. (the dog owner made threats that their partner would sort me out), well the partner tried and all they could do was spit in my face with a rant, I did not react as they did not touch me, and I never have till they do, and I do and will.
The owner allowed their dog to repeatedly bite my dog unprovoked.

Another dog walker repeatedly allowed their dog on a public UCR lane whatever (public space, all traffic) to chase me on my bike and I end up stopping fearing the dog would get in front and bring me off , at least three times, different days.
I asked them all times to keep dog under control, which they obviously cant.

Then last time them and three others ganged up on me and one gent threatened me but only ranted again.
Funny that one of the others also hit me whilst on my bike on a road (earlier date) with their car on my handlebars, they were attempting a sharp bend and drove on wrong side of road straight at me whilst making an illegal hand jesture across their chest that they were turning left and that all right to do that with no care or warning to others.......me.
I was lucky that day did not receive injury, as driving on wrong side of road and making hand signals some how justifys the action.

I now carry a video camera and will try to curb my frustration, and use it, normally I have found when someone is up to no good and I have pulled my camera, they run quick.

But I cant offer advise safely as even I am flabagasted at what people say and do, hard work just enjoying a walk with your pet.

Mine are best there are and I can say that with confidence as we are constantly commented apon how well behaved they are, got to admit they take after me and are mostly so aloof, in a nice way too, even if I am not :) all were as we have them no more.....................cant even talk about that.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Paulatic wrote:What really annoys me as a life long dog owner and dog worker is a dog owner that says,

I totally agree,if you can't keep your dog under control in public,either by command or short lead don't take it out in public.
They can cause mayhem!
Why is it that some dog owners think that everyone likes dogs?
I just don't get it.
I grew up with dogs in the household,but they were treated as dogs,and not as replacement children,which seems to be the problem with the undisciplined mutts I come across all too frequently.
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
We don't hate dogs I love them.

But I have been challenged by some, not good as I was not afraid but I can think of many who would be.

Head butted in my shin by many.

Brought to the ground by one.

And have constantly had to wipe my legs and clothes.

I am no weakling but children and old people are.

If a lab can floor me there is a problem............unfixable yes maybe.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote:Most people accept dogs are part of our society and accept that they will not always behave 100% as 100% of people want 100% of the time. It's call life.

Ian

Whilst I agree,that's not what's being discussed,it's the dog owners who's filthy pawed dogs jumps up and the owner couldn't care less or offers an apology.
The owner who the OP encountered actually though he shouldn't be on the beach!
Dogs can cause mayhem if not disciplined,and there are a lot that aren't!
W H Auden