Julian Mustoe - recreating the voyage of the Beagle

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

Julian Mustoe - recreating the voyage of the Beagle

Post by simonineaston »

Talking of ebooks (which we were, in another thread...) I've just read a current news item on the BBC, about this gent, aged 82 :shock: whose 25 foot boat is "adrift" - whatever that exactly means as a far as a sailing boat is concerned... in the North Sea and by a series of links, ended up looking at the book he recently published about his recreation of the voyage of the Beagle - at £3.99 for the ebook I dove straight in! Fair play to the bloke - I hope I'm a tenth as active and adventurous when I get to his age!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Voyage-Harrier- ... B00VRRS9W6

I thought it might appeal to you adventurous wheely-type readers.
Last edited by simonineaston on 7 Oct 2015, 1:32pm, edited 1 time in total.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mrjemm

Re: Julian Mustoe - recreating the voyage of the Beagle

Post by mrjemm »

I haven't read his book, but knew of him from his boat being a heavily modified Folksong- a class I had for a while, albeit in wreck ('project') form. :oops:

Not sure about his weather, but there's been some strong winds about, so perhaps his rig was damaged- junk conversion if I am not mistaken. Middle of the North Sea, bearing down on a platform in a 25'er (though one that feels much smaller- very little freeboard in a standard version) is not a situation I would like to be in. Bad enough out there on offshore construction vessels in nasty weather! And if he hits that jacket, I know which'll come off worse, though some of those structures are so rusty I wouldn't put too big a wager down that the jacket won't be damaged too.

Hmmm, looking at the pics on there, and his website, maybe he's got a different boat now- doesn't look like the Follksong any more.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Any relation to Anne Mustoe the cycle tourist? I still recoil when I remember her affectionate writings on Syria given what is unfolding there now. Thanks for posting this link Simon.
Last edited by geocycle on 7 Oct 2015, 3:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

Nothing more I like than a 'survivor' book,or a 'battler'( a guy/girl battling against the odds)Always loved a good book about 'the slammer': Attica Prison Revolt;Jimmy Boyle,John McVicar.

The Survival of Jan Little stands out.

'They don't make 'em like they did back when'
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

The dedication in the book is "In memory of my stepmother Anne, a wise woman and intrepid traveller".

Thanks for the heads-up - I've just bought it for my Kindle. :)
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

Read 'A voyage for Madmen' by Peter Nicholls: 5* RTW single handed. Don't think many of the participants had sailed before.

Won our small circle's Book Club Best Book award
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

tyreon wrote:Read 'A voyage for Madmen' by Peter Nicholls: 5* RTW single handed. Don't think many of the participants had sailed before.

Won our small circle's Book Club Best Book award

Not read the book, but I think most of them had. Moitessier was no beginner, likewise Chichester and Knox-Johnston. Crowhurst though, hmmm, poor guy. (It was about that 'race', wasn't it?). (If not... :oops: ).

Was really 'won' by BM (IMO), but as he didn't go back to the start, KJ got the back slaps... 'The Long Way' is worth a read.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Well he's been rescued.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

If you like real life epics in which extraordinary people chronicle their adventures, try these two:

Sailing alone around the world - Captain Joshua Slocumbe. 1899!

The Man Eaters of Tsavo - John Paterson 1907!

Real life adventures and tales of derring do… I love these sort of books.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Monsieur

Post by Monsieur »

Ann Mustoe's step son...sounds a real character!

I love the foreword to his book...

There is one activity so clearly meant for Ancients, so perfectly tailored to their physical capabilities, so cleverly designed to preserve and enhance their vitality that it is bewildering that few, so very few, ever discover it.

It is an activity that has at its prime precondition the slow and unconscious absorption of experience. It is an activity that enlivens the muscles as it oils the joints. It lengthens, preserves and justifies life. It throws the practitioner among the beautiful and adoring young. It confers an inviolable mantle of authority and allows you to wear a cute hat.

It takes you to faraway places, unreachable by jet by your richer and more moribund contemporaries. It tempts your taste buds with exotic offerings and disallows constipation by scaring the [inappropriate word removed] put of you. It fills your ancient eyes with new wonder. It contradicts the cynics and negates the naysayers. It is the way a man, especially and old guy, should live. And perhaps best of all, you may, if you choose (and why not?), use it to wallow luxuriously in the soothing mud hole of the world’s envy.

When the alarms and excursions of your life are over, when your kids are doctors and your wives have found better things to do, when your enemies have had their comeuppances and your friends all bore you, when obituaries prove interesting and when the prospect of earning even one more dollar appals, then the moment has come to look about for a boat in which to sail around the world. There simply ain’t nothing else worth doing.

Author unknown.

Solvitur ambulando
horizon

Post by horizon »

When I read that I thought, why not just insert cycling in place of sailing? It fits well.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Mr Mustoe now safe and dry.
Yachtsman Julian Mustoe, who is believed to live aboard the boat, was later safely taken on board the coastguard vessel, and his yacht was taken under tow.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mrjemm wrote:...
Not sure about his weather, but there's been some strong winds about, so perhaps his rig was damaged...

I thought it was a rudder issue (broken bit that could not be self-repaired at sea.

Ian
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Well yesterday they were saying on the news that he didn't want to be rescued and was ok to drift about until the weather calmed down and he was going to repair the rudder problem himself.
Now today, he has been 'rescued' by a Norwegian coastguard cutter and his boat towed until it sank for some unknown reason, bit of a shame.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Poor chap's lost nearly everything!
S