Should the tea shop close ?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NUKe

Should the tea shop close ?

Post by NUKe »

I thought the tea shop was supposed to be like the chat over tea on the local club run. But more and more it seems to be about pedalling political ideologies. I don't think some of the recent threads are appropriate to the CTC and does very little to endear a cycling charity to the rest of the world. One on going at the moment Is Britain full , another was on abortion. the thread on Jeremy Corbyn ran and ran.

If the people that are vociferous on these topics were face to face over a cup of tea, firstly they would probably follow the old rules of conversation leaving politics and religion out, but even if the discussion did get round to such topics, the mood would be more conciliatory, as they are talking to human beings .

As cyclist we are all from different back grounds and Ideologies, and once it gets to politics you are not going to change anyone's mind on an internet forum. So please people leave the politics on the other forums, it only makes us look bad, and concentrate on the cycling.
NUKe

Re: Should the tea shop close ?

Post by Mick F »

I agree with you.
I like a bit of fun in Tea Shop and a bit of lighthearted banter over a cuppa.

One of the "sort of problems" we have, is that the Fun and Games have been consigned to their own section, and because they have moved, no-one looks at them. The Three Word Story Game has died a death for instance. (some might say that that's a good thing)
viewforum.php?f=51

We need some humour and lightheartedness, and less "deep and meaningful" here in Tea Shop.
Mick F. Cornwall
beardy

Post by beardy »

Which makes me want to quote the person that I was arguing against, yet again.
We cannot have serious discussions here without some people (often the usual characters) derailing the thread because they want legitimate conversation shut down. They often succeed in their ends.

I would hate him to be right.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Would someone please resurrect the Three Word Story!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

NUKe wrote:...But more and more it seems to be about pedalling political ideologies...

Or, to put it another way, discussing things that impact our lives.

NUKe wrote:...If the people that are vociferous on these topics were face to face over a cup of tea, firstly they would probably follow the old rules of conversation leaving politics and religion out, but even if the discussion did get round to such topics, the mood would be more conciliatory, as they are talking to human beings.

Not where I come from. Politics and religion are not "excluded" topic and the only way to have a meaningful conversation is to express your opinions and listen to the opinions of others.

NUKe wrote:...As cyclist we are all from different back grounds and Ideologies, and once it gets to politics you are not going to change anyone's mind on an internet forum....

It is only by discussing things and listening to other people's opinions that we can refine our own opinions. True somebody is unlikely to move from a staunch Conservative supporter to an ardent Labour activist based on a discussion thread. However it might open the eyes of people on both sides of an issue to the facts and considerations from the other side, maybe making them more sympathetic or understanding or appreciative, etc.

NUKe wrote:... So please people leave the politics on the other forums, it only makes us look bad, and concentrate on the cycling.

It strikes me that the answer maybe that you don't look at those threads and let those who do enjoy such discussions discuss them. To me it seems a bit selfish to say "I don't like them so they should be stopped". Actually I think it reflects very well on the forum members that such controversial topics can be discussed by people of very different outlooks and that there seems relatively little in the way of personal attacks.

Some years ago, shortly after I moved to France I was invited out to a dinner party (challenge given my then limited French language skills) and it happened to be on the evening after the French had voted to reject the EU Lisbon Treaty. And the before dinner discussions got so heated at one point I was trying to remember the emergency ambulance number (but also decided to try and express my own opinions - I was not going to just sit there excluded). And then dinner was ready, discussion ended and everybody best of friends. They all got on well, all happy to argue about their viewpoints but were not going to let the fact that they disagreed on one issue interfere their friendships. And that I "got stuck-in" and expressed my own opinions apparently gained me some respect in the village.

Different people know answers to different questions. Questions only get answered when people who know the answers visit the forum. To have an active forum lots of people visiting regularly ensures that people get fast responses to questions. I've seen forums die in the past because the content was limited and the answer to any question became "Use the Search facility ...". Having a lively dynamic forum that allows people to disagree reflects well on the CTC and the forum itself. And I think the most aggressive argumentative thread I've seen on the forum was about QR Skewers !!

Ian
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

So long as it's clear from the thread title, surely people can just ignore the political ones if they want to? On days where I just want a quiet read, or to read something fun, I just avoid them.
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

Answer: No.

You do right to ask the question,but I'm returning to look,learn and digest those views on Is Britain Full?

Bye
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Psamathe wrote:
Some years ago, shortly after I moved to France I was invited out to a dinner party (challenge given my then limited French language skills) and it happened to be on the evening after the French had voted to reject the EU Lisbon Treaty. And the before dinner discussions got so heated at one point I was trying to remember the emergency ambulance number (but also decided to try and express my own opinions - I was not going to just sit there excluded). And then dinner was ready, discussion ended and everybody best of friends. They all got on well, all happy to argue about their viewpoints but were not going to let the fact that they disagreed on one issue interfere their friendships. And that I "got stuck-in" and expressed my own opinions apparently gained me some respect in the village.

Ian

I think it's a rather British thing about not discussing politics or religion. I remember my mother saying I ought not to disagree with any guest in the house on politics. Then when I went anywhere, she told me as I was a guest I ought not to disagree with my[i] host[/i] on politics.
In the end I asked when exactly did I get to express my opinions? :evil:

These days I don't discuss politics/religion when doing business. I hear, but I don't argue, and I don't agree verbally if I don't agree morally, if you see what I mean.
[i]Elsewhere[/i] I say what I think (but try to be fair to other people's sensitivities).
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

I like the political threads. I enjoy posts by horizon, Psamathe and bovlomov even though I often don't agree. And it's better than discussing h**mets.

Frankly I find threads like like the three-word-story game asinine. So I don't do them.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Flinders wrote:
Psamathe wrote:

Ian

These days I don't discuss politics/religion when doing business. I hear, but I don't argue, and I don't agree verbally if I don't agree morally, if you see what I mean.
[i]Elsewhere[/i] I say what I think (but try to be fair to other people's sensitivities).

I used to. Not in customer meetings but at other times (e.g. having coffee breaks, cigarette breaks, etc.) I'd happily discuss politics/religion and happily disagree with customers. And it helped a lot. Being a techy, I quickly got a reputation for saying what I believed. At sales meetings (me and a sales guy(s)) they would often ignore the sales guy and ask me things because they knew I would say what I thought and not just say what the customer wanted to hear. And I would on occasions sit in a pre sale meeting and tell the customer that what they wanted was daft and what they should be wanting was <x,y and z>. If the sales guy said something untrue (or not feasible) I would happily say that was wrong and correct it. And because the customer believed they were getting the "real truth" and not just "sales spiel" they were fine and the sales person was happy (because we were now trusted by the customer (90% of winning the business) and invariably got the contract).

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Ben@Forest wrote:...
Frankly I find threads like like the three-word-story game asinine. So I don't do them.

Likewise. But I don't for one moment think they should be stopped.

Ian
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

ICBA with political threads, they usually consist of folk expressing rock-hard expressions that nothing short of an AK47 is going to change.

Suggest creation of board entitled "Hyde Park Corner" complete with soap-boxes, and repatriation of the contents of "Fun & Games".
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Psamathe wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:...

Likewise. But I don't for one moment think they should be stopped.

Ian

Exactly
pwa

Post by pwa »

I plead guilty to starting the "Is Britain Full?" thread. I knew some might see the title as coming from a right wing xenophobic mind (not true) but I (hopefully) put such misapprehensions to rest with my subsequent comments. And (if it matters) population has a bearing on cycling if only because it relates to how busy the roads are.

My choice of topics for the Tea Shop is guided by what I would discuss with friends over tea and cakes. That would include the things the OP feels we ought not to discuss here. Politics, religion, ethics. All the things that matter. I would not expect to change any minds that did not want to be changed. I enjoy a bit of good natured argument. When it becomes tetchy it is less fun.

I think it is important that posts remain tolerant of alternative views, and that views expressed are socially acceptable.